A Job?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

A Job?

Post by EquALLity »

I need to get enough money to pay for something, and there's really no way I can do it without a job. I'm going to be a CIT (counselor in training) this summer, but that's volunteer work (next year when I become an actual counselor I'll get payed).

Obviously I don't really have a lot of options since I'm a teenager, but I have a friend who works at McDonald's, and she says that they need more people.
The thing is, I'm concerned that by taking that job that I'd be preventing someone who actually needs it from getting it. I don't actually need the money, I could just not do what I want to do, and some people might need the money to support themselves and their families.

Also, not really that important, but I really hate McDonald's. It gives people disgustingly unhealthy food and doesn't pay its workers a lot.
I have a friend who might work at a thrift shop, so maybe that'll be better. It might also pay more (*edit- she's doing volunteer work at the thrift shop, and she suggested I work at Mrs. Greens, which I would definitely prefer (even though they sell homeopathic stuff), though I'm not sure they need more workers at the moment).

The main issue is displacing potential people who need the job though.
What do you guys think? Am I overthinking this? :P
Last edited by EquALLity on Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Re: A Job?

Post by Red »

EquALLity wrote:I need to get enough money to pay for something, and there's really no way I can do it without a job. I'm going to be a CIT (counselor in training) this summer, but that's volunteer work (next year when I become an actual counselor I'll get payed).
Well it really all depends. What is it you're looking to buy? Is it really of much importance? Do you need to right now? You have to consider those things before getting a job just for buying a thing.
EquALLity wrote: Obviously I don't really have a lot of options since I'm a teenager, but I have a friend who works at McDonald's, and she says that they need more people.
Well it'd be a violation of child labor laws. But don't work at McDolans. Be be honest, I find it kinda sad.
EquALLity wrote: The thing is, I'm concerned that by taking that job that I'd be preventing someone who actually needs it from getting it. I don't actually need the money, I could just not do what I want to do, and some people might need the money to support themselves and their families.
Well, it doesn't have to be a job, I mean, there has to be other things you can do. Instead of throwing your cans and plastic in the recycle, go down to your local supermarket and dispense them in the machines for 5 cents each. It may be a slow process, but I think it's worth it.
EquALLity wrote: Also, not really that important, but I really hate McDonald's. It gives people disgustingly unhealthy food and doesn't pay its workers a lot.
I have a friend who might work at a thrift shop, so maybe that'll be better. It might also pay more.
I agree. Plus you're a vegan, so it wouldn't really make much sense.
EquALLity wrote: The main issue is displacing potential people who need the job though.
Well try finding a low-wage job that's not in high demand. I mean I can't think of any but there are bound to be one or two that you can do. Maybe I'll ship you 20 bucks.
EquALLity wrote: What do you guys think? Am I overthinking this? :P
I don't think you need a job, but it'd be nice to have. My brother works at my grandfather's restaurant, and while he only gets 1/2 of minimum wage, but makes fat stacks in tips. Sure they're all ones, but still. Maybe a delivery guy is something in the market for you.

But seriously, you're still young, getting a job should be the last thing on your mind.

But if you're looking for a job, I mean, I can get you a job. My cousin? He needs a highly motivated self-starter with good.. putting bullets in people skills. One night, ten grand, no questions asked. Piece a cake!
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

RedAppleGP wrote:Well it really all depends. What is it you're looking to buy? Is it really of much importance? Do you need to right now? You have to consider those things before getting a job just for buying a thing.
I don't have any problem with the work that comes with having a job. I really don't mind that, it's not my concern (my concern is who will be prevented from having a job).
It's not like getting a job is necessarily a serious commitment in my context. It's not a big deal. If I decide I don't want to do this, I can just quit. It's McDonald's, I don't really give a shit about quitting and possibly hurting their business. I'd actually like to do that. :twisted:

And they'd probably hire me back if I did quit. My friend literally quit during her shift, on the spot, because she just didn't want to do the work anymore. And they hired her back. Then she quit again, and they hired her back again. :lol:

I'm trying to get enough money to buy a trip in January to the Presidential Inauguration... Are you surprised? :P
I'll likely either see the first woman President or the first maniac President. It'll be historic either way, and I think it'd be really amazing to be there.
RedAppleGP wrote:Well it'd be a violation of child labor laws. But don't work at McDolans. Be be honest, I find it kinda sad.
How would it be a violation? Teenagers can work. There are certain restrictions depending on your job, but in NY you can work at McDonald's as young as fourteen.
RedAppleGP wrote:Well, it doesn't have to be a job, I mean, there has to be other things you can do. Instead of throwing your cans and plastic in the recycle, go down to your local supermarket and dispense them in the machines for 5 cents each. It may be a slow process, but I think it's worth it.
Isn't that not as good for the environment then? What do those machines do?

Anyway, that might help a tiny bit. I get that that can add up, but not enough to pay for this.
RedAppleGP wrote:I agree. Plus you're a vegan, so it wouldn't really make much sense.
Actually, I don't agree with that. I don't blame the workers for being in the business of handling animal products etc.. It's the consumers fault. If I don't take the job, someone else just would. The root problem lies in the hands of the consumers who choose to buy animal products.

I do think that certain jobs are unethical, like doing innovation for the oil industry (when you could just specialize in something else), because that's not something that can necessarily be replaced.
RedAppleGP wrote:Well try finding a low-wage job that's not in high demand. I mean I can't think of any but there are bound to be one or two that you can do. Maybe I'll ship you 20 bucks.
How do I know if it's in high demand? o_O
And haha, that would be appreciated. But that's not going to cover it.

Do you think I'm right about it displacing workers who need the job more? Is there nothing I'm missing there?
Maybe there are unlimited jobs? My friend who works at McDonald's says that they're always hiring.

A job that wouldn't displace people would be one only for teens, like a camp counselor. But I'm not getting paid for that this year, because I'm just a CIT.
RedAppleGP wrote:I don't think you need a job, but it'd be nice to have. My brother works at my grandfather's restaurant, and while he only gets 1/2 of minimum wage, but makes fat stacks in tips. Sure they're all ones, but still. Maybe a delivery guy is something in the market for you.

But seriously, you're still young, getting a job should be the last thing on your mind.

But if you're looking for a job, I mean, I can get you a job. My cousin? He needs a highly motivated self-starter with good.. putting bullets in people skills. One night, ten grand, no questions asked. Piece a cake!
Is it Trump? If Trump becomes President, and I get the money to go to the Inauguration, we might be in business... ;)
Kidding, NSA.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

If they're "always hiring", that probably means that they are understaffed, which means their business is suffering (the orders are slower, which means fewer customers, and some people might just go home to eat, and have something more healthy and likely with less meat). If you start working at an understaffed McDonalds, you increase their staff and make them more profitable and help them sell more burgers.

If the job is in higher demand and they're not always hiring, then you are displacing a worker who probably really needs the job.
EquALLity wrote: I'm trying to get enough money to buy a trip in January to the Presidential Inauguration... Are you surprised? :P
I'll likely either see the first woman President or the first maniac President. It'll be historic either way, and I think it'd be really amazing to be there.
How much will that cost? Are you flying? Consider the carbon footprint of flights made for entertainment purposes when watching it streaming online is probably going to be the same experience or even better. The inauguration will be so crowded, it's unlikely you'll be able to see anything the whole time; you'd probably just be outside watching it on a projected screen there, and you'll have trouble hearing since it will be loud unless you're near a speaker (you'll mostly just hear people chanting, screaming, and booing).

http://www.stltoday.com/suburban-journals/metro/news/high-school-student-attends-presidential-inauguration/article_abdf7b6f-1f9f-5f7d-9656-1a0c3729c1c3.html
When Barack Obama was inaugurated as the first African-American president of the United States Jan. 20, Skawinski was among the throngs of people crowded together to catch the proceedings.

From where he was standing far from the swearing-in ceremony, the Northwest High School freshman could not actually see Obama, the student explained.
Given the violence in this campaign, it wouldn't be inconceivable for a riot to actually happen there, and your safety may even be a serious concern. On those grounds alone, I would advise staying far away from D.C., particular if it's Trump.
EquALLity wrote:
RedAppleGP wrote:Well, it doesn't have to be a job, I mean, there has to be other things you can do. Instead of throwing your cans and plastic in the recycle, go down to your local supermarket and dispense them in the machines for 5 cents each. It may be a slow process, but I think it's worth it.
Isn't that not as good for the environment then? What do those machines do?

Anyway, that might help a tiny bit. I get that that can add up, but not enough to pay for this.
That's a good idea from Red. It's recycling. The machines collect it for recycling. The flight would be bad for the environment. ;)
If you were actually going to meet Hillary or Trump and be in the inner circle there, for sure that would be worth it. But you won't. You'll be standing outside by the Washington monument. Freezing cold. Watching it on a projection screen while people scream, or boo, or even riot.

You should spend your summer learning and building your portfolio. And maybe some volunteering: that will be much more fulfilling, free, and will benefit your future in a way that standing around in a huge crowd in D.C. in the cold watching a screen won't.

EquALLity wrote: Actually, I don't agree with that. I don't blame the workers for being in the business of handling animal products etc.. It's the consumers fault. If I don't take the job, someone else just would.
Unless they're chronically understaffed, which it sounds like they are if they hired your friend back that many times.
EquALLity wrote: I do think that certain jobs are unethical, like doing innovation for the oil industry (when you could just specialize in something else), because that's not something that can necessarily be replaced.
That's also the case here, if they're understaffed. Given they hired your friend back so many times, that's a safe bet.
EquALLity wrote:
RedAppleGP wrote:Well try finding a low-wage job that's not in high demand. I mean I can't think of any but there are bound to be one or two that you can do. Maybe I'll ship you 20 bucks.
How do I know if it's in high demand? o_O
A job that's not in high demand and also not unethical. ;)

If you can find a good one: one which will in itself be fulfilling, ethically sound (you're contributing something positive), and provide a good item for your resume, a summer job is a good idea.
McDonald's is not that job.

EquALLity wrote: Do you think I'm right about it displacing workers who need the job more? Is there nothing I'm missing there?
Maybe there are unlimited jobs? My friend who works at McDonald's says that they're always hiring.
Like I said at the start, it's one of those cases of it being a problem either way. If they're understaffed, you're helping them sell more burgers by working there. If the jobs there are in high demand and they're not understaffed, then you're probably displacing somebody who really needs a job if you get it.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

brimstoneSalad wrote:If they're "always hiring", that probably means that they are understaffed, which means their business is suffering (the orders are slower, which means fewer customers, and some people might just go home to eat, and have something more healthy and likely with less meat). If you start working at an understaffed McDonalds, you increase their staff and make them more profitable and help them sell more burgers.

If the job is in higher demand and they're not always hiring, then you are displacing a worker who probably really needs the job.
Aw. I guess I have to find a different job. Maybe I'll see if Mrs. Greens is hiring.
brimstoneSalad wrote:How much will that cost?
Over $3,000. It's not a big deal if I can get the money with a job, though.
brimstoneSalad wrote:Are you flying?
That's a good question. I don't know.
brimstoneSalad wrote:Consider the carbon footprint of flights made for entertainment purposes when watching it streaming online is probably going to be the same experience or even better. The inauguration will be so crowded, it's unlikely you'll be able to see anything the whole time; you'd probably just be outside watching it on a projected screen there, and you'll have trouble hearing since it will be loud unless you're near a speaker (you'll mostly just hear people chanting, screaming, and booing).
That's one person's experience, and he still seems happy to have gone.
brimstoneSalad wrote:Given the violence in this campaign, it wouldn't be inconceivable for a riot to actually happen there, and your safety may even be a serious concern. On those grounds alone, I would advise staying far away from D.C., particular if it's Trump.
I doubt it. Security would probably be very strong.
brimstoneSalad wrote:That's a good idea from Red. It's recycling. The machines collect it for recycling. The flight would be bad for the environment. ;)
If you were actually going to meet Hillary or Trump and be in the inner circle there, for sure that would be worth it. But you won't. You'll be standing outside by the Washington monument. Freezing cold. Watching it on a projection screen while people scream, or boo, or even riot.
I know I won't meet them, but seeing it happen in person is so different from seeing it on TV. It's like the difference between watching a sports game on TV and actually going to a stadium, except it's a historic moment and it actually matters. :P

And I'd get to see the Washington monument too, I didn't even think of that. I mean, I'd see the White House etc. in person. That'd be such a great experience. It's really not the same as seeing a video.

I don't care at all about the weather. I'll bring a coat or something.
brimstoneSalad wrote:You should spend your summer learning and building your portfolio. And maybe some volunteering: that will be much more fulfilling, free, and will benefit your future in a way that standing around in a huge crowd in D.C. in the cold watching a screen won't.
Yeah, I'll do volunteer work too. That'd be great. But it's not like I can't do both.
brimstoneSalad wrote:If you can find a good one: one which will in itself be fulfilling, ethically sound (you're contributing something positive), and provide a good item for your resume, a summer job is a good idea.
What jobs are that great that I can do? My options are really limited here.

I like Mrs. Greens, so maybe I'll see if they're hiring. It's a pretty pro-veg store, though it does sell homeopathic stuff.
But then, I'd be displacing someone, right? >.<

What else is there?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

EquALLity wrote: Over $3,000. It's not a big deal if I can get the money with a job, though.
Why is it costing so much? What's the cost breakdown?

That's an enormous waste of money. You could go see the great wall of China for that.
I don't think it's good to spend that much on personal experiences, though. Think of how many people and animals that kind of money could help. In terms of personal uses, you could use that as a down payment on an electric car.

Sure, we need a little entertainment, but it's possible to be frugal and practical about it, and recognize that some forms of entertainment are not a good value proposition.

You could go to D.C. for like $500 total another time. And do it for a real purpose where your presence will make a real difference, like attending an animal rights conference.
EquALLity wrote: That's one person's experience, and he still seems happy to have gone.
It sounds like he won the trip or something.
You'd have to spend all summer to earn that money, and that has a serious opportunity cost.
EquALLity wrote: I doubt it. Security would probably be very strong.
The area you would be, like him, would be outside secret service protection. People would have guns. The police would try to suppress a riot, but that's not a sure thing. You've seen how competent the police have been so far at suppressing violence at the rallies.
EquALLity wrote: I know I won't meet them, but seeing it happen in person is so different from seeing it on TV. It's like the difference between watching a sports game on TV and actually going to a stadium
I don't understand that either, but in a stadium at least you can kind of see the thing. It's more of an emotional/sentimental thing. If you think about it critically, it doesn't matter where you are when it happens, you're just as much witnessing history on one screen or another.
EquALLity wrote: , except it's a historic moment and it actually matters. :P
It doesn't matter that you're there. You could save a lot more lives this summer by not going: and those are lives that really do count on you.
Your being there or not will change nothing for the world. It will just be a personal experience which will fade quickly into memory.
EquALLity wrote: And I'd get to see the Washington monument too, I didn't even think of that. I mean, I'd see the White House etc. in person. That'd be such a great experience. It's really not the same as seeing a video.
I'm sure you'll go to D.C. many times in your life. This seems like a big deal now, I know, but try to keep it in perspective.
Save up to go to a climate or AR conference or something else that will hold more meaning and significance to YOUR presence, and where YOU can really make a difference.

Going to this is really no different than spending 3k on a super bowl ticket. Your presence doesn't mean anything, so it's superficial.
EquALLity wrote: Yeah, I'll do volunteer work too. That'd be great. But it's not like I can't do both.
It does mean that, though. It's going to take you most of the summer to earn that money. There's an opportunity cost to your time. Less studying, less learning, less volunteering. You'll be tired from work, and you won't have the time or energy to do much else.

Unless you're on speed, which I do not recommend. ;)
EquALLity wrote: What jobs are that great that I can do? My options are really limited here.
NEXT summer you'll make money doing something more meaningful which will give you experience. Wait until then. Use this summer to build up your skills and knowledge and volunteer. Don't waste your time earning 3k from a useless job, only to waste that 3k on a superficial experience of watching it on a screen outside in another place. Do something meaningful with your time.
EquALLity wrote:I like Mrs. Greens, so maybe I'll see if they're hiring. It's a pretty pro-veg store, though it does sell homeopathic stuff.
But then, I'd be displacing someone, right? >.<
You would.
EquALLity wrote:What else is there?
Study and volunteer. That's meaningful.
You won't regret not going to this. It's not worth the cost and it won't help you, anybody else, or the world that you go to it.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Honestly, after hearing what you want the money for, my best advice is to just not bother. Even if I did care about the presidential election, I wouldn't recommend wasting the time, money, and energy just to go to something that you can watch in the comfort of your own home. I don't think seeing it in person is really worth it, since you're probably not going to see the president anyways. You have to think through your implications, rather than just wanting to go on it because you think it interests you. Trust me, it's not all that big of a deal. You may think it is, because you're still a teenager, but you'll get more experience when you're older.

Plus, you're not even old enough to work at McDolans.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Like Red said, I'll build upon that:

I know it may seem like this is a historic first, and a once in a lifetime thing... BUT historic firsts happen every day, and everyday things happen that are once in a lifetime. Every presidential election is unique. Some day we'll have our first Jewish president, our first openly gay president, our first vegan president. And every day something way more amazing than a U.S presidential election is happening somewhere that you're missing out on.

You come to realize that witnessing these things first hand isn't all it's cracked up to be (and you wouldn't even be doing that). What's important is actually HAVING a hand in it.
If you spend 6 hours a day at a job, that's 6 hours you can't be calling people for Hillary to make sure Trump doesn't win, for example.

The only thing you'd regret is wasting the time in a menial job that isn't building your experience or making a difference in the world. I would never recommend that unless you really need to. You're at a point in your life where you can focus on studying and improving your skills, you should do that while you can, and while you have a choice.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Yeah, brimstone's right. You should start thinking about what you should do now. I mean, I have no fucking clue what I want to do, but I do want to take some part in doing digital art and voice acting. But you should think now. My brother didn't think of what he wanted to be, and just chose to be an engineer, just because my dad is an engineer. I'm pretty sure he'll turn out fine, but I do feel a bit bad for him, since he probably chose a job that didn't interest him, and he'll probably be stuck doing it for the rest of his life. But I'm pretty sure he'll get through it okay. I hope. He did chosse to be one about a year ago, so maybe it was something he wanted to do. But, choose something that you know you can handle. Don't say you want to get a Doctorates in biomedical hypertronics and a Masters in cryogenic sequencing and thermyte plasmatics, because you got to understand these things are harder than they sound.

Bottom line: Start thinking about what you want to do now, and get working on it.

Edit: Instead of seeing the inauguration, I think you should go to a state you won't go to many times in your life to see a national landmark or something. For instance, Mount Rushmore. In a photograph or a video, it only seems moderately large. But trust me, you can't even imagine how big it is. When I first saw it I was like "Holy shit!". It truly is breathtaking. That's the kinda shit you gotta see in person. On the TV you can make out how Trump and Hilary would look if they were in your presence, so it's nothing much to get excited about. But Rushmore is something you gotta experience for yourself.

I haven't been there personally, even though really I want to, you can go see the Grand Canyon. I heard it's one of the greatest sights you'll ever see.

But this summer, I really want to go see some Museums. My mom said that we can go to the Museum of Natural History (I've been there a few times, but I love going there), and we can also go to the Museum of Modern Art. My dad said that he may want to go to the Smithsonian Museum with me, but it's about a 4 hour train ride from there, and another 4 hours back, so we're not sure if we want to sit on a train for 8 hours.

But anyways, that's the kind of shit you should go see if you're looking to go places.
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Ok, you guys have convinced me. I could have made hundreds of calls for Hillary Clinton in the hours I'd spend working (though I'm going to wait until she's officially the nominee to make calls for her), plus I don't want to displace any workers.
brimstoneSalad wrote:NEXT summer you'll make money doing something more meaningful which will give you experience. Wait until then. Use this summer to build up your skills and knowledge and volunteer. Don't waste your time earning 3k from a useless job, only to waste that 3k on a superficial experience of watching it on a screen outside in another place. Do something meaningful with your time.
Why would I have to wait until next summer?
RedAppleGP wrote:Trust me, it's not all that big of a deal. You may think it is, because you're still a teenager, but you'll get more experience when you're older.
You know, I'm older than you. :P
It's annoying enough being patronized by adults, now people who are younger than me as well? :lol: