Vegan infighting and movement unity; response to ModVegan

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Vegan infighting and movement unity; response to ModVegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

EquALLity wrote: Well, er... With all due respect for your intelligence and stuff, ( ;) ) I don't know if that in particular is the best example.
I think it's a great example, because you can see how frustrated and contemptuous I was. ;)
And how not so nice at some points. He was being pretty stupid.
The problem is not that ABLC called UV stupid, but he failed to respect her enough to correct her.

That thread was very painful, and yet I kept at it with the assumption that he would be intelligent enough to comprehend my argument.

I had infinitely more respect for Teo than ABLC had for UV.
It's a photograph you moron. You have no idea what angle or frame the camera is using. It's easy to move the horizon around by slightly changing the camera position and angle.

You're so stupid this is painful to me.
He was bring pretty stupid. Aggressively so. Like there was a deep imprint of my palm on my face.
And yet he ultimately understood it after extensive explanation. That's because, despite the stupidity, he was not completely unintelligent underneath it.
I had just enough respect for him to keep correcting him. Although just barely at points.

Which is kind of the point: you saw how, despite not being always nice, I kept working with him.
Respect is a gradation, of course. But not even providing an argument for the person is rock bottom. And that's how ABLC treated UV. Waaaaay worse than I treated Teo. And he was convinced that the Earth was flat.
ModVegan

Post by ModVegan »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
ModVegan wrote:It really surprises me that he would have asked her to keep the correspondence confidential and then shared it himself. It doesn't seem in keeping with what I know of him.
She asked him permission to share it, and he denied permission.
EDIT: Apparently he shared it himself, THEN denied UV permission to share it. :shock: That's even weirder.
Yeah, that's weird!

brimstoneSalad wrote:It had nothing to do with his credibility on Buddhism (I'm sure he's one of the foremost experts in the world), but with his behavior: the failure to respect the people he was arguing with enough to present an actual argument, just like he disrespected UV by not responding to her arguments on pets.
I thought he did respond to her fairly clearly in this video https://youtu.be/6ax--rEsXWE

I think he felt he responded with the video where he talked about animals being castrated? Personally I fall somewhere in the middle - I think it's a little silly to say animals "don't notice" they've been castrated, as UV maintains . On the other hand, it seems necessary to control the domesticated population. And ABLC has stated a few times that they shouldn't really be killed or allowed to roam free - that they should be adopted and kept inside as prisoners? He's also mentioned hormonal bc because it's used on some wild animals.
brimstoneSalad wrote:You can disrespect a position or argument, but if you respect the person who holds that position then you should take your time to try to educate that person rather than insulting the argument and saying it's beneath contempt; how does that help anybody or change minds?
No disagreement there!
brimstoneSalad wrote: Did you see the way he talked about it, or see her video on it?
The way he behaved toward her was unacceptable. I can't blame her for any reaction to that she may have had.
As he mentions in his video "Unnatural Vegan Hates Me, I Guess. (Vegan Civil War?)", he spent a lot of time talking to VegAnn off YT/Patreon, so I can't really say that this is entirely clear.
brimstoneSalad wrote:If he thinks he's right, he needs to spend less time calling people stupid and more time making an argument. That was all on him.
Again, no argument from me there.
brimstoneSalad wrote:This is a repeating pattern with ABLC, though. Unless he can learn from his past mistakes and start respecting people regardless of whether he respects certain arguments, and starts being more patient and presenting his own arguments to counter even those arguments he considers beneath contempt because he wants to help lead the people in the right direction, he'll never be effective at maintaining these relationships.
I wrote a letter on that subject that Eisel shared with his patreon group back in June. As you may have surmised, we have different views on how much to censor our own opinions ;)
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
EquALLity wrote: Well, er... With all due respect for your intelligence and stuff, ( ;) ) I don't know if that in particular is the best example.
I think it's a great example, because you can see how frustrated and contemptuous I was. ;)
And how not so nice at some points. He was being pretty stupid.
The problem is not that ABLC called UV stupid, but he failed to respect her enough to correct her.

That thread was very painful, and yet I kept at it with the assumption that he would be intelligent enough to comprehend my argument.

I had infinitely more respect for Teo than ABLC had for UV.
It's a photograph you moron. You have no idea what angle or frame the camera is using. It's easy to move the horizon around by slightly changing the camera position and angle.

You're so stupid this is painful to me.
He was bring pretty stupid. Aggressively so. Like there was a deep imprint of my palm on my face.
And yet he ultimately understood it after extensive explanation. That's because, despite the stupidity, he was not completely unintelligent underneath it.
I had just enough respect for him to keep correcting him. Although just barely at points.

Which is kind of the point: you saw how, despite not being always nice, I kept working with him.
Respect is a gradation, of course. But not even providing an argument for the person is rock bottom. And that's how ABLC treated UV. Waaaaay worse than I treated Teo. And he was convinced that the Earth was flat.
Welllll, ok. You technically respected his intelligence *enough*, but you didn't really actually respect his intelligence at some points.
*I don't know or really want to know about the ridiculous YT drama, but from what I've seen in the few videos I've watched about it, I agree that he was wrong in not respond to her arguments. I don't think he had bad intentions or is a bad person or anything though; I think he just had a really bad lapse in judgement.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

ModVegan wrote: I thought he did respond to her fairly clearly in this video https://youtu.be/6ax--rEsXWE
That was June 29th, after UV's video on the 28th. Too little too late, I'm guessing. It was already after the sharing of the private correspondence and refusal to address the arguments.

If that video had contained an apology for not addressing her arguments, and then continued on to address them (like that, or even more thoroughly perhaps), I think it would have been a different matter. Or if he just published something like that originally.
ModVegan wrote: Personally I fall somewhere in the middle - I think it's a little silly to say animals "don't notice" they've been castrated, as UV maintains .
I don't know if they notice or not. When it's done young, probably not. When it's done on mature animals, they're probably a bit confused; I'm not convinced that there's any evidence that they suffer any kind of body dysmorphic stress. I don't find that argument particularly compelling. There would need to be some evidence there beyond some company marketing fake balls.
ModVegan wrote: On the other hand, it seems necessary to control the domesticated population.
Absolutely. There are also health benefits for many animals, reducing incidence of certain diseases, and reducing tendency to run off and be hit by cars.
ModVegan wrote: And ABLC has stated a few times that they shouldn't really be killed or allowed to roam free - that they should be adopted and kept inside as prisoners?
I thought he wanted them to be released to roam free, and hunt and kill other animals because it's natural.
ModVegan wrote: He's also mentioned hormonal bc because it's used on some wild animals.
How is that not interfering with them? :shock:
It's also less reliable and less healthy. And it's not going to stop cats (or dogs) from running off and getting hit by cars or poisoned or killed by coyotes... or other strays. Failing to neutralize hormones can make them much more aggressive.

Regardless, the technology and infrastructure for that kind of population control doesn't exist. Although I love to talk about the possibilities, it doesn't make sense to so severely criticize an existing poor solution and substitute science fictional recommendations.

I don't personally agree with keeping cats, and you can see my thoughts on pets in general here:
http://philosophicalvegan.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2258&p=24083#p24083
I wrote:particularly when it comes to rescues (even perhaps sometimes for animals that eat some meat although that's more controversial) I don't think a credible argument can be made against it being vegan. Whenever we criticize others, we adopt a pretty heavy burden of proof too.

Only in the case of acquiring an animal for whom all of these apply would I make that argument:

1. Has been bred or sold as commercially desirable rather than rescued from death
2. Has a non-vegan diet (to a non-negligible extent)
3. Is kept in captivity for private reasons (e.g. not bred in a wildlife sanctuary or zoo for conservation/public education purposes)
4. There is no reason to believe this is necessary (e.g. as a service animal where better options are not viable, or as natural pest control)

Short any one of those requirements, I would probably not dare to suggest it was non-vegan.
Even when those cases are all met, I'm not really inclined to call people out on things like these (unless they ask). We have bigger issues on our plates, and ideological purity isn't something I'm terribly obsessed with in practice.
ModVegan wrote: As he mentions in his video "Unnatural Vegan Hates Me, I Guess. (Vegan Civil War?)", he spent a lot of time talking to VegAnn off YT/Patreon, so I can't really say that this is entirely clear.
I thought Ann cited more that that in her video. What he said in itself was pretty good evidence of inappropriate and dismissive behavior (including his own videos).
ModVegan wrote: I wrote a letter on that subject that Eisel shared with his patreon group back in June. As you may have surmised, we have different views on how much to censor our own opinions ;)
I'd love to see it, if you can repost it here. Did he reply?
ModVegan

Post by ModVegan »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
ModVegan wrote: I wrote a letter on that subject that Eisel shared with his patreon group back in June. As you may have surmised, we have different views on how much to censor our own opinions ;)
He replied, but within Patreon, so I can't really show it here. Sorry!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

ModVegan wrote:
brimstoneSalad wrote:
He replied, but within Patreon, so I can't really show it here. Sorry!
Oh, I meant the letter itself, which you wrote.
ModVegan

Post by ModVegan »

Ah. Yes, I don't mind sharing it, because I think the sentiments it contains remain relevant to the vegan movement as a whole. Here it is in full:

Greetings, Eisel!

I hope your health is on the mend! I'm amazed at how well you've managed to record podcasts and videos with such a terrible flu.

You mentioned in your letter to Unnatural Vegan that you've chosen to state many of your personal opinions in brief, rather than expanding on them, which of course is your prerogative.

However, I'm still curious as to whether you consider all of Peter Singer's work equally ridiculous (i.e., does the fact that you disagree with utilitarian ethics cause you to find all his views morally repugnant?).

You've mentioned Karl Popper a number of times, and I've come to assume that you're more drawn toward his argument about minimizing pain, rather than maximizing pleasure (I believe this is negative utilitarianism?). I do think you could have simply stated this directly, which would have been less confusing than writing off Singer as absurd without any justification, but of course, that is your choice.

You mention tolerance frequently, but I do think that derisiveness is harmful to community, if that is something you desire. This is purely from my perspective, but I found you to be far more accommodating to DR (the apology to Freelee, etc.) than to Unnatural Vegan, in spite of the fact that there was virtually no possibility of any agreement with DR.

I think many of us joined your Patreon because the level of discourse is higher than on YouTube, and we hoped to form a community of sorts. I really enjoy your podcasts and videos, because there honestly isn't much intellectually stimulating discussion of veganism out there.

I also appreciate your evenhanded approach and rejection of violence - both of which represent major flaws in most vegan groups.

Still, I must confess it saddened me to see both Unnatural Vegan's letter and yours. I was reminded that it can be remarkably difficult for intelligent people to find common ground, even when they hold so much in common!

Hopefully, vegans will be able to carve out a community somewhere in this world. I thought that it was the competitive nature of YouTube that was the problem, but now I think it has more to do with our inability to let bygones be bygones. With luck, perhaps you and Unnatural vegan will come to agree that what divides you is much less important than what unites you.

Best regards,
Margaret Lozano

Eisel responded was that he felt he was much harder on DR and Freelee (which is true, in retrospect), and that his MO from the beginning has been to be as real and raw as possible (something I'm not personally sure is compatible with building consensus, etc).

It's true he approaches YouTube far differently than I do. But I appreciate his content, and I always find his perspective interesting. Ultimately, it's always sad when people you like don't get along, but it's also rather inevitable.