Bill Maher saying "nigger"

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Re: Bill Maher saying "nigger"

Post by EquALLity »

^It's a racial slur with no acceptable context. Historically, it's been used to degrade enslaved and oppressed black people. Using it now flippantly as if that history is erased, when racism is still very common and terrible, is wrong.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

EquALLity wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:31 pm^It's a racial slur with no acceptable context.
There is acceptable context. Humour being one.

I question how many people actually feel offended when they hear the word vs. how many people just enjoy saying that they were offended.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Jebus wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:23 am
EquALLity wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:31 pm^It's a racial slur with no acceptable context.
There is acceptable context. Humour being one.

I question how many people actually feel offended when they hear the word vs. how many people just enjoy saying that they were offended.
Please explain what the humor in it is. Why is it funny? What about it makes you laugh?

I question how many people actually don't see why it's offensive vs. how many people just are opposed to anything they see as "political correctness".
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

EquALLity wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:40 am
Please explain what the humor in it is. Why is it funny? What about it makes you laugh?[/quote]

Why do you make assumptions like that? I never wrote that I thought it was funny. My point is that Bill Maher didn't intend to harm anyone by using this word. He simply tried to be funny and many thought he was. This is different from when Michael Richards used it during his comedy, because Michael Richards did intend harm.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Jebus wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:24 pm
EquALLity wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:40 am
Please explain what the humor in it is. Why is it funny? What about it makes you laugh?
Why do you make assumptions like that? I never wrote that I thought it was funny. My point is that Bill Maher didn't intend to harm anyone by using this word. He simply tried to be funny and many thought he was. This is different from when Michael Richards used it during his comedy, because Michael Richards did intend harm.
It doesn't matter if you think it's funny, that's not my point. Just explain what about it is supposed to be funny. What is the punchline or joke? Because I don't see in what context using the n-word in a joke for humor wouldn't have a racist theme.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Btw, about Michael Richards, I don't think he's racist or was racist. I just think he was trying to shock people and went too far. That happens with comedians.

It's kind of sad, because he was so great on Seinfeld, and he could've had a great career in comedy, but that one incident basically ended his career overnight. And that's really sad, IMO. I don't think what he said was ok at all, but I also think people deserve second chances.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

EquALLity wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:48 pmJust explain what about it is supposed to be funny. What is the punchline or joke?
What's the point of this exercise? The comment was uttered by a comedian on a comedy show and some people in the crowd laughed. If you think he was motivated by something other than to make people laugh, let's hear it.
EquALLity wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:48 pmBecause I don't see in what context using the n-word in a joke for humor wouldn't have a racist theme.
Have you never seen/heard people laughing when comedians say nigger? Do you believe all these people are racists? If I make a joke that includes the word the butt of the joke would be the rednecks who use the word.
EquALLity wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:48 pmBtw, about Michael Richards, I don't think he's racist or was racist. I just think he was trying to shock people and went too far.
No, it wasn't premeditated. He simply lost his temper.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Jebus wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:14 pm
EquALLity wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:48 pmJust explain what about it is supposed to be funny. What is the punchline or joke?
What's the point of this exercise? The comment was uttered by a comedian on a comedy show and some people in the crowd laughed. If you think he was motivated by something other than to make people laugh, let's hear it.
EquALLity wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:48 pmBecause I don't see in what context using the n-word in a joke for humor wouldn't have a racist theme.
Have you never seen/heard people laughing when comedians say nigger? Do you believe all these people are racists? If I make a joke that includes the word the butt of the joke would be the rednecks who use the word.
EquALLity wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:48 pmBtw, about Michael Richards, I don't think he's racist or was racist. I just think he was trying to shock people and went too far.
No, it wasn't premeditated. He simply lost his temper.
The point is that the only way you'd use the n-word in a joke is with a racist theme.
I don't think he's racist, I'm saying he used "nigga" instead of the n-word, so it doesn't matter.

That's the one other way you could use that word in a joke to not be racist, but that's clearly not what Bill Maher was doing. It's just not racist because he used "nigga", which is a different word with a different meaning.

Yes. He said things to "pack a punch" with shock value. I don't think he's racist.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

EquALLity wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:26 pmThe point is that the only way you'd use the n-word in a joke is with a racist theme
Yes, but that doesn't mean it is bigoted or demeaning to the minority group in question. It could be demeaning to the racists one is imitating. Regardless, nothing should be off limits when it comes to jokes. Many individuals in a (formerly oppressed) minority group love looking for examples of bigotry so they can further victimise themselves. The societal attitude should be "relax, it's just a joke" rather than "oh poor you, I'm so sorry you had to hear that from that evil person".
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

I once had a psychology professor who offered $10 to anyone who could tell a joke that wasn't offensive to anyone. Many took him up on the challenge and he always managed to point out why and how the joke could be considered offensive.