The Haircut

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

The Haircut

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BO83Ig-E8E

This video is about two cheeky Australian lads who go to north Korea to get a haircut. In this video, they expose much of the capitalist imperialist lies in the press about north Korea.

I feel obligated to share this video, despite not agreeing wholeheartedly with everything that is said in it. The people who made this video do not in any way support north Korea and it is more about exposing media lies. What I think they fail to see is that if the media has lied about little things, it is almost certain that they have lied about north Korea in its entirety claiming it to be a totalitarian dictatorship when it is in reality a libertarian democracy. As well as that, I don't agree with their implications that Obama should have apologized for the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, as it was a necessary act to get Japan to surrender in world war 2 and to minimize the amount of casualties caused.

However, what is very impressive is that they managed to get Stimmekoreas to comment on their video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stT-yhxFinA&t=1s

Here is another video they made about sanctions on north Korea. Again, very good.
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: The Haircut

Post by Jamie in Chile »

If it's all lies why won't they let foreign journalists wander around the country freely outside the capital to investigate for themselves? Surely, if it's all lies,it would be in their benefit to do so.

They could happily invite liberal media from Western powers only that is currently completely at odds with its government! Or they could invite media from some neutral place, South America or Africa.
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

That first video does not defend North Korea at all. It instead focuses on Western atrocities.

An accusation of hyprocrisy (which is basically what the video amounts to), even if correct, does not amount to a defence of anything, it is a deflection and usually done when something can't reasonably be defended.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

If it's all lies why won't they let foreign journalists wander around the country freely outside the capital to investigate for themselves? Surely, if it's all lies,it would be in their benefit to do so.
The same reason I don't let people from the internet inside my house to prove I am a real person. They have a rational suspicion of the world press, and even in neutral countries it would be likely to distort the truth. Let's say they did let the press inside their prisons to show that the conditions are not inhumane, the press would be likely to imply or state outright that the DPRK has just made the prisons look nice for them, and that in reality, they are terrible prisons.
That first video does not defend North Korea at all. It instead focuses on Western atrocities.

An accusation of hyprocrisy (which is basically what the video amounts to), even if correct, does not amount to a defence of anything, it is a deflection and usually done when something can't reasonably be defended.
It isn't meant to be a defense of the DPRK, but an expose on how the media can distort the truth. The people who made it are not supporters of the DPRK.
Ignis Centaurus

Post by Ignis Centaurus »

I'm not sure what capitalism or imperialism has to do with the media lying about and indoctrinating minds about North Korea (perhaps maybe the fact that they're one of maybe 6 or so countries on earth that doesn't have a Rothschild bank in their country? Or that their dictator is still very much so a horrendous dictator even behind the deceit and lies of the outside world?), but that is an interesting video.