anonymous free speech

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Twizelby
Diet: Vegan

anonymous free speech

Post by Twizelby »

Places of anonymous free speech on the internet are rapidly disappearing. This is likely being done to encourage civil exchange between parties. What do you think about that? Are places of anonymous free speech valuable or do they simply to much trouble because of internet trolls? I personally like places where you can remain anonymous trolls and all.
Twizelby

Re: anonymous free speech

Post by Twizelby »

Twizelby wrote:Places of anonymous free speech on the internet are rapidly disappearing. This is likely being done to encourage civil exchange between parties. What do you think about that? Are places of anonymous free speech valuable or do they simply make to much trouble because of internet trolls? I personally like places where you can remain anonymous, trolls and all.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Twizelby wrote:This is likely being done to encourage civil exchange between parties. What do you think about that?
There are better ways to encourage civil exchange. People don't behave much better when their names are attached to accounts.
They do when they have something immediate to lose, though- points, or whatever. The trouble with point based systems is that they apply uneven pressure against minority opinions (even the civil ones). There are potential fixes for this, though, and I think that's what people should be focusing on.
Twizelby wrote:Are places of anonymous free speech valuable or do they simply to much trouble because of internet trolls? I personally like places where you can remain anonymous trolls and all.
You can't get rid of trolls by making them give their real names. There are IRL trolls and bullies too.

Anonymity it too important for free speech, to protect people from political or violent backlash for civil opinions. I don't think the minor reduction in trolling justifies taking away anonymity.
Taman Shud

Post by Taman Shud »

brimstoneSalad wrote:You can't get rid of trolls by making them give their real names. There are IRL trolls and bullies too.
Too bad there hasn't been a study of something like this. I have no data to back-up any claim I make, but I do find that anonymous trolls fit a wide variety of people. Being anonymous gives you the courage to act like an asshole as there are very little consequences involved. So, if you spend a day being bullied, it might be appealing to be a troll as you could say the things you want to say to your bullies without the fear of retaliation. You could also be a very nice person IRL but hold some dark thoughts and opinions that you can get out being anonymous. These are just two examples of what lies behind a troll. People can be very complex, unpredictable and surprising. Trying to pigeon hole what a Troll is, is not easy.