Child labor

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Child labor

Post by Jebus »

What are your thoughts on child labor? Should we boycott products if they have been proven to have been produced with the help of young children?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: Child labor

Post by PsYcHo »

It's kind of a double edged sword.

All of us typing on our computers/phones likely live in societies where we don't face the real, everyday threat of starving to death. If I went to Starbucks and a six year old was mopping the floors, I'd be upset. Children shouldn't have to work.

But......

In a place where a six year old picks cocoa beans to make chocolate, there is a very real chance that the child and it's family need that money to live.

It's one thing to boycott WonkaCorp because you feel child labor is wrong (and I'm not advocating for it, to be clear), but in doing so that child may be out of the only job keeping his other siblings alive.

Would the boycott do more good than actual harm, or would it just make the boy-cotter feel better about themselves, which is in fact just selfish.

I think its a multi-faceted problem, and boycotting is just an easy "feel-good" solution.

(edit- This position is based on paid child labor, not slave child labor. Both horrible, but boycotting slave labor would be more effective than boycotting paid labor.
Last edited by PsYcHo on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:55 am What are your thoughts on child labor? Should we boycott products if they have been proven to have been produced with the help of young children?
I think it's more complicated compared to a sweat shop where adults can consent and aren't imbeciles; in general, with adults competition between companies and other job options (however limited they may be) will drive people to choose the best job they can for their future prospects, and giving them more options can only be good.

With kids, sometimes it's for the parent's benefit and they may be forced into something they don't want and that isn't good for them.

HOWEVER, we don't know that's usually what happens. In general, parents love their children and a large part of what motivates them in life is to provide a better life for their children, so I don't think we can assume the overwhelming probability of parents choosing to exploit their children for personal gain. It may happen now and then, but on balance that's not certainly the case and the overall consequences may still be good.

I would call it less of a sure-thing benefit than a sweat shop (where I would say it's better in terms of human welfare to intentionally buy sweat shop goods rather than "made in USA/Europe" goods), but I wouldn't say there's enough reason to believe it's harmful to take steps to boycott because we don't really know the situation in these areas and it may be that this is necessary work to keep the family afloat and provide the best life for a child (the child might benefit more from education if that were possible, but it may not always be). The best life is very unlikely to result from being on his or her own, OR in state custody in these regions.

I think on a moral basis, I will always favor sweat shop produced goods from poor countries. But if it comes down to two widgets of the same price and quality, and I know one was "Made in the USA" or Canada or another developed country (where people might want the work but will not DIE if they don't get it), and another I know was made by child labor, I would probably not have a preference due to my uncertainty on child labor.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

Jacquelyn wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:56 pm It refers to the employment of children in any work that deprives children of their childhood This practice is considered exploitative by many international organisations. Legislation across the world prohibit child labour.
Hello Jacquelyn, welcome aboard!

It is likely because I am sleep deprived today, but I'm not sure of your position on this topic.

Could you clarify what your particular stance is on this topic? :) ( there is no right or wrong answer, and apologies if I didn't interpret your response correctly )

Taxation is theft.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

PsYcHo wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:07 amHello Jacquelyn, welcome aboard!

It is likely because I am sleep deprived today, but I'm not sure of your position on this topic.

Could you clarify what your particular stance is on this topic? :) ( there is no right or wrong answer, and apologies if I didn't interpret your response correctly )
I don't think Jacquelyn is a person
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

Damn bots are getting smarter.

I've said it before, but I for one welcome our new robot overlords!

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:16 am I don't think Jacquelyn is a person
Might be.

It's very sophisticated for a spam bot. They're copy and paste from search terms... and there's a join reason entered during registration.

I'll go ahead and ban proactively. There aren't any links yet, but I expect they'll come soon.