Carbon offset programs

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Carbon offset programs

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:59 pmDo you drive quite a bit? That seems to be what's hurting your total the most.
Did it ask you what kind of terrain, and if it's a hybrid?
My work requires me to drive, on average, about 45 minutes per day. Yes, the calculator did ask if car was a hybrid. It didn't ask what kind of terrain but that wouldn't be to my advantage.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:59 pm You probably can't do much better than how you are unless you brew your own beer (it's mostly the bottles that are the issue, I would guess)
I would love to brew my own beer, but that's illegal where I live. Do reusable bottles really leave that much of a footprint?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 pm It didn't ask what kind of terrain but that wouldn't be to my advantage.
Hybrids don't perform much better on flat highways, but they do significantly better on hilly roads/stop and start driving since they have regenerative breaking.
Although they don't do better on hilly roads/stop and start than they do on highways, so it probably doesn't make a difference.

It would only make a difference if they knew it was hilly or stop and start driving but they didn't know it was a hybrid.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:59 pm I would love to brew my own beer, but that's illegal where I live. Do reusable bottles really leave that much of a footprint?
Reusable? Absolutely.
But not recyclable. Recycling glass doesn't save that much energy. (It saves some energy, so still do if it you can, but it's not like recycling aluminum which is huge).

You melt sand to make glass. You have to melt the glass to recycle it. Most of the energy goes into the melting.

If you're just washing and sterilizing the glass then refilling it, that's an enormous savings.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Jebus wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 pm I would love to brew my own beer, but that's illegal where I live.
If you aren't selling it to others, and you aren't bragging to everyone about brewing your own, then chances are extremely low you will be caught. (You don't strike me as the type of person who has the constables summoned to his home regularly.) :twisted:
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:16 pm Recycling glass doesn't save that much energy. (It saves some energy, so still do if it you can, but it's not like recycling aluminum which is huge).
What's the purpose of recycling glass bottles when they can just be washed and reused? I also try to buy bottles that don't have a paper label.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

PsYcHo wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:21 pm
Jebus wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 pm I would love to brew my own beer, but that's illegal where I live.
If you aren't selling it to others, and you aren't bragging to everyone about brewing your own, then chances are extremely low you will be caught
The problem is that hops don't grow where I live and I would probably go to prison if I get caught at the border trying to import it.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Jebus wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:24 am
The problem is that hops don't grow where I live and I would probably go to prison if I get caught at the border trying to import it.
Holy shit, prison?! ....that seems reasonable for a victim-less crime. :shock:

Well, unless you buy some off the dark net (but if you get prison for hops, then maybe no) I could give you some homemade wine/moonshine recipes. Fruit/corn, yeast, sugar, some jars/ballons.

(Funny, I'm surprised you could face prison for hops, when I could face prison for marijuana, two harmless plants.. We should start a thread on that cosmic injustice. )
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

PsYcHo wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:52 am
Jebus wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:24 am
Holy shit, prison?! ....that seems reasonable for a victim-less crime. :shock:

Well, unless you buy some off the dark net (but if you get prison for hops, then maybe no) I could give you some homemade wine/moonshine recipes. Fruit/corn, yeast, sugar, some jars/ballons.

(Funny, I'm surprised you could face prison for hops, when I could face prison for marijuana, two harmless plants.. We should start a thread on that cosmic injustice. )
I'm not sure if it would be prison, but they are very strict here about illegal imports. Anyway, my plan is to start growing sativa marijuana as soon as I get my own property. Hopefully, weed will replace my beer consumption.
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

Jebus wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:14 am
Jamie in Chile wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:10 pmI just looked it up and I actually calculated my personal CO2e (not including my kids) for 2016 at 6 tonnes
Is there a calculator that considers what type of food you eat? The calculator I used gave me the following annual values:

House 1.99 metric tons of CO2e
Flights 1.74 metric tons of CO2e
Car 3.82 metric tons of CO2e
Secondary 5.54 metric tons of CO2e (3.22 of this is food and drink which I assume is lower since the calculator didn't ask what I eat)

I really feel awful after doing this. I drive a hybrid car which I only use for work, ride my bicycle whenever possible, eat a plant based diet, only drink local beer, travel once per year and still I get such a huge foot print.
I use http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx for household and transport, and I used the Guardian calculator for food and general consumption and my share of public/government services (military, hospital, schools, road construction etc), but all these are more of a rough estimate.

Your household number. I assume that is from heating, cooking and electricity. (Another factor to consider is the carbon used to build the house, this is NOT negligible.) Consider if you can tolerate a winter temperature of say 2C lower, wear more clothes, more insulation, take a shorter shower or coller temperatures. For your next house, consider that a smaller house impacts both on heating emissions and embedded carbon in construction. If you're really serious, there's always solar panels. However I suspect your household number is not where your greatest gains are to made, but I wouldn't neglect it either.

Flights - I've talked about this before. We all just need to fly less, cut it down to the essentials or fly less often but for longer. (I have not always practiced what I preached, however.) Does your estimate include a 2x factor for radiative forcing?

Cars - your number looks high but if you drive 45 minutes per day that is not a surprise. Just try and be creative and cut the total miles you drive per year somehow. If it's for work that can be tricky but the number looks too high to ignore.

Food - very strange that it didn't ask you questions about your diet. Margin for error is quite high for food since it depends whether and how you include forest destruction, secondary effects of land use etc. However 3 tonnes CO2e is probably about right for a meat eater, but by eliminating beef you can probably reduce it to closer to 2, if you are mostly vegan or vegan it is more likely about 1.5 and if you manage to throw away almost no food at all, and eat local food avoiding anything from outside your continent that might have been air freighted, buy foods with less packaging, and avoid bottled water almost completely, you could perhaps achieve 1.0. Less than that is going to be hard.

Read How Bad Are Bananas by Mike Berners Lee to learn more about these topics, including quantifying stuff, and it helps you figure out how to cut your emissions.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Thanks for the tips
Jamie in Chile wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:03 pm Flights - Does your estimate include a 2x factor for radiative forcing?
Don't know. What's this?
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

A certain amount of fuel burned in the high atmopshere by a plane will create more global warming than the same fuel burned at ground level. No-one really knows how much, but about doubling the effect is the best estimate.

https://www.treehugger.com/aviation/what-the-heck-is-radiative-forcing-why-should-my-aviation-carbon-offset-include-it.html has more.

You might want to check your flight calculation again with the website http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.asp where you can tick the box to include radiative forcing.

Admittedly the true figure is not known very accurately, but 2x is probably a better estimate than just ignoring it.