Should I get a degree in Ethics?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Gxt59z2U3aF
Diet: Vegan

Should I get a degree in Ethics?

Post by Gxt59z2U3aF »

I'm considering getting a degree in public ethics. Is this a good idea? Does anyone have any advice?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Should I get a degree in Ethics?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

What kind of career do you want to pursue?
Gxt59z2U3aF

Post by Gxt59z2U3aF »

Im not quite sure but im really interested in ethical issues.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Exmly wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:24 pm Im not quite sure but im really interested in ethical issues.
The best bet would probably be hobby study, or perhaps a minor. Degrees are usually more for application to certain jobs, particularly to a large company or academia.

Have you taken any career aptitude tests?

https://80000hours.org/career-quiz
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

As a person long out of college, and having a partner also out of college, and having friends who majored in many different subjects,

NO! NO! NO!

....Of course my reply is based on certain factors,

Are you taking out student loans to pursue this degree?

Do you have a definitive job offer based upon you acquiring this degree?

Are you so passionate about ethics that you are willing to go tens of thousands of dollars in debt to learn that which you could learn for free by reading already published books?

I'm not trying to be an ass, but if you care about ethics, there are many ways you can learn about the different studies involving them; and most of them don't cost tens of thousands of dollars. If you have a free ride through college and no worries about supporting yourself in the near future, then sure, go ahead.

Otherwise, maybe consider a different path, and pursue ethics as a hobby. ;)
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
capgunmatt

Post by capgunmatt »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:33 pm What kind of career do you want to pursue?
I think the better question is: "do you want a career?"

I was enrolled to study philosophy, but unenrolled and changed to a STEM topic. In my free time I read philosophy and study it diligently.

You may be in a different situation in life, but there are essentially no jobs for a straight up philsophy degree, not at least without teaching or some other extra. Do you want to be a teacher?

Find a philosophy group or a discord channel (hint hint) and discuss philosophy on your own terms.