Forced to go to church

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Re: Forced to go to church

Post by EquALLity »

PsYcHo wrote:
EquALLity wrote:
PsYcHo wrote:For myself, if you are a family member or a stranger, I shouldn't have to try and play the role in life you want me to, as long as I am not hurting anyone else. If you can accept me for who I am, great. If my personal life choices make it impossible for you to love or care for me, I don't need you in my life. I just want to be happy, and if my being happy upsets you, why the hell do I care what you think?
It's different when you're a teenager, though. You're stuck living with your parents until you turn eighteen, you can't just kick them out of your life.
Good point. (I sometimes forget that some of you are young, since you often speak at a higher level than many "adults." :D )

So for those of you still living with your parents, maybe wait until you can stand on your own two feet before revealing such a profound revelation to your parental units. For the adults though, I stand by what I said.
Thanks. :D

Yeah, exactly. If you're an adult, I completely agree with what you said. But you may potentially have to shove your parents out of your lives if they're religious bigots, and it could still be really difficult, so I think people should be aware of that.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
JeoffreyAltKid08
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by JeoffreyAltKid08 »

EquALLity wrote:It's different when you're a teenager, though. You're stuck living with your parents until you turn eighteen, you can't just kick them out of your life.
This pretty much sums up one of my difficulties in this situation. Sure I could tell my parents and get it over with. However, I am uncertain what could happen to me if I tell them that I no longer believe in Christianity especially due to the fact that I'm still in high school and I don't live independently yet.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

^I think you should wait until you are financially independent.
Insert name here

Post by Insert name here »

EquALLity wrote:^I think you should wait until you are financially independent.
This is the best advice that one could receive.
Insert signature here.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

JeoffreyAltKid08 wrote:. Sure I could tell my parents and get it over with. However, I am uncertain what could happen to me if I tell them that I no longer believe in Christianity especially due to the fact that I'm still in high school and I don't live independently yet.
Yeah, the options go from bad to really bad. Since you are not on your own yet, I agree with the others to keep this to yourself for now. (It does give you an opportunity to talk to others and prepare for the "talk" when you feel ready, so that's a plus! :) )
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
JeoffreyAltKid08

brimstoneSalad wrote: To quote about the blasphemy challenge:
Wikipedia wrote:The challenge asks atheists to submit videos to the website YouTube, in which they record themselves blaspheming or denying the existence of the Holy Spirit.[4] According to the RRS' interpretation of several passages of the Bible (specifically, Mark 3:28-29, Matthew 12:30-32 and Luke 12:10), this action is considered an unforgivable sin.[5] Thus, users who took the challenge saw themselves as crossing a point of no return to prove that they truly did not believe in the biblical God and would "accept the consequences" if after their death they find that the Christian form of the Abrahamic God does exist.[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_Response_Squad

If they agree or fear that the sin of blaspheming the holy spirit is unforgivable, you could use that as a bargaining chip.
E.g. in exchange for not making you go to church, you would promise not to blaspheme the holy spirit.
According to them, they believe that such an act cannot be committed today. The only act they believe is the unforgivable sin is dying without accepting Jesus Christ and ultimately not receiving "salvation."
JeoffreyAltKid08

In the event that they do find out before I am financially independent and still living with them, what should I expect to happen and how would I deal with the scenario?
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

JeoffreyAltKid08 wrote:In the event that they do find out before I am financially independent and still living with them, what should I expect to happen and how would I deal with the scenario?
It's difficult to figure out exactly what would happen, but you should probably expect a lot of heated arguing and yelling. They might also push stronger in terms of going to church to try to convert you.

You should probably try to remain calm if there's arguing and try to be really nice them about it, no matter what they say, so that they don't have an excuse to punish you & you can maintain a positive relationship with them (if you want a relationship with them).