Would you date a transgender?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.

Would you date a transgender?

Yes
6
50%
No
3
25%
Maybe
3
25%
 
Total votes: 12

User avatar
NonZeroSum
Master in Training
Posts: 974
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:30 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: North Wales, UK

Re: Would you date a transgender?

Post by NonZeroSum » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:40 am

Jebus wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:11 am
NonZeroSum wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:47 am
It's comparable to the notion that vegans are 'food fixated' and attention seeking, a vocal minority are.
I don't get the vegan "food fixated" part at all. Why would a vegan be "food fixated" and why would anyone consider a vegan food fixated? My personal experience has been the opposite, i.e. non-vegans don't think I love food as much as they do.
I can assure you they criticize us for both caring too much about green smoothies and not caring enough about bacon. Which amounts to the same short sighted critique of trans people as "My guess is that they are gender fixated and/or victims of a gender fixated society."
The attention seeking part is more understandable as vegans often see veganism as a dominant part of their identity. However, the consequences of an attention seeking vegan is usually positive.
I disagree, being too willing to draw the conversation to veganism where there isn't a strong association or a good reason to believe we can make an effective difference in how someone views animal suffering is the main thing carnists bash us over the head with, for promoting our identity as superior in all aspects of our life where it isn't always warranted.
I'm not sure the same can be said for an attention seeking transgender person.
All attention seeking for egotistical reasons are bad, but seeing transgender people succeed in their work in the public spotlight like Laverne Cox can be seen a good step for normalizing minority identities as much as vegan celebrities.
NonZeroSum wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:47 am
I'd just echo what equALLity said that you can't make a blanket statement about all black people
I don't think that's a good analogy. Being black, provided that education is controlled for, predicts very little about one's behavior, whereas one can make some predictions of how a transgender will act.

The idea that your gender should have anything to do with how long you grow your hair, what clothes or make-up you wear, or whether or not you wear a tie is ridiculous and I suspect this is something that will go away in the future. Hence I think transgenders are closed-minded in the sense that they feel a need to look like their current society expects their gender identity to look.
I'm pretty sure this is something a-gender or gender-nonconforming people are quite vocal about, like why do we need toys for girls and toys for boys. What you appear to be talking about are transsexual people who want to 'pass/present' as the sex they believe they are mentally. And so use all the techniques you describe to 'accentuate' female characteristics. If you don't see those stylistic layers as desirable that's OK, but staking a claim on them not being a real expression of their true selves would be getting onto dodgy territory.
Unofficial librarian of vegan and socialist movements, video and writing culture.

PhiloVegan Wiki: https://tinyurl.com/y7jc6kh6
Vegan Video Library: https://tinyurl.com/yb3udm8x
Activist Journeys YouTube: https://tinyurl.com/y9vwdcj3

User avatar
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1149
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:24 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:19 pm

I vaguely recall a paper someone wrote saying if you wouldn't date a transgender person, you are a bigot (basically). I thought it was total bullshit.

There has to be some physical attraction for a relationship to work, and not being attracted to someone who is biologically the same sex is quite normal. (although too constraining in my point of view. ;) )

I find the assumption that not being attracted to someone who is now identifying as the opposite sex they were born with is morally wrong ludicrous. After all, you don't choose to be gay or straight or bi or trans, you just are. So if you aren't attracted to a trans-sexual, I get it.

(Here's an ironic tidbit, lot's of people don't like bi-sexuals, due to the fact that they are attracted to both sexes. Your gay partner worries you'll run off with a woman, and your female partner worries you'll run off with a man. God, I hope those two never meet.. :lol:
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.

User avatar
Cloppy
Newbie
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:59 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by Cloppy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:07 am

PsYcHo wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:19 pm
I vaguely recall a paper someone wrote saying if you wouldn't date a transgender person, you are a bigot (basically). I thought it was total bullshit.

There has to be some physical attraction for a relationship to work, and not being attracted to someone who is biologically the same sex is quite normal. (although too constraining in my point of view. ;) )

I find the assumption that not being attracted to someone who is now identifying as the opposite sex they were born with is morally wrong ludicrous. After all, you don't choose to be gay or straight or bi or trans, you just are. So if you aren't attracted to a trans-sexual, I get it.

(Here's an ironic tidbit, lot's of people don't like bi-sexuals, due to the fact that they are attracted to both sexes. Your gay partner worries you'll run off with a woman, and your female partner worries you'll run off with a man. God, I hope those two never meet.. :lol:
I believe there is only 2 genders and I don't believe that gender is a social construct like many people say. I got called names and everything because I said I wouldn't date a transgender and some of them got triggered because I said I prefer real women. Yes REAL ones, they were triggered because I said they aren't real which is true, if you look at the definition of the word real. I also think that it's not natural and bad for society since now you have a lot more transgenders than before and children are learning about it and are exposed to all of it. This could actually change them and I see women as women and men as men. As for transgenders I still see them as men or women but I mean the gender they were born with. All they did is modify their body. Many people will just call me a hater or something like that. Society today just doesn't make sense anymore and everyone is so sensitive, they just start caring more about those minorities than caring about the rest, the aren't looking at the real problems and most of the real problems are just ignored if it has anything to do with a sensitive subject. We are really just too many people on this planet and too many of them are just being useless and have no future. Instead of caring so much about what gender you are and what clothes you should wear just think of what you're going to do in life and do something useful. The people today think it's possible to change human nature, it's not. For example racism is human nature and it has always existed. It still exist today and we can't change it. Trying to fight for it just doesn't work, just like the people of different races are now racist against white people and attack them or see them as evil. This is still racism. So yeah back to the main subject, I am not attracted to transgenders. They can call me names or anything, I won't change it and I can't force myself to like them. Also I'm not hating them, I don't hate anyone. I just don't like the idea.

User avatar
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1149
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:24 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:57 am

Hmm. I can see your point about attraction, but you do come off as having a bit of animosity towards trans-persons.

I agree that a lot of people are too sensitive lately, but those of us in that boat( the ones who think people are getting too sensitive) shouldn't try to balance the scales by being too.....(du fuck is the word for non sensitive.?)

I accept people who "go against the grain", because I do whatever I want as well, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

I'm male, but I have had male partners. That is my right, and I don't care if you like it, I just expect you to leave me alone. But I also believe that if you (for religious or other reasons) feel that is wrong, that is also your right, and I will leave you alone. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to have a civil interaction.

A straight bigot who assaults gays is just as worrisome to me as a homosexual who threatens a person/business that takes a non-violent gay position. I don't expect people to applaud my lifestyle just to be politically correct, but it seems that some on the LGBT side want total acceptance, instead of tolerance. I tolerate people who drive slow in the fast lane, but I sure as hell don't have to embrace it. (seriously. Fuck those people.)

and just an aside, I'm not a brony, but my dashie is cooler than yours by at least 20%... :lol:
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.

User avatar
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1891
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:08 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by Jebus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:22 am

Cloppy wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:07 am
racism is human nature
Incorrect. Racism is learned. Little kids don't care who they are playing with. It's later in life that they become racists because of shitty parents, shitty friends, jealousy etc.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.

User avatar
DarlBundren
Senior Member
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:59 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegetarian
Location: Southern Europe

Post by DarlBundren » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:40 am

Cloppy wrote:This could actually change them and I see women as women and men as men. As for transgenders I still see them as men or women but I mean the gender they were born with
I am sorry, but biology is far messier than that. Look at what The World Health Organization has to say on the matter:
WHO wrote:Humans are born with 46 chromosomes in 23 pairs. The X and Y chromosomes determine a person’s sex. Most women are 46XX and most men are 46XY. Research suggests, however, that in a few births per thousand some individuals will be born with a single sex chromosome (45X or 45Y) (sex monosomies) and some with three or more sex chromosomes (47XXX, 47XYY or 47XXY, etc.) (sex polysomies). In addition, some males are born 46XX due to the translocation of a tiny section of the sex determining region of the Y chromosome. Similarly some females are also born 46XY due to mutations in the Y chromosome. Clearly, there are not only females who are XX and males who are XY, but rather, there is a range of chromosome complements, hormone balances, and phenotypic variations that determine sex.
Add to this the condition known as hermaphroditism and things get even more complicated. There's also one study that shows that transexuality may have a genetic basis. And, course, this doesn't even address the mind, which is another can of worms entirely.
Psycho wrote:and just an aside, I'm not a brony, but my dashie is cooler than yours by at least 20%...
As a little OT, can anyone explain to me what's going on with the 'My little pony' thing?

User avatar
Cloppy
Newbie
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:59 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by Cloppy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:36 am

DarlBundren wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:40 am
Psycho wrote:and just an aside, I'm not a brony, but my dashie is cooler than yours by at least 20%...
As a little OT, can anyone explain to me what's going on with the 'My little pony' thing?
Just watch it and see what it is. Maybe you would like it too.

Whole
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:49 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by Whole » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:53 pm

There is so much prejudice in this thread.

Who are you to throw out verbal abuse describing trans people as not being “real” members of their gender? The accurate (and hence not verbally abusive) term for what you meant to say is “cis”, or alternatively just “not trans”.

I am really not surprised that you never got along with any trans people, and feel glad that they don't have you in their lives. At least until you fix your attitude. You think you have a worthwhile, constructive opinion on this topic but you really don't.

User avatar
EquALLity
I am God
Posts: 2997
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:31 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: United States of Canada

Post by EquALLity » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Whole wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:53 pm
There is so much prejudice in this thread.

Who are you to throw out verbal abuse describing trans people as not being “real” members of their gender? The accurate (and hence not verbally abusive) term for what you meant to say is “cis”, or alternatively just “not trans”.

I am really not surprised that you never got along with any trans people, and feel glad that they don't have you in their lives. At least until you fix your attitude. You think you have a worthwhile, constructive opinion on this topic but you really don't.
Agreed.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx

User avatar
knot
Master in Training
Posts: 534
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:34 pm

Post by knot » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:10 pm

Would you date a transgender?
Given enough caveats, sure.

I had a crush on Blaire White... until she mentioned that she still has a penis :p

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests