Ask me history questions

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Re: Ask me history questions

Post by EquALLity »

PsYcHo wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:22 am It's been a while since I had any book learnin', and I waste a lot of my minimal free time on....stuff, but I'm curious as to whether there have been any significant developments about civilizations that predate the Sumerians. I've gleaned a lot of "possible" information, but I am curious as to what is considered factual, and how far back those civilizations go. (Ancient technologies that predate written history, especially those that aren't supposed to have existed at the time, are particularly fascinating to me.)
Oops lol. Sorry I didn't really learn about before the river valley civilizations in any in depth way. :/
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

EquALLity wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:38 am
PsYcHo wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:22 am It's been a while since I had any book learnin', and I waste a lot of my minimal free time on....stuff, but I'm curious as to whether there have been any significant developments about civilizations that predate the Sumerians. I've gleaned a lot of "possible" information, but I am curious as to what is considered factual, and how far back those civilizations go. (Ancient technologies that predate written history, especially those that aren't supposed to have existed at the time, are particularly fascinating to me.)
Oops lol. Sorry I didn't really learn about before the river valley civilizations in any in depth way. :/
Wait, as I read this book (Guns, Germs, and Steel), I've learned one answer to this question.

The Cro-Magnon, considered the first modern humans, had life-sized paintings of horses and bulls, along with statues, musical instruments, and pottery.

Update-,
Also, the Aborigines got to Australia by boat. O_O What?
I thought that they got there the way people got to the Americas, by crossing over when the continents were connected. This can't be true though, because during the time when humans first began to occupy Australia and New Guinea (30,000-40,000 years ago), Australia was not connected to Asia. To get their, you had to cross many straits, and you couldn't see Australia from the closest Asian locations (Timor etc.). So, people must have had shipbuilding technology 30,000-40,000 years ago. The Neolithic Revolution, when people began to develop agriculture, didn't happen until way after that. Wtf?!?!
People had shipbuilding technology before agriculture. How did they have time to build ships, given they were always searching for food??? And why did they build ships? Were they looking for food, or just curious about the sea? Wow.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

EquALLity wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:12 pm. So, people must have had shipbuilding technology 30,000-40,000 years ago. The Neolithic Revolution, when people began to develop agriculture, didn't happen until way after that. Wtf?!?!
People had shipbuilding technology before agriculture. How did they have time to build ships, given they were always searching for food??? And why did they build ships? Were they looking for food, or just curious about the sea? Wow.
There are some really interesting studies about not just shipbuilding, but metal working predating by thousands of years what should be possible. It's a fascinating subject backed by some hard science, but the problem is the "conspiracy/alien" people who combine actual science with speculation.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/ancient-technology/150000-year-old-pipes-baffle-scientists-china-out-place-time-001783 This is one topic I found particularly interesting.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

PsYcHo wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:35 pm
EquALLity wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:12 pm. So, people must have had shipbuilding technology 30,000-40,000 years ago. The Neolithic Revolution, when people began to develop agriculture, didn't happen until way after that. Wtf?!?!
There are some really interesting studies about not just shipbuilding, but metal working predating by thousands of years what should be possible. It's a fascinating subject backed by some hard science, but the problem is the "conspiracy/alien" people who combine actual science with speculation.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/ancient-technology/150000-year-old-pipes-baffle-scientists-china-out-place-time-001783 This is one topic I found particularly interesting.
Ooooohhh...
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Another interesting subject is regarding ancient Egypt. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphinx_water_erosion_hypothesis

There are lots of other examples of possible ancient technology/pre-known civilizations, but sadly the information is flooded with people trying to confirm their own theories and ignoring substantial evidence to the contrary.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.