Atheist Godfather

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Diet: Vegan

Atheist Godfather

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

So, here is an interesting turn of events. My extended family does not know Im an atheist (I didn't tell them since I don't want to repeat the last 20 years of family dinners that resulted in objection to my veganism), and my 1st cousin recently had his first child and has asked me to be his godfather. I told him that Im an atheist, and he informed me that he was too. I was quite shocked to hear that!
Im not sure what to do. Do I accept the offer and lie to the priest when he asks me if I will raise the child in the religion? Do I reject the offer?

The way I look at it is, I would be stepping up should something happen to his parents (which Im entirely fine with), however Im not sure if this is a legally binding thing or is it more about ensuring future religious indoctrination?

What would you do?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Atheist Godfather

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Not all godfathers are religious these days.

It could just mean that you'll take care of the kid if anything happens.

Find out more about how official it will be.

In no case would you be legally liable to raise the child in a particular religion, whether it is or isn't a religious ceremony, and whether or not you lie to the priest.
bobo0100

Post by bobo0100 »

As I have said before I live in a cloture somewhat difrent to America and Canada. So I would be fine with accepting the offer, being an open athiest. One way to look at it is to do what is objectively for the best.

Do you feel it would be better if you where to "inherent" the kid?
I feel you would give him the fredom to partake in whatever religion he wishes. In comparison to other likely candidates (if you know of any) how to you think you will compare in regards to the quality of life you can give him? Are any of his freedoms you are likely to give him likely to not be there given a difrent godfather? Thinking in an objective way, do you think you would be the best person to look after the child if anything just so happens to occur?

Altimetly none of us know you very well, so there's no real way for us to confer more discourage the action, I will however say don't worry about lying to the priest. He is a third party being and is therefor iralivant to your desision.

That's my 2 cents anyway.
vegan: to exclude—as far as is practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for any purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.
Shadow Fox

Post by Shadow Fox »

I still do not really know how the god father thing really works. I know I had one when I was a child. From the sounds of it, it is some sort of verbal religious agreement that if the parents die, you will go to the court room and ask to take care of the child yourself.

If you feel that you would be able to do such a thing if such an event were to happen, and you have even the smallest ounce of compassion for the child, go right ahead. It sounds like your cousin just might want to have some reassurance that their kid will be taken care of by someone they can trust if something should go wrong.
We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic dream world of theism.