Bill Maher saying "nigger"

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Re: Bill Maher saying "nigger"

Post by EquALLity »

Jebus wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:19 am
EquALLity wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:26 pmThe point is that the only way you'd use the n-word in a joke is with a racist theme
Yes, but that doesn't mean it is bigoted or demeaning to the minority group in question. It could be demeaning to the racists one is imitating. Regardless, nothing should be off limits when it comes to jokes. Many individuals in a (formerly oppressed) minority group love looking for examples of bigotry so they can further victimise themselves. The societal attitude should be "relax, it's just a joke" rather than "oh poor you, I'm so sorry you had to hear that from that evil person".
Yeah, but like I said, that doesn't make sense for the context he used the word (if he used the n-word, which he didn't... it wouldn't make sense in any way if he used the actual n-word, because he used it in a way that only 'nigga' is used).
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx