Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Re: Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

Post by EquALLity »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:22 am Church A: Homosexuality is not a virtue or a sin, it's neutral. Do whatever you want, we do not condemn or promote any sexual orientation.

Church B: Church A is promoting homosexuality! They're trying to make you go gay!

Church B is clearly engaging in slander/libel against Church A, but under current law could not be prosecuted for it. It's not opinion, it's overt misrepresentation.

Church B can say gay is a sin as much as they want, and they can say Church A is wrong about the bible (their opinion), but the line is drawn at misrepresenting what others are actually saying and promoting.

Doctrine claiming learning is sinful is harder to enforce against. But people are NOT free to read for themselves on the internet if they're convinced they will go to hell for doing so. They are under duress as surely as you held a gun to their heads (which unknown to them was a toy gun), and they are not being allowed even to learn that they are being abused. This is the practice of cults, it should be outlawed.
But in their opinion, that church is promoting homosexuality by not being overtly against it.

Yes, people are free to do that. Just because they choose not to based on doctrine doesn't mean they don't have the legal right.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:22 am Church A: Homosexuality is not a virtue or a sin, it's neutral. Do whatever you want, we do not condemn or promote any sexual orientation.

Church B: Church A is promoting homosexuality! They're trying to make you go gay!

Church B is clearly engaging in slander/libel against Church A, but under current law could not be prosecuted for it. It's not opinion, it's overt misrepresentation.

Church B can say gay is a sin as much as they want, and they can say Church A is wrong about the bible (their opinion), but the line is drawn at misrepresenting what others are actually saying and promoting.
As a male who was raised in the church, and also has had more "romantic" partners who were male than there are recognized Christian "sects", I have to disagree with you.

Church B actually believes that by not condemning homosexuality https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+20%3A13&version=KJV, church A is promoting it. They aren't lying, they are using their interpretation of the Bible to actually (in their mind) save the souls of their parishioners from eternal damnation.

From a perspective of someone who is an avowed agnostic atheist, Church A doesn't truly teach what the Bible says, and they are using sloppy reasoning to explain how "oh, it says this, but what it means is that...

If we are going to prosecute people for misrepresenting religion, Church A is the one who isn't being honest to themselves or the parishioners; their trying to keep their profitable social structure in place by pretending to represent their preferred holy book.

in case it isn't clear to newcomers, I don't like either church. Just be nice to people and animals. Is that so damn hard?
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
esquizofrenico

Post by esquizofrenico »

I don't think Church B is lying either. According to Church B, Church A is committing a sin against charity, since it's not properly educating people on the religion.

To stablish a comparison, to someone that says: "There is not enough proof to determine whether the earth is flat or spherical. Both positions are equally rational", I would have no problem calling him out for promoting the flat earth theory. That is a lie and it is obviously going to reassess more flat eartherns than globetards (jk).

For Church B is the same: Church A is either by mistake or intentionally declaring a lack of certainty in a moral topic that is certain, and obviously the amount of gay people that are going to remain sexually active by believing that lie is higher (or at best equal) than the ones that would if they knew the truth. So they are promoting homosexuality, although maybe not intentionally.

PS: Does anybody know how long does it take until the system allows me to send Private Messages?
PS2: This would not be a problem if we had a stronger government that made sure through regulations that no forum ever discriminates people for being newbies.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

EquALLity wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:52 pm
Greatest I Am wrote:If your constitution allow for flagrant fraud, and the profiteering from your weakest and most gullible people, and the preaching of discrimination of gays and women without a just cause, thus creating second class citizens, then your constitution is garbage.
Just because you think something is a fragrant fraud doesn't mean everyone agrees with you, so you cannot legislate based on that.

We cannot stop people from profiteering from the weak and gullible. Do you support capitalism? If you do, you support corporations profiting often paying their workers low wages that make it hard for them to support their families. That is preying on the weak. You can try to prevent that from happening as much as possible with regulations, but it's always going to happen.

The preaching of discrimination has to be allowed unless you want to give the government the power to regulate any speech it doesn't like. If you disagree with speech, then use your free speech to argue against it.
I hear you and your fears are talking points but you have to remember that it is the courts who would decide which are fraudulent religions based on what is brought before it.
Yes, the courts, which are groups of people randomly selected citizens who have different religious beliefs... And most people are religious.
If you do not trust your political and legal system, which presently decide to move against religions or not, then you should be against my proposal out of fear of abuse.
I don't trust the government, because it changes constantly, so what speech is banned will just be determined by what group is in power at that point in time.
Your systems are supposed to have checks and balances built into them and regardless of the changing political and religious conditions, should be able to keep thing clean and honest. If not, that means a break down of laws and order and I have no idea what that would lead to.
Checks and balances cannot stop a government from changing election to election.
Progress is only one step at a time and what I propose seems like the most altruistic move I can think of to end the homophobia and misogyny that the mainstream religions preach for and create. If those who have power like religions do cannot preach the law of the land, they should be removed or replaced with religions that are as moral as your secular law.
I disagree that it is the most altruistic move based on the potential consequences. It will establish a precedent that speech can be banned for being "fraudulent", which can be used to ban good speech by saying it's fraudulent.
Polygamy was outlawed because of the law of the land and a better moral position and I think that thinking should be applied to the protection of the weakest and most gullible minds in your country. The ones who have been brainwashed from youth.
Why should polygamy be illegal?
Because there are too many unruly single men for society to allow only the rich and powerful to reproduce.

I have nothing against polygamy when desirable. I have a problem with individual men creating a malignant tumor of DNA that could end in killing many.

The polygamists are generally religious people. They recognize the un-naturalness of polygamy in the biological sense and growing they should do unto others, would likely not resist changing their customs. After all, it is only a custom. Not a law.

In fact, It is against natural law in species such as ours.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

EquALLity wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:52 pm
I don't trust the government, because it changes constantly, so what speech is banned will just be determined by what group is in power at that point in time.
Do you not trust the judgement of your fellow citizens or yourself to know good from evil?

It is easy to tell when a society profits or not. Is Inquisitions and Jihads good or evil?

Your answer shows you know good from evil. So do your neighbors.

Your justice and governments have much expertise in judging good from evil.

If not, the intelligential and oligarchs who run the real world from within the masses will soon buy a new reality.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

PsYcHo wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:29 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:59 am What religion has not infringed on the rights of gays and women?
Thus my point, any religion, either considered mainstream or even something as fringe as scientology, should be free to do as they wish- unless they infringe upon the rights of others.

War infringes on everyone and the mainstream religions are the cause of most of them. They have been the majority.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoxPapPxXk

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

EquALLity wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:19 am [
I'm not sure what you mean by the same level of regulation of religion. How do you translate regulation of the healthcare industry to regulation of speech?
Are there no bully laws?

Translate healthy body and healthy mind, free from brainwashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACyLTsH4ac

The immoral religions have to go. They are in the way of our societal evolution to civilization.

Regards
DL
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Greatest I Am wrote:I have nothing against polygamy when desirable. I have a problem with individual men creating a malignant tumor of DNA that could end in killing many.
?
Do you not trust the judgement of your fellow citizens or yourself to know good from evil?

It is easy to tell when a society profits or not. Is Inquisitions and Jihads good or evil?

Your answer shows you know good from evil. So do your neighbors.

Your justice and governments have much expertise in judging good from evil.

If not, the intelligential and oligarchs who run the real world from within the masses will soon buy a new reality.

Regards
DL
Not everything is as simple as whether or not inquisitions and jihads are good or bad...
Are there no bully laws?

Translate healthy body and healthy mind, free from brainwashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACyLTsH4ac

The immoral religions have to go. They are in the way of our societal evolution to civilization.

Regards
DL
?
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

EquALLity wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:21 pm Just because something results in exploitation doesn't mean it isn't the best option.
Honestly.

I think if your unfortunate enough to be the victim of fraud by anyone, to the point of losing a significant amount of money, then that's your cross to bear, is like telling those neighbors of yours, that even if they he calls the authorities, nothing would be done to look into the theft.

I hope your neighbors do not tell you that my friend. If they are such poor citizens, give me a call and I will see if I can help.

Regards
DL
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:08 pm
EquALLity wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:21 pm Just because something results in exploitation doesn't mean it isn't the best option.
Honestly.

I think if your unfortunate enough to be the victim of fraud by anyone, to the point of losing a significant amount of money, then that's your cross to bear, is like telling those neighbors of yours, that even if they he calls the authorities, nothing would be done to look into the theft.

I hope your neighbors do not tell you that my friend. If they are such poor citizens, give me a call and I will see if I can help.

Regards
DL
It's not the same though, because they made the choice to give televangelists their money with access to information about televangelists not giving what they promise.