Poe's Law is alive and well

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
cufflink
Diet: Vegan

Poe's Law is alive and well

Post by cufflink »

Thought I'd share this little exchange in the comments section of a Muslim web site.

http://muslimvillage.com/2014/04/20/525 ... sexuality/

I wrote what I thought was a clearly satirical comment to a news article about the Sultan of Brunei introducing Sharia law there, which includes the death penalty for homosexuals. The response I got was unexpected. :)

My "nom d'Internet" for this comment was OrangManusia. In Malay, orang manusia means human being.
One Moment in Annihilation's Waste,
One Moment of the Well of Life to taste--
The Stars are setting, and the Caravan
Draws to the Dawn of Nothing--Oh, make haste!

—Fitzgerald, Rubáiyát, 2nd ed., XLIX
DDDx8
Diet: Vegan

Re: Poe's Law is alive and well

Post by DDDx8 »

It was funny, even though it is fucked up that what you are parodying is something that is actually happening. I read it knowing it was a parody because you said it was. Even if I had not had that knowledge what you wrote had too much intelligence in it for someone sounding serious. I guess that guy did not think so. Maybe if there was a few references to Muhammad and some pbuh sprinkled in he would be more justified to find you serious.
To find the world of shoulds so one day others might not have to suffer like the people in the world now.
Sam Arcot
Diet: Meat-Eater

Re: Poe's Law is alive and well

Post by Sam Arcot »

They say they are rejecting globalization. But by eating fertilized food, driving modern vehicles, using smart phones and watching television they are very much into it. They want to enjoy the fruits of a modern society. That is the technology which would have been impossible for them to develop own, but they wish to refrain from giving freedom to people which is also an essential part of modern society. If they wish to seclude themselves from the world, they should also be restrained from accessing scientific facilities and advances.