How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Greatest I am
Diet: Vegan

Post by Greatest I am »

I find it quite strange that Christian, Muslims and Jews can ignore the immoral ways that their God is shown to have in the Bible, Qur’an and Talmud.

If you have read any of the critical books on God, you will have seen God described with some rather disingenuous terms that, if applied to a man, would see that man executed by any moral government in quick order. The Buddhist saying that if you ever meet God, kill him seems quite fitting. Frankly, I think killing him without making him suffer for a time would be too good for him. If hell were real, that would be a better end for him as mankind would surely need to see that torture to gain real closure for God’s crimes against humanity. This aside.

I can appreciate the value for society of local churches, mosques and temples but cannot fathom why lying priests, preachers and imams try to sell their God as a good God, when he is obviously more satanic than Satan. Perhaps scripture speak at least one truth in that the whole world would be deceived by Satan and his lying preachers and imams. Not that I believe in Satan.

As a Gnostic Christian, my focus has been to try to become a Parfait, a perfected moral man, using the methods Jesus taught. It has been a long climb up Jacob’s ladder and apotheosis put me up one rung and I have tried to climb higher, but seem to have stalled due to my inability to find arguments that are persuasive enough to loosen Satan’s grip on the minds of Christians, Muslims and Jews. Their need of fellowship is stronger than their work on their moral sense and they stay in their religions even though they know that their God is immoral and not worthy of their idol worship. This Gnostic Christian truth is not a flattering epithet for God, which is likely what cause their destruction by Inquisition.

The truth hurts the religious even when given with a loving touch. I am not that good at that but have seen good honest lovers of Christ get verbally abused by theists. They think hate is motivating those who speak against their God even when love is the motivator. Hate is born of love, and the Gnostic hate of God is justified on moral grounds, and the attempted correction of a believers moral sense and their thinking is done out of love. They forget that that is how Jesus was and how that love driven expression of hate with what he saw around him almost got him killed at the hands of the Jews. So the myth says.

The fact that I have had many theists resist entering into moral argument of their God indicates that they know that their God is immoral. I can appreciate that once a person accepts the fellowship that his tribal nature seeks, and he can survive without having better morals, he is loath to jeopardize the comfort zone he has created for himself. The problem is that theists are living in self-deception and for one who seeks or has attained Gnosis, a deeper knowing of himself, self-deception is basically not allowed. That is why I have to bother fighting a fight that is almost un-winnable.

If you have an answer to the question I posed at the onset, please enlighten me as I am quite disappointed to see so many living in self-deception and without Gnosis, and following Gods who are demonstrably more Satan like than God like.

In the terrible days that we will face from environmental degradation that will soon be upon us, a new and moral God will be required and we presently do not have one.

I recognize that our tribal and fellowship needs are quite strong and a part of our basic instincts. Do you have any idea as to how we can break Satan’s hold on Christians, Muslims and Jews and change their fellowship and tribal needs to a need for a God with decent moral values?

Regards
DL
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways?

Post by PsYcHo »

Greatest I am wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:35 am How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways?
Who says they are ignoring them? Aren't many actually adhering to their God's immoral ways, thus causing so many problems?

The ones who ignore their God's immoral ways are usually people raised into a faith which they try to twist around to make it seem more moral; they are good people and should be applauded for at least trying to make their faith less harmful to practice. I find no joy and no point in attacking moral people for clinging to a faith that isn't what they portray it to be; their delusions are morally based.

I find it much more troubling the ones who try to adhere to their God's actual mandates. They are the scary ones who base their version of morality on whatever is either A- actually written in the holy book. B- Whatever someone else has told them is in their holy book.
Greatest I am wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:35 am If you have an answer to the question I posed at the onset, please enlighten me as I am quite disappointed to see so many living in self-deception and without Gnosis, and following Gods who are demonstrably more Satan like than God like.
I've often considered that Satan likely wasn't that bad of a deity, being as how God was represented and Satan was the antithesis of him.

Eschew all earthly pleasures, and spend eternity worshiping the deity who told you to eschew all pleasures. (Really, bowing and singing your praises for ETERNITY. Gee, that sounds as much fun as it did the one hour a week I was forced to as a child. :evil: )
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Greatest I am
Diet: Vegan

Re: How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways?

Post by Greatest I am »

PsYcHo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:12 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:35 am How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways?
Who says they are ignoring them? Aren't many actually adhering to their God's immoral ways, thus causing so many problems?
I will give you that and just say I like your style. My kingdom for such eloquence.
The ones who ignore their God's immoral ways are usually people raised into a faith which they try to twist around to make it seem more moral; they are good people and should be applauded for at least trying to make their faith less harmful to practice. I find no joy and no point in attacking moral people for clinging to a faith that isn't what they portray it to be; their delusions are morally based.
I give you that as well with the caveat that I think it more immorally based than morally based. Just in case theist miss-understand you.
I find it much more troubling the ones who try to adhere to their God's actual mandates. They are the scary ones who base their version of morality on whatever is either A- actually written in the holy book. B- Whatever someone else has told them is in their holy book.
I share that view.
Greatest I am wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:35 am If you have an answer to the question I posed at the onset, please enlighten me as I am quite disappointed to see so many living in self-deception and without Gnosis, and following Gods who are demonstrably more Satan like than God like.
I've often considered that Satan likely wasn't that bad of a deity, being as how God was represented and Satan was the antithesis of him.
What come to mind is that my enemy's enemy is my friend.

That is partly why I chose to be a Gnostic Christian. As John Lennon said, the only good Christian is a Gnostic Christian.
Eschew all earthly pleasures, and spend eternity worshiping the deity who told you to eschew all pleasures. (Really, bowing and singing your praises for ETERNITY. Gee, that sounds as much fun as it did the one hour a week I was forced to as a child. :evil: )
I hears you.

I find it strange that Christians scream for freedom of religion and democracy while wanting to get to Yahweh's heaven which is a pure tyranny where freedom of thought is not allowed.

That indicates a conflicted mind and such minds cannot possibly think straight.

Thanks for the reply. Good minds are not easy to find, but are getting more numerous as the religious numbers continue to shrink.

Regards
DL