Sleeping late.

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Quant_umm
Diet: Vegetarian

Sleeping late.

Post by Quant_umm »

A certain Mr Spellbinder fell asleep at 4:00 am today and woke up at 1:00 pm.
I am telling him that it is very bad for his health, as a teenager and in general.
Ive heard and been told that ruining your internal clock is super bad for you and can lead to things like heart disease.
I get sleeping a little later these days, as its our winter break, but 4 seems excessive.
Maybe im wrong though.
He values and trusts you guys, and so do I.
Any information to help us settle this qualm would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Sleeping late.

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

That gentleman has done his research and will attempt to sleep earlier unless socially obligated to do otherwise.
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

Wait, is this mom and son? xD

It appears that all-cause mortality increases for people who work night shifts, so it doesn't seem like a great idea to stay up late.. which sucks, because that's what I've been doing all my life :(
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

knot wrote: It appears that all-cause mortality increases for people who work night shifts, so it doesn't seem like a great idea to stay up late.. which sucks, because that's what I've been doing all my life :(
Controlling for what?
I suspect that's more correlation than anything particularly magical about the day time.

People who have night shifts may be more likely to eat more fast food/ not have family dinner (home cooked food being healthier than the average fast food).
It may also make socialization and friendship/family life more difficult in general, which are things that increase life expectancy if you have them.

Just get good black out curtains so you can sleep well during the day, and of course don't let it affect your social life or diet negatively.

Irregular sleeping patterns might be bad for you, but I suspect that's also linked to inadequate sleep, not so much the irregularity of the sleep. When you sleep irregularly, you need more sleep than average, and most people who sleep at irregular times are going to have less sleep (or average sleep, which is not adequate for irregular hours), and otherwise may be more likely to be stressed (leading to the irregular sleep schedule).

Look at the way cats and dogs sleep: napping throughout the day, highly irregular and ready to wake up at a moment's notice, but with enough quantity of sleep to make up for it.

I don't think there's enough clinical study on these subjects to make strong claims on them.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

knot wrote:Wait, is this mom and son? xD
Nope! Friend and friend, sorry!
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

Nevermind, the study I found didn't control for anything

Probably just has to do with what kind of people choose to work night shifts then

That kinda makes me want to work more night shifts
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

knot wrote: That kinda makes me want to work more night shifts
More peaceful, often more per hour. I'd go for it.
Unknownfromheaven
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Unknownfromheaven »

I am 30 years old, Since i was a child i would always love the night and the silence.
i think its a matter of habbit, how the brain is used with...i seldom sleep at night especially since i am self employed. Sure, i can realise that a day has its beauty but i would trade it anytime for the night...there is nothing that can compare with a view on the milky way and the stars...my fellow astronomers are also night owls..so i think it really depends on the person. Since i am not unhealthy and have no problems i take that part as myth not fact.
All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force..We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.” ~ Max Planck - Quantum Theory and Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Everyone has a different circadian rhythm. Most people are "programmed" by their body to be sleepy when it is dark, and awake when it is light. It is bad to fight your natural rhythm, but some people are the opposite. (Myself included) I was forced to be a day person for years due to my career, but as soon as I became self-employed, I quickly switched back to being a night-owl. Those like me have more energy and feel more awake when they don't fight their bodies sleep requirements.

Now if he is fighting his natural sleep urge to stay up and pursue a hobby, (internet, gaming, naught stuff, etc.), they yes, that is unhealthy. It can have long-term negative effects.