Women's March 2018

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training
Diet: Vegan

Women's March 2018

Post by Lightningman_42 »

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask you all some questions about the recent Women's March that took place across the U.S.A. Since some of you talk about politics and social issues here on this forum, I thought that this might be a good place to ask.

What rights for women was the 2018 Women's March supposed to achieve?

Did the 2018 Women's March do a good job of achieving those rights for women? If so, how?

Why did so many of the people marching wear those hideous pink "pussyhats"? To clarify, I just don't understand how so many people could enjoy wearing such gaudy, tasteless hats. How does wearing these hats help achieve the goals of the march, or even allow those wearing them to be taken seriously?

Please share what you thought of the 2018 Women's March. Was it good activism? Why or why not?

Thank you for your insights.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Women's March 2018

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I think it means more as a matter of optics against republicans than anything else.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: Women's March 2018

Post by PsYcHo »

As long as it is non-violent, I don't believe any activism is bad activism.

And as far as the hats, apologies to anyone who wore one/attended the march(es), but all I can think of is Meg from family guy.

I personally don't agree with the most extreme elements responsible for this particular protest, or even some of the more mainstream ones, but since women have historically been less advantaged than men, I see nothing wrong with women making it a point to air their grievances, if for no other reason than to ensure the progress made continues to lead to an equal field/ maintain the equality they already have.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.