Feeling anachronistic?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
K_Shea
Diet: Vegan

Feeling anachronistic?

Post by K_Shea »

Tomorrow marks my sixth week of upholding a vegan lifestyle and even longer as an atheist (though I can't really pinpoint exactly when I self-identified as such), and I've noticed that as time continues to pass I feel more and more like a historian viewing this point in time from a future perspective.

In regards to religion, for instance, I've begun to contemplate the far-reaching effects of faith-based indoctrination, especially on the mass scale that it plays out at present, and how only a small minority of people are able to escape it. It seems to me that this small minority will one day, in fact, be the majority, but as it stands I'm quite sure I won't be alive to experience this. Thus, I feel at times that I hold moral and cultural views from another time period, particularly one in which I will not live to see.

I should note that I'm in no way discontented with the present--rational living is something I eagerly pursue here and now through veganism and atheism and I enjoy doing so. I also don't in any way think I'm the first to feel this in-the-wrong-time-period state of mind. I imagine there are those who have felt this throughout much of human history.

Nevertheless, I'm curious to learn of others' experiences and insights into this.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Feeling anachronistic?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

With life extension being what it is, if you eat healthy enough and are a little lucky you may live to see it.
Or maybe it will happen sooner than we imagine.

I think I know the feeling. What really troubles me is the people who know what is to come and how people of the future will see our generation and yet they do nothing to change.
Jamie in Chile
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Jamie in Chile »

I have also begun to feel this way. I feel that in the future my views about animal rights, which today are radical, will be more widely accepted and likewise my views about the environment, protecting the planet and so on will become more mainstream.
K_Shea

Post by K_Shea »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:23 am With life extension being what it is, if you eat healthy enough and are a little lucky you may live to see it.
Or maybe it will happen sooner than we imagine.

I think I know the feeling. What really troubles me is the people who know what is to come and how people of the future will see our generation and yet they do nothing to change.
I hear you. I think what's most frustrating for me right now is learning how slowly change takes, especially my own transition to veganism, for example. But I think in the grand scheme, this rate of change is hastening which is fodder for optimism and activism for me.
K_Shea

Post by K_Shea »

Jamie in Chile wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:43 pm I have also begun to feel this way. I feel that in the future my views about animal rights, which today are radical, will be more widely accepted and likewise my views about the environment, protecting the planet and so on will become more mainstream.
I absolutely agree, this is where my anachronistic feelings arise--from my firm belief that animal exploitation will be refuted by the overwhelming majority in the years/decades/centuries to come.

By the way, I noticed from your username you're in Chile, hablas espanol? Estoy aprendiendo espanol y siempre estoy tratando de mejorar mi espanol asi que si hablas espanol quizas voy a usar unas frases espanoles de vez en cuando ;)
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Good post. I feel the same way.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.