A Job?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: A Job?

Post by miniboes »

I'm posting this here, because it's a very similar question. Sorry if it interrupts your discussion, EquALLity.

A Dutch Campaign office has an 'academy' for young talented people interested in (political) campaigns to learn about campaigns in eight weekends. Right now, they have a spot open. The group of 25 will travel to the US this october in order to study the presidential campaigns. I am considering applying. I have 4 days, and my application must include among other things a sketch of the ideal world in 2037.

Pro's
- Educative experience relevant to my future expertise;
- Networking;
- Looks good on my résumé.

Cons
- Emissions from plane flight;
- Having to take a month off university.

Should I apply?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Is it free? If not, how much does it cost?
miniboes wrote: - Emissions from plane flight;
If it's free and there are limited spots, you're just taking somebody else's seat.
That's probably fine.

You can probably catch up on your university work.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Is it free? If not, how much does it cost?
It would cost €1250/$1400. That includes the flight, stay, transport and food. I can pay it in terms, which means I can pay it off of my student loan (which has a very low interest rate).
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote: It would cost €1250/$1400.
In that case, I would advise against it.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

I just got an email from that program that's doing the trip:
Email wrote:The 2017 Showcase, themed Impact the Present, Envision the Future, is a unique opportunity to collaborate with fellow Summit Scholars to discover and agree on modern solutions to real-world issues that the next president and your generation will face. But we aren’t stopping there...

We’re taking your ideas all the way to the top!

Solutions will be presented by scholars at the Summit, in a gallery-walk-style display. There will be an opportunity to pitch, present, vote, and win. The most compelling presentations will be compiled in an authored youth POV (point of view) position paper, which will be formally delivered to the new President, Speaker of the House, and Library of Congress, ensuring that the youth voice will be heard.

Don’t miss your chance to not only witness history, but to play a role in shaping your future!
So there actually is an element of making a difference. However, it's probably not likely I'd win given the amount of students attending... Hm.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
inator

Post by inator »

miniboes wrote:Should I apply?
Why not apply for a traineeship in the European Parliament instead (I think the Commission only takes graduates), for example in the ENVI or ITRE committee? Looks great on the resume, it's a good learning experience, you make a lot of important connections, and you also get payed a bit as an undergrad.
An internship in your national parliament or directly for an MP would also be good if they take undergraduates.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

EquALLity wrote: So there actually is an element of making a difference.
It sounds like an advertising gimmick. The president and Congress get piles of stuff like this all of the time, and your voice would only be a minuscule part of the letter (if it doesn't get voted out or overrun by others, "collaborate with fellow Summit Scholars to discover and agree on").
You also wouldn't be able to tell them anything they haven't heard before and rejected, even if your ideas made it in.
You can write your representatives any time, and make a much bigger impact at a local level.
EquALLity wrote:However, it's probably not likely I'd win given the amount of students attending... Hm.
That, and any ideas everybody doesn't already know about and agree on would be voted down.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Yeah, judging by the way that email was worded, I would sense some form of someone trying to sell me something.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

^Yeah, good points.

Of course, they are trying to sell something, and there's nothing wrong with that. But the substance is a bit misleading.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

EquALLity wrote:^Yeah, good points.
Which?
EquALLity wrote: Of course, they are trying to sell something, and there's nothing wrong with that. But the substance is a bit misleading.
It's not just misleading, they're just wording it so it can make you feel as though you have full control, so they can make more dough off of you. I guess that is kinda the definition of misleading..
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci