Exclamations for Atheists "oh my god" etc.?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Exclamations for Atheists "oh my god" etc.?

Post by Red »

Hey guys, as an atheist, should I use exclamations like "Oh my God!" or "Jesus Christ!"? I feel as though it doesn't make any sense.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: The Tavern

Post by Jebus »

Red wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:03 pm Hey guys, as an atheist, should I use exclamations like "Oh my God!" or "Jesus Christ!"? I feel as though it doesn't make any sense.
Why not say my name? I think the above exclamations sound stupid regardless of who says them. If a Christian uses them they are violating the third commandment, and if a non Christian says them they are demonstrating that they don't put any thought into their language use.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Jebus wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:06 pm
Red wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:03 pm Hey guys, as an atheist, should I use exclamations like "Oh my God!" or "Jesus Christ!"? I feel as though it doesn't make any sense.
Why not say my name? I think the above exclamations sound stupid regardless of who says them. If a Christian uses them they are violating the third commandment, and if a non Christian says them they are demonstrating that they don't put any thought into their language use.
Jebus doesn't sound right. Again, neither do the other exclamations. Maybe Gee Willikers would do.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I feel like "jebus" or "gosh" probably sounds better, since it's a silly replacement.

But goodbye in Spanish, French, Italian, and some other romance languages literally means "with god", an in "go with god".
How far do we take it?
There's a lot of religious stuff embedded into culture and language, and "ableist" and speciesist stuff, etc.

I think an over-emphasis on changing language can get carried away, as we've seen with social justice and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3pmMZDko60. There are a lot of things we could change, but it probably doesn't have a big effect and it can get silly. If you don't like it, try not to say it I guess, but it probably doesn't matter much unless you say it all of the time, in which case I would avoid it just to come across better. Excessive use is like valley girl speak.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:17 pmgoodbye in Spanish, French, Italian, and some other romance languages literally means "with god", an in "go with god".
How far do we take it?
I've actually never heard anyone say "adieu" in French. I think it's an old word that is disappearing possibly due to the secularization of France and the other European French speaking areas. "Adios" is still commonly used and this is probably because the Spanish speaking nations remain religious. In Austria the common greeting is "gruss Gott" (greet God). I don't know if it's slowly being replaced by "guten tag" as Austria is secularizing. Perhaps someone from Austria can answer that.

On another note, most forum users will never see this discussion. Why didn't you (Red) start a new thread with this question?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Interesting observations.
Jebus wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:20 am On another note, most forum users will never see this discussion. Why didn't you (Red) start a new thread with this question?
Easily remedied!
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:17 pm I feel like "jebus" or "gosh" probably sounds better, since it's a silly replacement.
Yeah, but I feel as though that kills the impact it could have. Like arbitrarily putting swear words in sentences.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:17 pmBut goodbye in Spanish, French, Italian, and some other romance languages literally means "with god", an in "go with god".
How far do we take it?
There's a lot of religious stuff embedded into culture and language, and "ableist" and speciesist stuff, etc.
It's not like they have a choice; It's probably awkward doing that in a secular environment.
Off to stab this video out of my skull (once again).

Oh yeah, on a similar note, does anyone say "Bless you" after someone sneezes? I kinda never did that, as I never saw the point, and never understood as to why it's polite to do that. I know it originated in Medieval Europe with spiritual origins, but most people aren't that religious anymore. My psychology teacher claims that we've been conditioned to say it, and that she never wants anyone to say "Bless you" after someone sneezes again, or else she'll deduct a point. So I fake sneeze in class from time to time just to see who will fall into the trap.
Last edited by Red on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Jebus wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:20 am On another note, most forum users will never see this discussion. Why didn't you (Red) start a new thread with this question?
Ach, I didn't really feel as though it deserved it's own topic.
-Leonardo da Vinci
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

Jebus wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:20 am
brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:17 pmgoodbye in Spanish, French, Italian, and some other romance languages literally means "with god", an in "go with god".
How far do we take it?
I've actually never heard anyone say "adieu" in French. I think it's an old word that is disappearing possibly due to the secularization of France and the other European French speaking areas. "Adios" is still commonly used and this is probably because the Spanish speaking nations remain religious. In Austria the common greeting is "gruss Gott" (greet God). I don't know if it's slowly being replaced by "guten tag" as Austria is secularizing. Perhaps someone from Austria can answer that.

On another note, most forum users will never see this discussion. Why didn't you (Red) start a new thread with this question?
You're right - It's disappearing. It now feels too definitive and old-fashioned. I'd translate it as "I commend you to god" ( A+ diós, A+dieu, A+ddio = to+god ) or even "god willing", "Inshallah" and so on. To be honest, I don't know if it (only) has to do with the secularization of Europe. If you say "Adieu" you're basically telling your interlocutor that whether you'll meet again or not doesn't really depend on you. Not surprisingly, it is still used when you get really mad at someone and don't want to see them anymore (if you break up with your girlfriend, for example). "So long". "Au revoir," "hasta la vista" and "arrivederci" (basically, "see you later") are much friendlier since they all imply that you are going to meet again soon.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: Exclamations for Atheists "oh my god" etc.?

Post by PsYcHo »

I have used "JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!" as a swear many, many times, but now prefer "WHAT THE FUCK!", or my personal favorite "FUCKING TWAT WAFFLE!"

Also, years ago "Christ on a cracker" was popular, but to show solidarity with other religions, I proclaimed instead "Buddha on a Triscuit". Feel free to use that.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.