Giving to the Homeless

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Giving to the Homeless

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote: Intersectional theory is starting to sound like a conspiracy theory now that I think about it.
It is. If you disagree with anything in it, you're silenced as part of the patriarchy. It's unfortunate, because it's killing the left/progressivism. The same way the irrational dogma of fundamentalism took over the right (if you disagree with them, then you're in league with the devil; same thing. Unfalsifiable hypothesis taken as fact and meant to maintain an echo chamber).
Take5
Diet: Vegan

Re: Giving to the Homeless

Post by Take5 »

If you live in a city, they likely have several homeless shelters that feed and house those who are willing to abide by the rules of the house. (Generally no drinking or drugs.)
I volunteer a couple of hours a week in just such an establishment, where I meet some amazing people. Anyone can become homeless through no fault of their own, it doesn't take much!

I fundraise for the homeless, I give food to a couple of Big Issue sellers, and I can't pass a beggar on the streets without giving them something. If I've been conned, which I doubt very much is the case, so what, at least my conscience is clear. Where I live there is a team whose job it is to locate these homeless people and offer them some help.

"There, but for happenstance, go I", I reckon.