Is the American Jew physically recognizable?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Is the American Jew physically recognizable?

Post by Jebus »

I am aware that many American Jews finds it offensive when people talk about a Jewish look. However, during my years living in North America I was rarely wrong when I assumed someone was a Jew (before even speaking with them). Hence, in my mind there is no doubt that there is a Jewish look. However, I am thoroughly confused why this is the case. Like other ethnic American groups the Jews have mixed with other ethnic groups multiple times over the past millenia, yet I find it easier to recognize a Jewish American than an Italian, German, or Irish American.

I consider Judaism a religion, and a religion only, and find it ridiculous when atheists identify themselves as jews. However, from what I have heard about half of the million or so "Jews" living in the U.S. are atheist. To what can we attribute this? Higher education, affluence, or perhaps a religious foundation based on stories even older and harder to believe than those depicted in the new testament?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Is the American Jew physically recognizable?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Are you recognizing religious Jews, or secular 'cultural' Jews?

It's always an odds game, there are a few characteristics that are associated in certain regions; I think it mainly comes from where they immigrated up against a background of mostly English and Irish in many areas. There are red-headed and blonde Jews too though.

That said you can also recognize Christians sometimes based on subtle hints of attire and demeanor.
The largest factor may be confirmation bias, though. We remember our hits and forget our misses.