Sitting Down for the Pledge of Allegiance?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
DaRock
Diet: Vegan

Sitting Down for the Pledge of Allegiance?

Post by DaRock »

I am curious as to the opinion of members of this forum on the subject of standing down for the pledge of allegiance. As a high school student I already do this for two major reasons. #1 Why does a "free" country need to have its citizens unconsciously chant allegiance to it? What standard are we setting for countries in the Middle East or even North Korea. And #2 the whole, "one nation under god, indivisible," part the pledge points toward a presupposed god as a source of moral authority over all Americans. Should I not do this? Am I missing some sort of argument against it?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Sitting Down for the Pledge of Allegiance?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Unless you want to go into politics, I don't think there's much of a consequentialist argument against it.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

It is indeed ridiculous. Would you have anything to lose if you raise these points with your school authorities? Is there a school newspaper where you could write an opinion piece?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

I don't agree with the pledge of allegiance in schools. I think it would be better if it didn't exist. The question is how important this is, and whether it's worth the hassle of taking a stand, since you could cause trouble for yourself. Ultimately, it's up to you. Do whatever you think best. Good luck.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

I'm a semi-patriotic person, since I do think the US is a better place to live in than many other countries. (In terms of relative comfort and safety) But I absolutely believe you and others not only have the right, but should engage in peaceful protest.

It blows my mind how people are trying to make this into a protest against the flag itself, when it never was. Originally, Colin sat for his protest, but after talking to a soldier about how they knelt to show respect for fallen soldiers, he adapted his protest for the express purpose of being respectful while still protesting.

Don't concern yourself with people who won't speak to you directly, and for those who do disagree with you, stay calm and civil, and don't let their anger change your mood.

Best of luck.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Sapphire Lightning

Post by Sapphire Lightning »

I got in trouble in elementary school for not doing the pledge, as it contained the word god in it. The next day, seemingly like magic, we never did the pledge in class again, and it turned out that none of the other classes did either. Guess my mother was incensed and prolly screamed at the principal over me getting in trouble.

I did read something somewhere of a person from Europe moving to the US as a child. Their first day of school they saw all the students stand up at the same time and start chanting like robots. This person thought it was the strangest (and scariest) thing they had ever seen. I could see how it would look that way, almost like they had accidentally joined some sort of cult and were viewing the morning ritual worship of some sort of inanimate object.

The funny thing about it is that the version that kids are told to say isn't even the original version of the pledge, and that the pledge was never meant to be used in such a way. *shrugs* I guess this goes to show just how brainwashed most people truly are.
Carnist: Kills animals and then takes from their bodies
Vegetarian: Takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable
Vegan: Avoids unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Sapphire Lightning wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:25 pm The funny thing about it is that the version that kids are told to say isn't even the original version of the pledge, and that the pledge was never meant to be used in such a way. *shrugs* I guess this goes to show just how brainwashed most people truly are.
Excellent point. I follow a Libertarian page that mocks many "progressive" issues, but when they mocked people who blindly worship the flag soooo many people who laughed at their jokes about "SJW's" suddenly started crying about them making fun of flag worshipers. (They call these people Flaggots. Incendiary, I know, but their main focus is on actual freedom, not perceived freedom.)

One post that was deleted by facebook was a historical picture of American children performing the "nazi" salute to the flag.

It boggles my mind how the same people who are so proud of the country aren't enraged when there is a real problem of police brutality.

I wonder if this is because this is seen as a racial issue, when in reality it is all races that are being subjected to unfair and unconstitutional use of police force. (We put people in cages for trading plants, and not giving their tithe (tax) to the people with the most guns. Why aren't people enraged about that?!)
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.