A Job?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Re: A Job?

Post by EquALLity »

RedAppleGP wrote:Which?
All of them. :)
RedAppleGP wrote:It's not just misleading, they're just wording it so it can make you feel as though you have full control, so they can make more dough off of you. I guess that is kinda the definition of misleading..
I agree, it's pretty slimy.
brimstoneSalad wrote:You can write your representatives any time, and make a much bigger impact at a local level.
Which I do also, btw. I actually had a conversation over the phone once with my State Assemblymember. It's great how much influence you can have on local politicians with bills that have larger ramifications. Local politicians are a lot more likely to get in contact with you directly than a federal politician. And the federal politicians are mostly bought anyway, so what you say won't make much of a difference even if you could speak with them.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Hey, EquALLity, how's the counseling job going?
I was actually a camp counselor for July, and I got like 72 community service hours for it.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

RedAppleGP wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:10 pm Hey, EquALLity, how's the counseling job going?
I was actually a camp counselor for July, and I got like 72 community service hours for it.
Oh hah, I couldn't do it this year because I had an internship in July. What did you think?
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

EquALLity wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:27 pmOh hah, I couldn't do it this year because I had an internship in July. What did you think?
It was very enjoyable, even though I occasionally got headaches. I was counseling mostly young kids, and most really liked to be around me which I guess made me look like a pedophile. Oh well.
It does feel good to do something useful for once, though. A few kids were crying when they first had to go, but after watching over them, they always were eager to go. I guess that's just how I am around kids in a non-sexual way. I'm not like Vegan Gains who's willing to commit infanticide, so I don't really mind kids, even if they get obnoxious (hey, I was (and still am) obnoxious, so I guess I built up an immunity), and it does my heart good to make some kids happy. I also landed a job at my grandpappy's restaurant, and while the job is fun, and I get paid very well, and all of the waitresses and cooks like me, I'm not too proud of it, since it doesn't really build up my experience, but mostly because it contributes to animal cruelty, and that's always gonna me irking me for the time that I am working this job. Oh yeah, question, is it okay for me to eat the leftover meat on plates that people didn't finish?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pmOh yeah, question, is it okay for me to eat the leftover meat on plates that people didn't finish?
Yes and no. It is probably freegan/meagan, but it's also good to cultivate a sense of disgust for meat. It's a question of what helps prevent recidivism more. Personally I'd save any food that looks good and take it to give to homeless people (ideally indirectly give, like set the to-go box full of food on top of a trash can near a bunch of homeless people with a label that says leftovers and the date of that day on it... maybe ask one of them what you should write on it).
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

RedAppleGP wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm
EquALLity wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:27 pmOh hah, I couldn't do it this year because I had an internship in July. What did you think?
It was very enjoyable, even though I occasionally got headaches. I was counseling mostly young kids, and most really liked to be around me which I guess made me look like a pedophile. Oh well.
It does feel good to do something useful for once, though. A few kids were crying when they first had to go, but after watching over them, they always were eager to go. I guess that's just how I am around kids in a non-sexual way. I'm not like Vegan Gains who's willing to commit infanticide, so I don't really mind kids, even if they get obnoxious (hey, I was (and still am) obnoxious, so I guess I built up an immunity), and it does my heart good to make some kids happy. I also landed a job at my grandpappy's restaurant, and while the job is fun, and I get paid very well, and all of the waitresses and cooks like me, I'm not too proud of it, since it doesn't really build up my experience, but mostly because it contributes to animal cruelty, and that's always gonna me irking me for the time that I am working this job. Oh yeah, question, is it okay for me to eat the leftover meat on plates that people didn't finish?
Lol. I was counseling young kids too (toddlers). Some of them were so adorable that I miss it. :/

You working their has no impact on the animals being killed or not killed. You aren't a consumer, you are a worker. If you didn't work there, someone else would be hired. It is completely up to the consumer what they purchase.
Yes, I think it's moral to consume meat that would go to waste anyway. You are not increasing the demand for meat, so it isn't hurting any animals. The food would go to waste anyway, although I guess giving it away would be more moral... but maybe you aren't always in the position where you can do that. So yeah, I think it's fine morally. It's not good for your health, but that's a different issue.
Disgust... ehhh... not really a big deal IMO if you have a strong moral compass... you've been vegan a long time, so clearly you have the willpower.