Safety

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Safety

Post by Jebus »

PsYcHo wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:30 pm I'm a semi-patriotic person, since I do think the US is a better place to live in than many other countries. (In terms of relative comfort and safety
Safety??? I can't think of any developed nation that has more unsafe areas than the U.S.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: Safety

Post by PsYcHo »

Jebus wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:07 pm
Safety??? I can't think of any developed nation that has more unsafe areas than the U.S.
1. I was referring to the entire world. Someone in say, Iraq, may prefer to live in a small town in Nebraska.

2. Most crimes in the US are centered in a few major cities. Take out the top five or so, and we would have a much lower overall crime statistic. Not to mention that statistics are often misleading. (Yes, I see the irony in this statement) For instance, "Deaths by Handguns" statistics often include suicides. I've never been afraid of someone "suciciding" at me.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Sitting Down for the Pledge of Allegiance?

Post by Jebus »

PsYcHo wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:16 pmSomeone in say, Iraq, may prefer to live in a small town in Nebraska.
Lol. You are comparing the safest place your country has to offer with a war zone.
PsYcHo wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:16 pmMost crimes in the US are centered in a few major cities.
This is b.s. High per capita violent crime rates in small and medium sized cities like Stockton and Tukwila are prevalent all over the nation and often have higher rates than the "few major cities" you are probably thinking of.
PsYcHo wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:16 pmDeaths by Handguns" statistics often include suicides. I've never been afraid of someone "suciciding" at me.
Keep it simple and look at the rates of specific crimes, such as rape and murder.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Safety

Post by PsYcHo »

Jebus wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:06 am Lol. You are comparing the safest place your country has to offer with a war zone.
Pretty sure much of the county is closer to Nebraska (Crime wise) than Chicago or New York or Los Angeles or Atlanta or Detroit. I'm one of those people who have actually been to all lower 48 states (Hawaii and Alaska are on my check off list) so I'm not just going by what I see on T.V. or read on the internet. (And I have visited Stockton many, many times. It is a hell hole that should be purged from the earth with fire, were it not for a few razor wire lined businesses that I occasionally contract with. I assume they operate there due to cheap land values)

It is quite likely that I am incorrect about overall crime statistics if you removed major cities from the equation, (I'm not an academic, I'm an amateur at best in debating) but I would like to research this further. I have a few day off, and this has piqued my interest.

I'm curious, what country across the pond do you hail from?

I'd like to look into this more to see if I am correct in my hypothesis (Remove the top 5 cities crime rates and 'Murica seems much more peaceful).

Taxation is theft.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

PsYcHo wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:49 amPretty sure much of the county is closer to Nebraska (Crime wise) than Chicago or New York or Los Angeles or Atlanta or Detroit.
There is high crime (high compared with countries with similar income level to the U.S.) everywhere in the U.S. where the following factors are present:
A high percentage of young men
Low income
Unemployment
A high percentage of blacks (yes, there is correlation even when income and unemployment is controlled for)
PsYcHo wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:49 amI'm curious, what country across the pond do you hail from?

Born in Sweden, currently living in Mauritius, and several different North American locations in between (yes, I also had to pledge allegiance to the U.S. flag).
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

Jebus wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:30 am There is high crime (high compared with countries with similar income level to the U.S.) everywhere in the U.S. where the following factors are present:
Low income
Unemployment
A high percentage of blacks (yes, there is correlation even when income and unemployment is controlled for)

Well I was going to research and debate with you, but I don't tolerate racism.

Taxation is theft.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

PsYcHo wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:00 amWell I was going to research and debate with you, but I don't tolerate racism.
You think that was racist because it wasn't true or because you don't think the truth (in this case) should be mentioned? You didn't call out sexist (I mentioned men) or ageist (I mentioned young) so I would like to know why you hint to racism.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:30 am A high percentage of blacks (yes, there is correlation even when income and unemployment is controlled for)
You have to control for urban poverty, which is a bigger factor.

Poor whites tend to be rural, living in small towns, while poor blacks tend to be urban which is an environment more prone to creating gangs and making criminal activity seem more fruitful (due to density of victims/clients of illicit goods, and greater anonymity). The environment makes a big difference, not just in crime rate but reporting and enforcement (the latter being what we're really looking at here).
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

Jebus wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:46 am You think that was racist because it wasn't true or because you don't think the truth (in this case) should be mentioned? You didn't call out sexist (I mentioned men) or ageist (I mentioned young) so I would like to know why you hint to racism.
Apologies if you thought that was serious, I was just making a lame joke. :roll:

Taxation is theft.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

Jebus wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:30 am
There is high crime (high compared with countries with similar income level to the U.S.) everywhere in the U.S. where the following factors are present:
Low income
Unemployment
All those factors are true. But also, all those factors only apply to large cities within the U.S.A.

As a whole based on land size versus population, our crime rate is not as worrisome as European countries, especially if you deduct the major cities from the equation.

Plus, if you live in an urban hell-hole (Like Chicago or Los Angeles), it is feasible to move to a less populated area with significantly lower crime.

I'm a pacifist by nature, but in Europe; If some psycho breaks in and decides to kill you and rape your wife, you have an obligation to flee first, then prove that you only used your cricket bat? as a last resort and didn't keep it at the ready as a weapon. (Otherwise you will be jailed)

Correct me if I am wrong (and I often am) but doesn't Sweden have an exceptionally low crime rate, and require each household to have a gun? seriously, I often am wrong but I think I"m correct here

Taxation is theft.