Insects are conscious

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Unknownfromheaven
Diet: Vegetarian

Insects are conscious

Post by Unknownfromheaven »

http://www.sciencealert.com/insects-are ... -new-study

So....i think i did the right thing not killing insects.
All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force..We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.” ~ Max Planck - Quantum Theory and Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Insects are conscious

Post by brimstoneSalad »

This article is better:
http://news.discovery.com/animals/insects/insects-have-consciousness-self-awareness-and-egos-160418.htm#

Consciousness is an ill defined term, and I prefer not to use it, but research like this may help change that if we start to define consciousness as environmental modeling.
I prefer to talk about sentience, and having interests: which insects do not necessarily have just because they model the environment.

Computer "AI" is a good field to explore to understand the difference.
A computer can be programmed to map the environment, and to allocate more sensory and processing resources to things that move, or that are near-by. However, that does not mean that it learns or that it has interests: for that to be true, we have to look at behavioral responses.
Unknownfromheaven
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Unknownfromheaven »

Does a bug has interest in its behaviour to survive ? I watch them closely...they stink of fear...and i really understand why, this was a main reason not to kill or hurt them.

I did made friends with some green bugs we have here (known for the smell they release when confronting menace) and had no problems...the bug came to me and i did comforted it several times...my wife thought that i lost my mind...i could only assume how others would laugh at me for this simple action.
All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force..We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.” ~ Max Planck - Quantum Theory and Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Unknownfromheaven wrote:Does a bug has interest in its behaviour to survive ?
It depends. Larger insects do. Very small ones probably do not have enough nerve cells to be intelligent, so do not strictly have interests. The size cut off, however, is not clear.