Best way of disposing oneself

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Best way of disposing oneself

Post by Jebus »

PsYcHo wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:23 am
Jebus wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:16 am
PsYcHo wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:43 amThe other 20% could be converted to fertilizer if only it was allowed. (It would likely be the only positive thing they have ever done.)
That's actually an excellent idea. I've been thinking about the best way of disposing myself but perhaps that's a topic for another thread.
https://greenburialcouncil.org/home/what-is-green-burial/ That would make an interesting topic.
The green burial is a lot better than the traditional burial but it is far from ideal as it still requires a plot of land that could be put to better use.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Best way of disposing oneself

Post by Jebus »

There are so many things wrong with the traditional burial. Just to mention a few:

The wood, glue, and construction of the casket.
The transport of all the people back and forth to the funeral.
The wasted time of all the funeral attendees.
The usage of land that could be used for planting trees and/or other food.
The opportunity cost of all the money spent on the funeral.

The best alternative idea I can think of partly comes from comedian Louis CK. If the legal obstacles could be overcome, it would be the perfect way of disposing myself.

As soon as possible after I die, and useful organs have been harvested, my body is put in a room where necrophiles and other perverts pay to have their way with me. A part of the profit will be used for my body's final boat trip to the location where my body will be thrown in the water to be eaten by sharks. The rest of the money will be given to the Humane Society.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: Best way of disposing oneself

Post by PsYcHo »

:shock:
Green, but gross.

But no harm, no foul, right?

I did once see a news segment about a company who just buried people in an already established forest. The plots could then be planted over with a tree, to add to the forest. And since the land wasn't suitable for farming,the space taken up by the corpse didn't harm anything. I believe they also had a time limit upon which the grave could be re-used. (Since the body would decompose, in a hundred years, plant another one.)

I do find it baffling that so many people care about what happens to their body after death.

I'm considering donating mine to science. If people can learn to save lives by cutting up my corpse, then even in death I've done something positive.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.