A Job?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: A Job?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

EquALLity wrote: Why would I have to wait until next summer?
Because:
EquALLity wrote:I'm going to be a CIT (counselor in training) this summer, but that's volunteer work (next year when I become an actual counselor I'll get payed).
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
EquALLity wrote: Why would I have to wait until next summer?
Because:
EquALLity wrote:I'm going to be a CIT (counselor in training) this summer, but that's volunteer work (next year when I become an actual counselor I'll get payed).
Oh, so by 'something else', you're referring to being a camp counselor? Ah.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

EquALLity wrote: Oh, so by 'something else', you're referring to being a camp counselor? Ah.
Not sure what you mean, but that job sounds like:

1. A good experience (an enjoyable one rather than a mediocre or shitty one)
2. One you can learn something meaningful from (how to deal with human psychology and gain interpersonal experience)
3. A good resume piece (much better than McDonalds)
4. A good chance to positively influence people (awesome)
5. The money is icing on the cake.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

EquALLity wrote: You know, I'm older than you. :P
It's annoying enough being patronized by adults, now people who are younger than me as well? :lol:
Why would you even want a job?
All that does, is give you money, and direction, and purpose in life.
You're never going to love that, you've got to do what you love. And the money will follow.
Look at me! I love drawing, I love masturbation, love singing and acting, and I love Kingdom Hearts!
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
EquALLity wrote: Oh, so by 'something else', you're referring to being a camp counselor? Ah.
Not sure what you mean, but that job sounds like:

1. A good experience (an enjoyable one rather than a mediocre or shitty one)
2. One you can learn something meaningful from (how to deal with human psychology and gain interpersonal experience)
3. A good resume piece (much better than McDonalds)
4. A good chance to positively influence people (awesome)
5. The money is icing on the cake.
Well, I'm not sure about that, since I'll be playing with little kids (like toddlers). Maybe I can tell them to eat their veggies. :P

I meant, when you said I'd have to wait until next year to have a meaningful job, was that because next year is when I'll get payed for camp counseling? As in you weren't referring to any other jobs that I'd be able to do next year?
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

RedAppleGP wrote:
EquALLity wrote: You know, I'm older than you. :P
It's annoying enough being patronized by adults, now people who are younger than me as well? :lol:
Why would you even want a job?
All that does, is give you money, and direction, and purpose in life.
You're never going to love that, you've got to do what you love. And the money will follow.
Look at me! I love drawing, I love masturbation, love singing and acting, and I love Kingdom Hearts!
How terrible. :P

This isn't a career job, it's just a job to make money for something I wanted to do. I'm not doing it anymore anyway, though.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

EquALLity wrote: Well, I'm not sure about that, since I'll be playing with little kids (like toddlers). Maybe I can tell them to eat their veggies. :P
I didn't realize they were so young. Nevermind then.
EquALLity wrote:I meant, when you said I'd have to wait until next year to have a meaningful job, was that because next year is when I'll get payed for camp counseling?
Yes.
EquALLity wrote:As in you weren't referring to any other jobs that I'd be able to do next year?
Well, after this summer, if you work hard on your art, I bet you can get some paid art jobs. I wasn't talking about that, though based on the fact that it would be toddlers, doing art jobs wouod probably be the better option. My guess it you can get $3-$4 per hour, and maybe $15 an hour by the end of the summer. Very experienced artists can earn $50 an hour or more (that will take years, though). Art jobs are contract based, not salary, so it's possible to work for $1 per hour since the client doesn't know how long it takes you to do it, just the price for the finished product.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Hey, is it really all about the money? I think the money should just be the icing on the cake; the fact that your talents are being appreciated is what really matters, at least to me.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Well, after this summer, if you work hard on your art, I bet you can get some paid art jobs. I wasn't talking about that, though based on the fact that it would be toddlers, doing art jobs wouod probably be the better option. My guess it you can get $- :-D per hour, and maybe $15 an hour by the end of the summer. Very experienced artists can earn $50 an hour or more (that will take years, though). Art jobs are contract based, not salary, so it's possible to work for $1 per hour since the client doesn't know how long it takes you to do it, just the price for the finished product.
I can get '$- :-D' per hour?

Er, I can get money to smiley faces? Money minus smiley faces?
I feel like there's something I'm missing here. ;P
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

RedAppleGP wrote:Hey, is it really all about the money? I think the money should just be the icing on the cake; the fact that your talents are being appreciated is what really matters, at least to me.
Well, the purpose of the job was to get money to pay for a trip...