Trey Parker Should Lay Off The Fatty Foods (and non-sequiturs)

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
AKiry
Diet: Reducetarian

Re: Trey Parker Should Lay Off The Fatty Foods (and non-sequiturs)

Post by AKiry »

Well, his argument about the early universe and first causes is rather silly. Explaining the existence of the Universe by 'God did it' or 'something did it' does in no way ameliorate the problem of first causes, but simply pushes the question one step further i.e God's God. In any case, it has been known for a number of years that the early universe was a strange place governed by quantum mechanics and as such cause and effect then are not what we think now when we examine the universe today of large things. You can read this article for better info:

https://physics.aps.org/articles/v5/142

On cause and effect being scrambled on the tiny scale, this article is very interesting:

https://www.nature.com/news/how-quantum-trickery-can-scramble-cause-and-effect-1.22208
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Post by Red »

Jebus wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:05 am Isn't that a bit like a republican telling Bill Maher that he should stop joking about Trump and other republican politicians.
It really all depends on what he says. If it has a negative impact more than anything, it's probably best to avoid it. If you're making fun of someone and it has a neutral effect (other than hurting some people's feelings), I don't think it's all that big of a deal.
Jebus wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:05 am I don't think Parker and Stone have an agenda but even if they did I don't think this is anything we could criticize them for. The only "fine line" in my opinion is whether it is funny or not. Sam Kinison joked about the African famine while millions were dying. Normally I would think this topic was inappropriate but since the bit was hilarious I applauded him rather than criticized him.
You can make fun of things all you want (it could actually be helpful depending on the context), but if it makes people start thinking less of the situation, then I'd say it's not helping.
Jebus wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:05 amhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMyb0vPtaj0
Oh come on, that wasn't really that funny.
Anyways, I think this clip is more criticizing the folks who make the ad campaigns, and stupid people who say they should get out of Africa than the famine itself.
Just cross your fingers and hope nobody actually sends U-Hauls.
Jebus wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:05 am I think that is a question for someone who actually likes the show. Perhaps it has/had a shock factor that people appreciate in this age of political correctness. Hell if I know.
I've been watching for over decade, and I'm not sure, since it changes every season.
To be honest, going back and rewatching a lot of episodes, it's not anywhere near as funny as I once thought it being. So I guess neither of us know this recipe =p
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

South Park works because it routinely slaughters the "sacred cow" of the day. It's entertaining to watch something you hate be belittled, but when they attack something that you personally hold sacred (your own "sacred cow"), it forces you to think about your position on the subject.

That's why they even attacked themselves.

Love it or hate it, they make really valid points on a myriad of topics, and they include a bunch of fart jokes. Sometimes people take debating difficult topics too seriously (we've all read a comment section, right?), and they take on difficult subject matter while still making fun of it; If someone you disagree with vehemently can make you laugh, you might just accept them enough to really listen to the argument you already decided you disagree with.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Red wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:15 pmIf it has a negative impact more than anything, it's probably best to avoid it.
Negative impact according to whom?

Scientologists probably thought their presence on the show had a negative impact. Since the acting agents in this case are Parker and Stone only they would know whether or not all the potential consequences were considered. If their show has a negative impact on the liberal movement perhaps they consider that a good thing, or perhaps they don't care the least. Of course, they also have to consider if what they put on the show will be considered funny which in turn will affect profitability of future shows.
Red wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:15 pmit's probably best to avoid it.
Given the context I assume you meant avoid making the episode (or part of the episode that will have a negative impact). It would make more sense if you meant avoid watching the show (if you, through your own lenses perceive the show having a negative impact on the world).

How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Jebus, the negative impact isn't according to me.
If a comedian makes a skit promoting pseudoscience and moral apathy (both of which South Park has dabbled with in the past, there's a whole RationalWiki article on them), then that's something I'd say is best avoided. Remember that morality is objective.

I'm aware, it sucks, but some people can be swayed by others if they're funny. I'm not really concerned with offending anyone if done with comedy, but if it does more harm than good, you know.

Just because I avoid watching the show doesn't mean I'm immune from South Park's influence. With a show that popular, you're bound to see people use statements made in episodes as arguments (and I have).
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci