God maybe does exist

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Superlol
Diet: Meat-Eater

God maybe does exist

Post by Superlol »

How about we go over some facts. Humans have a deep curiosity with life and creating life, maybe even virtual life like A I. We have tools which eventually led to binary code and computers (thanks to a nazie). In these computers we might create something like a artificially intelligent human which we create a planet for and set laws and study them. Since we can do this if we got extra computing power and use ourself as reference, it is possible. For these A.I in this world in the computer living like us, thinking and what not and praying to us probably with religion. Since we will probably do this with our curiosity, it makes us think, could we be in a computer, praying to a god who may actually have done all that stuff religious books say because it was curious of our reaction. What I'm trying to say is i dont like the term atheist. I much prefer agnostic atheist. I much want to see any remarks to this.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: God maybe does exist

Post by brimstoneSalad »

When people use the word "god" generally, they usually mean a certain kind of thing.

Particularly, the god of classical theism, which has particular qualities that this hypothetical computer programmer does not possess.

When you ask of any concept whether it does not exist, can not exist, may to the extent of our knowledge exist, or does exist in reality as a thing beyond mere concept, first you have to understand what that thing is, and what the word you're asking about means.

Do you believe in Unicorns?
What if 'Unicorn' is redefined from "magical horse with one horn" to simply "rhinoceros"?
Now do you believe?

Epistemological questions are first and foremost a question of definitions.
Any discussion of whether a god exists or could exists is as such, first and foremost, a discussion of the definition of a god.

And when we consider definitions, we have to look at semantics.

Are you more a Linguistic Prescriptivist , or a Descriptivist?

If you don't first know that, like somebody who doesn't even understand Newtonian Physics regarding Quantum Physics, then you are not qualified to discuss this subject.

You may need to first study up before you can make this kind of argument, because so far, everything you've said on this forum has been at best naïve (and this is being incredibly generous).
Superlol
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by Superlol »

Yes when people say god they add more characteristics and a timeline dating to there culture and belief system. How do you know this or these particular computer programers do not posses. Curiosity will finally lead a person to know all about everything, and even what will happen to humans if so and so happens. And if he's curious enough to build tools, that eventually lead to a computer, he or they probably has enough to imagine a senecio like this and question it. I have studied this subject and it is extremely possible, In fact its likely. Any superior being which was created in the hundred of billions of years closer to the beginning of the universe, relative to us, could've created this machine and do. This machine is a product of any class 2 or class 3 civilian. I've read Steven Hawkins and Michio kakus books( brief history of time, the future of the mind....) I've also watched thought the wormhole with Morgan freeman and every other science show from the past 3 years. Believe me i may be 21 but I'm heavily researching in all subjects. And this is an extremely likely scenario. If you are displeased by this please show me any flaw in this and I will kindly answer it.

To answer your question unicorns may exist. Product of evolution in another part of the universe, or conjured up in a program that something will probably program in the future.
Last edited by Superlol on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philosophical Vegan

Post by Philosophical Vegan »

Superlol wrote:Slo god can exist
If you wish to add more information, change your stated views, or answer a question that you failed to answer previously, you're welcome to make another post in this thread, but DO NOT make posts like these to bump your threads or try to provoke replies through taunting.

If people want to reply, they will.
Twizelby
Diet: Vegan

Post by Twizelby »

If you look at my topic i have a point. That comment was not to troll but answer what part of the topic i was trying to highlight. As a scientist once said" if you look of the vastness of the universe in time and space as a circle, how much of it do we know, and in the humongous realm that we don't is it possible for a Devine being to exist". The real answer is I Dont know. This is the flaw in atheism. Theres a possibility no matter how small that a god exist. Theres a term for people who understand this and thats agnostic or some theist.
From different related thread by superlol.*

I think most atheists characterize themselves as agnostic atheists. so we don't know but if provided evidence for God then we would be glad to examine it, until convincing evidence exist we have no reason to believe it, same as any other claim.