Mass Shootings

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Mass Shootings

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PsYcHo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:23 am If I had someone extremely intelligent design it, couldn't you entertain the possibility that it may be preferable to the other two options being presented? Glocks for Kindergartner teachers! / Make an inanimate object illegal! ,(like heroin; it's illegal, therefore no one who wants heroin can acquire it!)
It doesn't matter how intelligent the designer is. DARPA has been working on stuff like this for years and has never accomplished anything like this.
Some things just aren't practical.

And gun regulation isn't as you're representing it. We don't have to stop everybody from getting guns; there will always be illegal guns, but the price will increase a hundred times and it will push them out of the reach of *most* of these shooters.
Not out of the reach of gangs, but out of the reach of kids with mental illness.

Also, it doesn't even need to be all guns to make a difference, read this:
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/02/what-i-saw-treating-the-victims-from-parkland-should-change-the-debate-on-guns/553937/
PsYcHo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:23 amor.. telling everyone in a country that has literally more guns than people that they should all turn in their guns...And our massive government totally promises not to take advantage of a disarmed public. You know, like we promised the Native Americans who were here first..... but history never repeats itself so it'll totally be all cool this time...
Nobody has to turn in their guns. Just stop selling them to just anybody.
Existing guns can stay locked up in homes.
PsYcHo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:23 amPropane tank(s), magnesium, little to no technical knowledge/ large trucks/ .... I'm going to stop here because I don't want to end up on a watch list.
Sure, and they could react the same way to traq cameras...
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:21 pm Nobody has to turn in their guns. Just stop selling them to just anybody.
Existing guns can stay locked up in homes.
I don't want this to devolve into an (oft repeated) debate about guns. This thread is about mass shootings, and your's is a logical consideration, but the "spirit" of my debate was about "are there any practical, easily deployable solutions to deal with gun violence, that don't involve either banning guns, or giving guns to everyone?" (Perhaps I should have worded the intro to more accurately reflect the loosely based topic I'm attempting to receive advice on. )

My TranqCams(tm) are just an idea. (And I know, not a great one. But all great ideas are built upon something, usually something with a lot of room for improvement ;) )

I'll re-word my initial question;

Does anyone have any ideas about how to deal with mass shootings in an immediate and practical application? Preferably without using talking points from either of the major political parties in the US. (I'd love to hear from our friends across the pond as well.)
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:50 am
You'd do better just to build in doors that shut and isolate the gunman but let other students out. Harder to hack to attack the student body (annoy yes, harm no), and you're unlikely to have a coordinated attack of gunman
This is an excellent idea.

This is from earlier in the thread, but a practical idea that seems easy to implement.

Taxation is theft.
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

This (referring to original post not recent comments) sounds like an excellent idea for a science fiction movie rather than a realistic one.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

Jamie in Chile wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:03 pm This (referring to original post not recent comments) sounds like an excellent idea for a science fiction movie rather than a realistic one.
You know, I really didn't take it to seriously myself, but since you bring up science fiction....

A lot of improbable technology that has benefited mankind started as some silly idea by a science fiction writer. And a lot of ideas that were first pitched ended up evolving into a rather practical, and now used, technology.

I'd like to see suggestions for practical, technology based solutions to the mass shooting problem that aren't just re-hashed political talking points.

Taxation is theft.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

Between now and the time I initially posted this, there have been at least two more mass shootings.

My idea isn't ideal. But windshield wipers and seat belts were also seen as "crazy" at one time.

There are a lot of smart people on this forum.

Does anyone have a practical, science/technology based idea to help with this problem?

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

The most practical is to ban sale (not ownership) of certain kinds of guns that do the most damage.
Beyond that, require background checks for the rest of the guns.

Criminals will still get guns, of course, because they have the money to do so as a business expense. So will crazy adults. But young people will not have the financial means.

The next most practical thing is just installing metal detectors at school entrances with guards as exist in many urban schools already (these schools don't have school shootings, it's too difficult to get a gun in).

The only scifi solution within reach is cameras and networked self-locking doors.

Here's an impractical scifi solution that at least probably wouldn't hurt:
Make gun manufacturers install cameras on their guns with processors and software that prohibit them from firing on human beings unless that person is approaching or holding a gun. They also won't fire if the camera is covered or view obscured by something near the camera. They could also be equipped with GPS that made them not function in schools no matter what.
It would be prone to error, but it would at least be an impediment to murderers and mass shooters.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:50 amA limited ban on guns is the only proven method to avoid gun violence in schools, but technology like that could help.
What do you mean? Also, proven by what?
You can get a gun anywhere, but you can't always afford one anywhere.
Can't black markets accommodate this need since guns are so plentiful?
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

Cirion Spellbinder wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:02 pm Can't black markets accommodate this need since guns are so plentiful?
And if they aren't plentiful in certain areas, technology is. (Video from 2013; I'm guessing they've gotten better since)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH76VoI_hsw

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Cirion Spellbinder wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:02 pm What do you mean? Also, proven by what?
Other countries.
Cirion Spellbinder wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:02 pmCan't black markets accommodate this need since guns are so plentiful?
Once sale stopped, guns would quickly be absorbed by criminals who can pay more for them than children.
You only have to make them so expensive it pushes them out of the reach of most would be school shooters.