Ask me history questions

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Ask me history questions

Post by EquALLity »

Hey,
So I recently took the AP world history test and just took the world history subject test. So, if you have any history questions because you're also in finals (I'm sorry), then you can ask me questions and I can explain things in an understandable way. Or, if you just want to talk about history, you can do it here.

I love talking about history b/c I'm a history nerd, soooo :)

Ok bye!
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Ask me history questions

Post by brimstoneSalad »

In what ways are the struggles to end human slavery similar to and different from the struggles to end animal agriculture?
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

Do you agree with Jared Diamond when he says that
Europe’s colonization of Africa had nothing to do with differences between European and African peoples themselves [...]rather, it was due to accidents of geography and biogeography—in particular, to the continents’ different areas, axes, and suites of wild plant and animal species.
?
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

The struggle to end human slavery (assuming of Africans by Europeans in the New World) and animal agriculture both share in common that part of the struggle (why they're hard to end) deal with a feeling of superiority over the oppressed group and an interest in the products of the harmful systems. For ex, Europeans who enslaved Africans made a lot of money from the products they produced in mines and on plantations, so they didn't want to lose their slave laborers because then they wouldn't have as much money. With animal agriculture, people don't want to stop eating meat because they like meat, the product of animal agriculture. And obviously, slaves were seen as inferior, as animals are seen as nothing but food. As for the struggle to end both, they both involve increased care for the groups being abused.

There are a lot of differences, though. The struggle to end human slavery was mostly a political movement in which laws were passed to protect slaves , while the struggle to end animal agriculture is more economically motivated (by not buying meat). Also, the movement to end human slavery was supported by Evangelical Christianity (although Christianity was also used to justify slavery), whereas ending animal agriculture is a pretty secular movement.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

DarlBundren wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:55 am Do you agree with Jared Diamond when he says that
Europe’s colonization of Africa had nothing to do with differences between European and African peoples themselves [...]rather, it was due to accidents of geography and biogeography—in particular, to the continents’ different areas, axes, and suites of wild plant and animal species.
?
Hmm, here's what I know -

The Atlantic Slave Trade happened because Europeans discovered the New World and wanted to exploit it economically (the monarchs wanted to become rich). So, they originally enslaved the Natives, because they were easily at their disposal. They treated the Natives so poorly, however, that they were dying out faster than reproducing. So the Europeans needed a new group to enslave. They enslaved Africans through process of elimination - they no longer had a supply of slavic slaves (the world slave comes from "slav", btw) due to the Ottomans conquering Constantinople (Byzantine empire) and ending that trade circuit with Russia (supplier of slavic slaves) and the west (Russia was trading w/ Byzantine). They couldn't obtain slaves from the Eastern hemisphere due to mostly developed societies there. Only Africa was left.

However, Europeans wouldn't have found the Americas first to begin with if the Ming dynasty hadn't halted Zheng He's explorations. After the Mongols were kicked out of China by the Ming Dynasty, the Chinese wanted to prevent any group from conquering China again (because the Mongols treated them like second class citizens). They also wanted to reestablish their dominance as the power of Asia and reestablish their tributary relationship with the surrounding countries. So, they had Zheng He embark on expeditions. These expeditions reached extremely far, as far out as Africa, until they suddenly stopped because China wanted to focus inward. They wanted to focus inward to rebuild after the Mongols, and also because they were ethnocentric, and they were ethnocentric because they were very historically isolated due to geography. They developed a unique Chinese culture and saw themselves as the "Middle Kingdom", or the center of the world. If these expeditions hadn't stopped, China may have discovered the New World long before Europe, and Europe wouldn't have ended up enslaving the Africans in colonies in the New World. So, they wouldn't have risen to such power, and the Berlin Conference may never have happened (where Europe carved up Africa)/may not have been enforceable with their power compared to Africa given the different situation.

I think your question may have been more about how Europe vs. Africa's development militarily and politically were impacted by geography, not sure if I answered it completely, but I hope you found that interesting. :D

Maybe this will more directly answer that question -

Europe developed politically and militarily quicker than the rest of the world during the Renaissance, which happened as a result of the Crusades, when Europeans came into contact with Islamic culture in the Middle East and retrieved ancient Greco-Roman culture that was preserved in this area during the European Dark Ages. Africa didn't experience the Renaissance because of their location.
Fun fact - During this time, Russia was controlled by the Mongols, isolating them from the rest of the world. So, Russia never experienced the Renaissance either, creating a unique Russian culture distinct from western Europe and severing their connection with western Europe long after the Mongols left. Russia was pretty backward for awhile compared to Europe, still having serfdom when western Europe (or, what was western Europe during this time period, the country makeup has obviously changed a lot) was colonizing in the New World.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

How about the cotton gin? How does that factor in? Any analogies to animal agriculture?
DarlBundren

Post by DarlBundren »

Thanks, Equality. Yes, my question had to do with geography, but I liked your answer anyway. :)
brimstoneSalad wrote:In what ways are the struggles to end human slavery similar to and different from the struggles to end animal agriculture?
Some days ago, Plant-based news posted an interview with a Holocaust survivor ( Alex Hershaft - I didn't know him) comparing the treatment of Jews under the Nazi regime to animal agriculture.
https://youtu.be/gNV26q89zYg
DarlBundren

Post by DarlBundren »

By the way, in the comments there's at least one guy denying the Holocaust.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

It's been a while since I had any book learnin', and I waste a lot of my minimal free time on....stuff, but I'm curious as to whether there have been any significant developments about civilizations that predate the Sumerians. I've gleaned a lot of "possible" information, but I am curious as to what is considered factual, and how far back those civilizations go. (Ancient technologies that predate written history, especially those that aren't supposed to have existed at the time, are particularly fascinating to me.)
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

DarlBundren wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:55 am Do you agree with Jared Diamond when he says that
?
Btw, I'm reading Jared Diamond's book Guns, Germs, and Steel now. Have you read it?