Discussing religion with religious people

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Discussing religion with religious people

Post by Jebus »

It's been a while since I've brought up religion on this forum but I have recently changed my approach when talking to religious people and it has worked quite well.

At least 95% of the people in my country are highly religious and it it is not unusual for me to get caught up in a discussion about religion. Previously (when talking to Christians) I have tried to use my (somewhat significant) biblical knowledge when discussing/debating. I recently realized that it is more effective to act as if I have never previously heard of the God they are describing.

i.e.
What do you mean when you say God?
How do you know he did that?
Really? Wow! what you are telling me is quite extraordinary. What makes you believe that?

While this approach is not at all confrontational, it is a good way of forcing the religious person to address inconsistencies without leaning back on pillars that s/he believes are commonly known or agreed upon.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Discussing religion with religious people

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Absolutely, like Anthony Magnabosco's street epistemology.

And they feel good about the conversation, because they get to be experts and teach you something... except they may come to realize they don't know what they're talking about on their own and start questioning.

Adopting this for veganism is possible, but a little tricky. It takes a lot of time and patience, since veganism isn't just hypothetical, it's also about empirical facts (like nutrition) which have personal implications.

Like if people are questioning your veganism, you can treat them as experts, and ask them (as somebody might a doctor) if they think you need to eat meat and why rather than telling them nobody needs to.
sykkelmannen
Diet: Freegan

Post by sykkelmannen »

That sounds like a fun way to approach the debate Jebus :) however it seems to me that the most clueless of people happen to have pretty strong opinions. Surely you have heard this one before: It's true because it's written in the Bible. Duh.
The most bulletproof argument I've ever heard is that It's God's plan. Don't ask me. HE knows why.

You mentioned it's more effective. I have never managed to bring any christian to question any of their beliefs. Have you? In such case I must adopt your approach :)
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

sykkelmannen wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:15 pmYou mentioned it's more effective. I have never managed to bring any christian to question any of their beliefs. Have you? In such case I must adopt your approach :)
I have had success with my own wife who was religious when we met but has since lost her faith. Apart from that, I don't except full conversion. I only hope to plant a seed of doubt.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.