Lab-Grown "Real Cheese" made w/o Milk?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Diet: Vegan

Lab-Grown "Real Cheese" made w/o Milk?

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Anyone else see this article. Thoughts?

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/15/fake-real-cheese/

One thing regarding the actual article is... is it possible for bloggers/writers/journalists to make comments regarding veganism or vegan food without making critical comments? Is it some kind of necessity to ridicule?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Twizelby

Re: Lab-Grown "Real Cheese" made w/o Milk?

Post by Twizelby »

I don't know. I would rather we didn't have to. but lets face it we are vastly outnumbered. It is based on animal products so it required an animal. But if it becomes a cheap alternative that gets put on mass produced cheese pizza then hell yea! that's far far fewer dairy cattle raised in crappy conditions then veganism will achieve in several generations.
bobo0100

Post by bobo0100 »

It's the sort of thing I would advocate without using.
vegan: to exclude—as far as is practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for any purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.
Shadow Fox

Post by Shadow Fox »

I like all kinds of cheese. I would have to taste it first to tell you what I think of it.
We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic dream world of theism.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Ah, finally!

This is what I suggested here last month: http://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=7&t=136

I was going to look into this some more after we finish up with the vitamin stuff (which will be a while).
Looks like these guys beat me to it- which is great!

They're trying to get the yeast to produce casein. And from human genes- clever.
Nobody can argue that willingly donated genetic material isn't vegan.
Twizelby wrote:It is based on animal products so it required an animal.
Sounds like they're using the human casein gene sequences. Yes, a kind of animal, but one not typically exploited. And they excused it to the mainstream by saying it would produce fewer allergies, clever.

This would be vegan.
bobo0100 wrote:It's the sort of thing I would advocate without using.
Why not use it?

I wouldn't eat much of it, since casein can cause constipation and isn't good for adults in large amounts, but this is something I'd gladly eat while out if it were being widely used.
At home, I'd still make nut cheeses, because they're healthier.

Also: Now vegan condoms will be able to contain this casein derivative, and be a lot cheaper :) Maybe all condoms will be vegan soon if this works out. Among MANY other applications of casein.