God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Greatest I am
Diet: Vegan

Post by Greatest I am »

The use of the term Father in speaking of God is quite ancient and was around way before Jesus started using the term, even though he used son of man a lot more than son of God.

A son calling someone father in the proud way Jesus did is respecting a worthy father, but if we look at Yahweh, I do not see how anyone could be proud of such a father.

Yahweh is definitely portrayed as being quite vile thanks to his use of genocide, infanticide and punishing the innocent instead of the guilty quite often. Yahweh is also shown to covet Joseph’s wife, cuckold Joseph, produce a son and then take off for parts unknown leaving his responsibility for his son to others thus showing himself to be a deadbeat dad.

Scripture say that we are all sons of God. To be relevant to his children, a father has to be around to interact with them. It seems that God does not want to be relevant to us as he remains absent and places us, his children, at the mercy of people who have written scripture more to enrich themselves than to give us the messages from God that they claim to know. Even though scriptures say that God id unknowable and unfathomable and his desires cannot be known.

My analysis of the bible and God does not show God to be a good father.

Do you, as a child of God, see God as a good father or as more of a deadbeat dad?

Regards
DL
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth?

Post by Jebus »

Yahwei, as described in the bible, is a despicable entity, but I have no idea where this father-son nonsense came from. The spooky guy makes the whole thing even more confusing.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Jebus wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:57 pm Yahwei, as described in the bible, is a despicable entity, but I have no idea where this father-son nonsense came from.
Just to show how he had his first son Jesus needlessly murdered and also murdered A & E by neglect and locking away what would have saved their lives, the tree of life.

Regards
DL
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Greatest I am wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:27 pmhe had his first son Jesus needlessly murdered and also murdered A & E by neglect and locking away what would have saved their lives, the tree of life.
But Yahwei is not Jesus' father. A creator is not the same thing as a father.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Jebus wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:30 am
Greatest I am wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:27 pmhe had his first son Jesus needlessly murdered and also murdered A & E by neglect and locking away what would have saved their lives, the tree of life.
But Yahwei is not Jesus' father. A creator is not the same thing as a father.
True. Then scriptures should not call us children of God. If they did not, this thread would not exist.

It would have asked if God was good to those he creates. The answer is still no. God would then be a deadbeat creator.

Regards
DL
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Greatest I am wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:09 amTrue. Then scriptures should not call us children of God. If they did not, this thread would not exist.

It would have asked if God was good to those he creates. The answer is still no. God would then be a deadbeat creator.
Yes, except "deadbeat" to me means apathetic. Yahwei comes across more as a jealous murderous rageaholic.

Anyway, the whole deal about Jesus dying for our sins is a sham. If you die, you stay dead. it's more like Jesus agreed to be in a coma for a few days for all our sins. I actually take offense that Jesus assumed that I would sin before I was even born.He should at least have given me the benefit of the doubt.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Jebus wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:38 am
Greatest I am wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:09 amTrue. Then scriptures should not call us children of God. If they did not, this thread would not exist.

Yes, except "deadbeat" to me means apathetic. Yahwei comes across more as a jealous murderous rageaholic.

Anyway, the whole deal about Jesus dying for our sins is a sham. If you die, you stay dead. it's more like Jesus agreed to be in a coma for a few days for all our sins. I actually take offense that Jesus assumed that I would sin before I was even born.He should at least have given me the benefit of the doubt.
Indeed. Christianity took the concept too far.

The idea that we are all sinners is quite true though if you consider that all person against person evil is in a real sense forced upon us by evolution.

Consider that we must both cooperate and compete. Cooperation we would see as good because it does not create a victim or loser to the cooperation. When we compete, as we have to do, a victim or loser to that competition is created and that person would feel that evil has come his or her way.

In that real sense, we are all sinners and cannot help but sin.

That may be why a Christian hymn call Adam's sin a happy fault and necessary.

Regards
DL