Human doctors get the better end of the deal for less work..

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Neptual
Diet: Vegan

Human doctors get the better end of the deal for less work..

Post by Neptual »

In the Big Bang Theory (TV show) Sheldon often mocks geology for not being a real science. In reality in the veterinarian field we (not really me yet still trying to find my masters degree in computer sciences but plan on doing it later) don't really consider human doctors to have hard jobs and think that they get the easier taste of the cake. Here's why:

1. Doctors study for a long time but it's harder to get into a veterinarian school and to maintain a status there.

2. Non-human animals are far more complex to deal with medically.

3. Spend 12 years in school to forget it all later and spend a crap ton of money to do it too.

Those are my main reasons I got some other small reasons but listing them all would be too long.

If anyone would like to refute my reasons feel free to do so.
She's beautiful...
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Re: Human doctors get the better end of the deal for less wo

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

I entirely unfamiliar with what it takes to be a doctor or veterinarian, so please be patient with me.
1) why is it harder to get into a veterinarian school and maintain a status there?
2) how are non-human animals far more complex (besides not being able to communicate their symptoms)?
3) are you suggesting veterinarians don't forget anything they study, and use every bit of their schooling regularly?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:I entirely unfamiliar with what it takes to be a doctor or veterinarian, so please be patient with me.
1) why is it harder to get into a veterinarian school and maintain a status there?
It's harder to get into veterinarian school because in America there are only 23 (wow).
TheVeganAtheist wrote: 2) how are non-human animals far more complex (besides not being able to communicate their symptoms)?
Oops typo. What I meant was that they have a far more complex job with animals. Since not every animal is the same depending on what kind of veterinarian you are, you could be dealing with llamas and lions or cats and dogs.
TheVeganAtheist wrote: 3) are you suggesting veterinarians don't forget anything they study, and use every bit of their schooling regularly?
No I'm suggesting that the 8 years of school compared to the 12 - 15 years is ridiculously long and that when I've talked to human doctors they say that it depends on which profession they have in the medical field, but most of the stuff that they've learned is almost never used (Perhaps it's different with your doctor, I don't know why it would and I'm going off of what my few doctor friends have told me so don't quote me on this).

The same goes for veterinarians but that's not the comparison I trying to make. I was trying to say that 12 - 15 years of school compared to 8 years is very long.
She's beautiful...
Taman Shud

Post by Taman Shud »

I'm by no means an expert in this field, you could say I almost know nothing, but 8 years to become a doctor didn't sound right and if you go by this website, it is significantly longer than 8 years.

I checked other websites and they all pretty much agree.

Though I will say that getting into a veterinarian school is very hard. My daughter looked into it and its requirements are insanely hard.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Taman Shud wrote:I'm by no means an expert in this field, you could say I almost know nothing, but 8 years to become a doctor didn't sound right and if you go by this website, it is significantly longer than 8 years.

I checked other websites and they all pretty much agree.

Though I will say that getting into a veterinarian school is very hard. My daughter looked into it and its requirements are insanely hard.
I didn't say 8 years to become a doctor I said 12 -15 years.

I said 8 years to become a veterinarian.
She's beautiful...
Taman Shud

Post by Taman Shud »

dan1073 wrote:I didn't say 8 years to become a doctor I said 12 -15 years.

I guess my reading comprehension, in the early morning, isn't very good.

Sorry for making a useless post.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Taman Shud wrote:
dan1073 wrote:I didn't say 8 years to become a doctor I said 12 -15 years.

I guess my reading comprehension, in the early morning, isn't very good.

Sorry for making a useless post.
It's okay no harm done :D
She's beautiful...
Kanade

Post by Kanade »

I am studying to become a veterinarian and i have work experience from domestic animals to livestock.

In my personal experience the requirements to become a veterinarian while they do not take as long as a doctor still requires one of the highest educations and learning things at the level of doctors. And veterinarians have to learn far more about anatomy because like you said they have to study the anatomy of a large list of animals. Having to perform on exotic animals is generally the most difficult because vets have little experience with them compared to domestic ones.

The quality and methods differ also. The quality of veterinarians who focus on domestic animals are generally much more professional where as veterinarians who focus on livestock are more crude. However none of these have the quality compared to what hospitals have and i think the euthanasia rate of animals would lower much significantly if veterinarians had better funds and tools.
“I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being.”
― Abraham Lincoln