Gun Ownership

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
ThunderXray
Diet: Vegan

Gun Ownership

Post by ThunderXray »

What is your opinion on Gun ownership? I personally believe you should only be allowed to have a gun if You are a trained professional or you are licensed and have had a background.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Gun Ownership

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Unfortunately, there are a lot of loopholes in the U.S.A. that avoid background checks, like buying guns from gun shows; 'private sellers' don't need to get background checks on the purchaser in most states.

Closing those loopholes could do some good.

The constitution protects the right to bear arms, though, so any major changes in law would have to pass muster with the supreme court on that front.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

I don't think civilians should be allowed to own guns. If you want to shoot at a range, you should be licensed, and use the guns made available at the range. I see no reason why the average person should own such weapons.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:I don't think civilians should be allowed to own guns. If you want to shoot at a range, you should be licensed, and use the guns made available at the range. I see no reason why the average person should own such weapons.
While I haven't heard a valid reason to own a gun in your own house yet (when I ask, people usually answer with 'if a criminal breaks in, I can shoot him', which is the most unlikely scenario and an irrational fear), there are many reports of people who prevent robbery in shops thanks to guns.
The problem with banning guns is that it'd swell the black market and you wouldn't be able to get rid of all the guns that are already owned in the country.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

In Switzerland every male that was born there over the age of 18 has a gun and crime rate there is 0.5 to 100,000 people (less than one percent) while in America it's 5 to 100,000 people. In my opinion do whatever their doing, because their obviously doing it right.
She's beautiful...