Tim Farron

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Tim Farron

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

Tim Farron, the leader of the Liberal Democrats, the liberal party in Britain, has stepped down due to criticism on his views on homosexuality.

In one interview, he was asked whether he thought homosexuality was a sin or not, and he wouldn't answer. Many think that he didn't answer because he believed it was a sin.

Now, I'm a member of the LGBT community and I'm not a big fan of Tim Farron, however, I think it's not right that he (as well as people like him) should face so much criticism for their views. This labelling of people like him as "homophobic" simply because of their religious views (which they are not forcing on anybody) leads to a massive trivialization of genuine hate crimes against the LGBT community.

There is a MASSIVE difference between the two groups below:

1. Jews, Christians, Muslims, etc. like Tim Farron who personally oppose homosexuality but don't force their views on anybody and would absolutely step in if they saw somebody attacked for being gay and may even have gay friends themselves
2. The homophobes who are a genuine threat to society as they verbally and physically abuse LGBT people

Tim Farron did nothing wrong and he was actually a very progressive leader, as he wanted to legalize weed.

But vote Labour nevertheless.
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: Tim Farron

Post by Jamie in Chile »

To be fair he has gone on record as saying homosexuality is NOT a sin and he has never been on record as saying it is, as far as I know.

I think it's a shame, but not a surprise, that he felt he couldn't reconcile religious views with liberal ones. His mistake is to give up the party leadership instead of makng a sensible decision to give up or moderate some of this religious views. THe problem is with religion.

However, there may be more to this. The poor performance in the election could also be a factor.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Re: Tim Farron

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

Jamie in Chile wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:08 pm To be fair he has gone on record as saying homosexuality is NOT a sin and he has never been on record as saying it is, as far as I know.

I think it's a shame, but not a surprise, that he felt he couldn't reconcile religious views with liberal ones. His mistake is to give up the party leadership instead of makng a sensible decision to give up or moderate some of this religious views. THe problem is with religion.

However, there may be more to this. The poor performance in the election could also be a factor.
The Lib Dems gained a few seats