Why are "progressives" so eager to defend Islam?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
User avatar
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:24 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: Why are "progressives" so eager to defend Islam?

Post by PsYcHo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:44 pm

Greatest I am wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:07 pm
Jebus wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:13 pm
Greatest I am wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:59 am
Christianity still has a long way to go before it becomes a moral ideology.
It's more likely to disappear before it becomes a moral ideology.
Let us pray that it takes Islam with it when it dies.

Regards
DL
Also nothing to add from PsYcHo at this time, just appreciating multiple points. ( can we get a thumbs up/down option? )
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.

LucyT
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Reducetarian

Post by LucyT » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:22 am

Greatest I am wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:52 pm

Do you see the principles of Islam and Sharia as compatible with those of the Western free nations?
Me, personally? No.

However, if I am going to play the devil's advocate when combating Sharia Law, we tend to strawman various Muslims countries. We tend to believe that all they do is stone people to death and assault women. We forget that they have a society, and act more like humans on a daily basis than just raping women and slaughtering gays. We also tend to forget that Islamic legal jargon, like a Fatwa, is not anything more than a legal opinion that may or may not ever be upheld.

That is not to say that it is grand in these countries, as unlike first world countries, they are often very strict in denying homosexuality, women to dress immodestly, and free speech. In these cases, the laws are counter to our western laws. However, in many instances, this may be beneficial to society, as the freedom of the west can easily come at a price.

For instance, under Sharia law, you should not have sex before marriage, and a marriage between husband and wife is a legally binding contract that gives the wife as much power in the relationship as she wants so long as it is written. NOT bunny-fucking everyone you meet, getting pregnant at 14, or growing a child in a single-parent household is much more beneficial to society, and that is something we can learn from Sharia.

So while I do not believe Sharia is compatible with the freedoms of the west, it has the potential to incorporate western ideologies.

User avatar
Greatest I am
Full Member
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:24 am
Religion: Other
Diet: Vegan

Post by Greatest I am » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:19 am

LucyT wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:22 am
Greatest I am wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:52 pm

Do you see the principles of Islam and Sharia as compatible with those of the Western free nations?
Me, personally? No.

However, if I am going to play the devil's advocate when combating Sharia Law, we tend to strawman various Muslims countries. We tend to believe that all they do is stone people to death and assault women. We forget that they have a society, and act more like humans on a daily basis than just raping women and slaughtering gays. We also tend to forget that Islamic legal jargon, like a Fatwa, is not anything more than a legal opinion that may or may not ever be upheld.

That is not to say that it is grand in these countries, as unlike first world countries, they are often very strict in denying homosexuality, women to dress immodestly, and free speech. In these cases, the laws are counter to our western laws. However, in many instances, this may be beneficial to society, as the freedom of the west can easily come at a price.

For instance, under Sharia law, you should not have sex before marriage, and a marriage between husband and wife is a legally binding contract that gives the wife as much power in the relationship as she wants so long as it is written. NOT bunny-fucking everyone you meet, getting pregnant at 14, or growing a child in a single-parent household is much more beneficial to society, and that is something we can learn from Sharia.

So while I do not believe Sharia is compatible with the freedoms of the west, it has the potential to incorporate western ideologies.
So does the KKK and Nazism. But they will not, and neither will Sharia.

If you think women in Islam have ---- "and a marriage between husband and wife is a legally binding contract that gives the wife as much power in the relationship as she wants so long as it is written." --- you do not know Islam or Sharia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDxzyq-SM9A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEXONtgdo24

Just two of many links I could put.

The bottom line of Sharia and Islam. ----- Quran (2:228) - "and the men are a degree above them [women]"

Quran (4:11) - (Inheritance) "The male shall have the equal of the portion of two females" (see also verse 4:176). In Islam, sexism is mathematically established.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Lightningman_42
Master in Training
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:19 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: California

Post by Lightningman_42 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbFY-xZgJ6s

Have any of you ever made posts on Twitter, exposing teachings of Islam which "promote violence against, threaten, or harass other people"? If so, have you been banned for doing so?

I ask because Twitter supposedly has "rules against hateful conduct." Rules which would be violated by some of the teachings of Islam, if they were to be shared. Yet somehow, one of Twitter's shareholders is a fanatical muslim and Saudi billionaire. Somehow, muslims can get away with promoting the most hateful and morally deplorable teachings of their religion. Meanwhile, the Apostate Prophet gets banned for exposing the hate-speech of Islam!?
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein

User avatar
Greatest I am
Full Member
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:24 am
Religion: Other
Diet: Vegan

Post by Greatest I am » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:36 pm

No.

I wonder if they are winning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... TdKxCz2FIQ

Try posting something more general like the following, with the Gnostic comments out if you are not one.

Both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them the moral ways.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/theft-values/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoxPapPxXk

Humanity centered religions, good? Yes. Esoteric ecumenist Gnostic Christianity being the best of these.

Supernaturally based religions, evil? Yes. Islam and Christianity being the worst of these.

Regards
DL

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests