Is God competent or incompetent?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Greatest I am
Diet: Vegan

Post by Greatest I am »

We are told in scriptures that evil begets evil and good begets good. God, as our creator, according to scriptures, creates us all as sinners, which many see as evil.

God can thus be seen and judged as being the original sinner since the fruits of his labor (us) went bad or are born bad. A tree is known by its fruits. What else could come from a sinner tree but sin?

I give God a fail on competence for the following reasons.
God created heaven that produced Satan. Fail.
God created Eden which produced Original Sin. Fail.
God had to reboot creation with Noah’s flood. Fail.
God sent his son to forgive mankind instead of stepping up himself. Fail, for moral reasons.
God also had to create hell for his rejects which scriptures say will be the vast majority of us. Fail.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds and if we believe that, then the Christian God would obviously be rejected by Jesus and agree with my fail judgement.

Do you agree?

Regards
DL
Lay Vegan

Re: Is God competent or incompetent?

Post by Lay Vegan »

Greatest I am wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:57 pm We are told in scriptures that evil begets evil and good begets good. God, as our creator, according to scriptures, creates us all as sinners, which many see as evil.
By this logic, God is either a sinner himself, or evil.
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:57 pm I give God a fail on competence for the following reasons.
God sent his son to forgive mankind instead of stepping up himself. Fail, for moral reasons.
God also had to create hell for his rejects which scriptures say will be the vast majority of us. Fail.
Let's suppose the Christian god were real and witnesses all of the suffering taking place in the world. "He" is either 1; not capable of ending all suffering in the world (he isn't omnipotent) or 2; He is apathetic to the suffering of the world (basically a psychopath).

Pick your poison :D
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:57 pm Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds and if we believe that, then the Christian God would obviously be rejected by Jesus and agree with my fail judgement.

Do you agree?
Yes, agreed. Certainly no finite transgression would seem befitting of eternal damnation. Can you think of a crime worthy of eternal punishment? Why would a loving God create such a place of torment for his own creation?
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Lay Vegan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:58 am
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:57 pm We are told in scriptures that evil begets evil and good begets good. God, as our creator, according to scriptures, creates us all as sinners, which many see as evil.
By this logic, God is either a sinner himself, or evil.
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:57 pm I give God a fail on competence for the following reasons.
Let's suppose the Christian god were real and witnesses all of the suffering taking place in the world. "He" is either 1; not capable of ending all suffering in the world (he isn't omnipotent) or 2; He is apathetic to the suffering of the world (basically a psychopath).

Pick your poison :D
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:57 pm Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds and if we believe that, then the Christian God would obviously be rejected by Jesus and agree with my fail judgement.

Do you agree?
Yes, agreed. Certainly no finite transgression would seem befitting of eternal damnation. Can you think of a crime worthy of eternal punishment? Why would a loving God create such a place of torment for his own creation?
I actually have a short and sweet O.P waiting in my files that speaks to this.

-------------

To punish a person after death is the vilest concept I can think of.

Can you think of a worst one?

If you agree, what does that say of God?

We seem to be on the same page on God.

I hope you are actively showing your good sense at other, more lively, debate or discussion sites.

The sooner the more immoral religions die, the better we will all be.

Regards
DL
AlexanderVeganTheist

Post by AlexanderVeganTheist »

Greatest I am wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:57 pm Is God competent or incompetent?

We are told in scriptures that evil begets evil and good begets good. God, as our creator, according to scriptures, creates us all as sinners, which many see as evil.
What makes you think scriptures are the best way to get to know the source of our existence? :)
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

AlexanderVeganTheist wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:55 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:57 pm Is God competent or incompetent?

What makes you think scriptures are the best way to get to know the source of our existence? :)
I do not. I think science is even though both science and religion are now in a position of both having Gods of the Gap.
Science has a better chance though given the record of successful explanations.

Regards
DL
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

AlexanderVeganTheist wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:55 pm What makes you think scriptures are the best way to get to know the source of our existence? :)
Hey! Welcome back!

Sorry, I won't interrupt.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

In response to the original question-

Yes.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

PsYcHo wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:56 pm In response to the original question-

Yes.
I agree. I think.

Regards
DL
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

Given the amount of meaningless suffering in the world, God is either impotent or evil
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

knot wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:06 am Given the amount of meaningless suffering in the world, God is either impotent or evil
If you look at the morality his religion preaches, then you have to land on evil.

Regards
DL