Why are "progressives" so eager to defend Islam?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Why are "progressives" so eager to defend Islam?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PsYcHo wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:10 am I'm curious about the evidence based on an Atheistic nation. I believe most of the governments who report as Atheistic are very heavily ran by the Government.
We're mostly talking certain European countries with low corruption indices, these are secular governments, not specifically "atheistic" ones (which is uncommon for a government to declare any kind of atheistic allegiance).
The point is the correlation between the number of citizens reporting as atheists, or the low level of religiosity, and positive social effects.
This is also correlated with education, but that's pretty much inevitable; education creates atheists, or at least less fundamentalist theists and deists. Theistic education is correlated with social ills like extremism.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

Cringiest music video* I've seen in a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOX9O_kVPeo

Why are "progressives" so keen on glorifying the hijab as something "liberating" and "empowering" in countries like the U.S.A. and Canada, where they already have equal rights to men, and the legal right to wear (or not wear) whatever they want?

The hijab is a symbol of sexism and oppression in countries where women are legally required to wear them, and any regions where they have strong cultural & family pressures to do do (regardless of law).

*If you think you know what this video will be about, and think it will be cringy, then don't bother to watch it. It most definitely is what it looks like.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Lightningman_42 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:16 pm Cringiest music video* I've seen in a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOX9O_kVPeo

Why are "progressives" so keen on glorifying the hijab as something "liberating" and "empowering" in countries like the U.S.A. and Canada, where they already have equal rights to men, and the legal right to wear (or not wear) whatever they want?

The hijab is a symbol of sexism and oppression in countries where women are legally required to wear them, and any regions where they have strong cultural & family pressures to do do (regardless of law).

*If you think you know what this video will be about, and think it will be cringy, then don't bother to watch it. It most definitely is what it looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkitwC9HSOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIvdqNU8rX4

Both Christianity and Islam have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them the moral ways.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/theft-values/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoxPapPxXk

Regards
DL
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Greatest I am wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:08 pmBoth Christianity and Islam have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions.
They haven't developed into this. They were always like this. Christianity has actually developed in the opposite direction and has become much more tolerant than before.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Jebus wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:24 am They haven't developed into this. They were always like this. Christianity has actually developed in the opposite direction and has become much more tolerant than before.
nothing to add from PsYcHo now. Just seems this post makes an excellent point, and we don't have a voting option. Invisible thumbs up for agreement.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Jebus wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:24 am
Greatest I am wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:08 pmBoth Christianity and Islam have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions.
They haven't developed into this. They were always like this. Christianity has actually developed in the opposite direction and has become much more tolerant than before.
True that secular law has clipped Christianity's more immoral views but Christianity still has a long way to go before it becomes a moral ideology.

Regards
DL
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Greatest I am wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:59 amChristianity still has a long way to go before it becomes a moral ideology.
It's more likely to disappear before it becomes a moral ideology.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Jebus wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:13 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:59 amChristianity still has a long way to go before it becomes a moral ideology.
It's more likely to disappear before it becomes a moral ideology.
Let us pray the it takes Islam with it when it dies.

Regards
DL
LucyT
Diet: Reducetarian

Post by LucyT »

I am going to answer the initial question.

It all goes back to Seeptember 11th, 2001. On that day, a bunch of pissed off Muslim extremists, tired of US military presence in the middle east, the western ideals degrading their religious prowess, and the US support is Israel, they hijacked 4 planes and crashed them into main governmental data buildings. While before the attacks, US relations with Muslims were lukewarm, it suddenly turned into hostility.

Americans, unable to tell the difference between a religion and a race, took to harassing and bullying everyone who "looked" Muslim, often hurling racial slurs at them. I remember back during this time, when the main talk was about whether or not people wanted to go to war against the "sand niggers." Many people wanted all Muslims to be deported, Bush called for a registry that was disproportionately targeted towards people of Arabic descent. Many innocent Arabs were unconstitutionally imprisoned without rights due to the US detaining hundreds of people who were Arabic-descended males, like the hijackers.

These events and the persecution and discrimination aimed at Muslims and people of Arabic descent were caused by many people seeing Islam as inherently dangerous. Most talk surrounding Muslims had to deal with Arabic people, including Sikhs and Hindu's. Very little of it had to deal with the religion, and more to do with the phenotypic traits of the people who followed said religion.

The reason progressives are so eager to defend Islam, is that the same is done today as it was back then. Islamophobia is deemed as racist because it is not often hurled at the principals of Islam itself. In the Trump-era, more and more people are attacking Muslims, instead of fighting against extremist Islam. So to many, defending Islam as a religion simultaneously defends the practitioners of Islam.

For instance, Trump is seeking to ban Muslims from entering the country from several countries. This doesn't in any way block the terrorists, who can just go to a different country and take THEIR plane, boat, etc, to the US. It mainly just blocks people who share a similar skin tone and belief system from entering the US.

THAT is why they are defending Islam.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

LucyT wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:58 pm
The reason progressives are so eager to defend Islam, is that the same is done today as it was back then. Islamophobia is deemed as racist because it is not often hurled at the principals of Islam itself. In the Trump-era, more and more people are attacking Muslims, instead of fighting against extremist Islam. So to many, defending Islam as a religion simultaneously defends the practitioners of Islam.
Well thought out.

I did want to ask a question on what I did not snip.

Do you see the principles of Islam and Sharia as compatible with those of the Western free nations?

Regards
DL