Suicide Victims are Cowards?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Re: Suicide Victims are Cowards?

Post by Red »

Hey Chris, need some ice for these burns?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

Only if he was doing it to intentionally undermine your arguement. Otherwise, you would have also committed this fallacy. Someone else committing a fallacy does not give you the right to commit one too.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

RedAppleGP wrote:
RedAppleGP wrote:Hey Chris, need some ice for these burns?
:lol: :P
Cirion Spellbinder wrote:
Only if he was doing it to intentionally undermine your arguement. Otherwise, you would have also committed this fallacy.
An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attack on an argument made by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, rather than attacking the argument directly. When used inappropriately, it is a logical fallacy in which a claim or argument is dismissed on the basis of some irrelevant fact or supposition about the author or the person being criticized.[2] Ad hominem reasoning is not always fallacious, for example, when it relates to the credibility of statements of fact or when used in certain kinds of moral and practical reasoning.[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

You don't have to directly say, "You're wrong because (insult)" to be making an ad hominem.
It's an ad hominem if you dismiss another person's argument, and instead reply merely with an insult.

I'm not saying he was committing an ad hominem just because he insulted me; it's because he dismissed my argument and replaced a refutation with an insult.
Last edited by EquALLity on Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

EquALLity wrote:You don't have to directly say, "You're wrong because (insult)" to be making an ad hominem.
It's an ad hominem if you dismiss another person's argument, and instead reply merely with an insult
My mistake. Thank you for correcting me!
death_by_rage wrote:The first person I dealt with tried to blackmail me. My choice was stay in an abusive situation, or they would kill themself. I left anyways... They never committed suicide. They used the threat of suicide as a tool.

The second person I dealt with over suicide was making threats of suicide over the internet... I contacted their local police and they rushed to her home and got her parents involved... Long story short, she was doing it for attention, and got in serious trouble with her parents. She never apologized or thanked me
Do you consider your experiences to accurately reflect all or a majority of reality?

Consider this example: At this point in his life, our protagonist, Josh has only met two Christians. The first was in jail for shooting up an abortion clinic and the second he met was holding up a crude sign stating "GOD HATES FAGS". Josh, based on his experiences, then assumed that all Christians were either violent killers or homophobes.

Do you consider Josh's reasoning to be sound? Did his reasoning yield a correct answer?
Last edited by Cirion Spellbinder on Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

^Oh yeah, no problem! :P
death_by_rage

Post by death_by_rage »

Why are you even debating suicide then if you don't want others opinions? Just be blunt and go to the topic you truly desire. You vegans always turn every discussion into an attempt at guilt tripping non vegans into your way of thinking. The topic was asking if Suicide was Cowardly... I was giving my opinion. So the term "coward" was a reference to the topic + my opinion. So go get some more of the vegan super best friends to join your attack on me and twist this reply into another chance to try and make me feel guilty about being non vegan.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

I hope you're aware that this is a forum. Y'know, a place on the internet where people come to debate opinions?
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

death_by_rage wrote:Why are you even debating suicide then if you don't want others opinions? Just be blunt and go to the topic you truly desire. You vegans always turn every discussion into an attempt at guilt tripping non vegans into your way of thinking. The topic was asking if Suicide was Cowardly... I was giving my opinion. So the term "coward" was a reference to the topic + my opinion. So go get some more of the vegan super best friends to join your attack on me and twist this reply into another chance to try and make me feel guilty about being non vegan.
...Don't want others' opinions? I've been responding to your opinions. You're the one who won't address my points about them.

Guilt trip? Really?
"Stop telling me to not bully that kid and trying to make me feel guilty!!1"

And it's really just disgusting that you're encouraging people to kill themselves for considering certain selfish/cowardly actions. Talk about guilt tripping.

You're still not distinguishing between 'cowardly' and 'coward', and you're still not addressing my points.
And you say I won't discuss properly.

I'm bringing up meat-eating to point out your hypocrisy. It's valid in the context of this discussion.
Like I said, it's hypocritical for you to call suicidal people and suicide victims selfish when you're doing something much more selfish than committing suicide typically is.

And nobody has to twist around what you're saying. Your comments are repulsive enough on their own.
death_by_rage

Post by death_by_rage »

I get it now... See I was under the assumption that this was a forum.

But, after reading this definition... ("a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing."), I discovered what this place really is.

Spoiler alert: that's the definition for "cult"

And the "thing" that you have excessive admiration for would be veganism.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Ok, even if it is a "cult" what does it prove? I would identify as a cult member of "The Room", but is that a bad thing? No! Plus if that's the case, you're in the cult of meat eating, South Park, Pokemon, Surge, and other stuff. But those aren't cults because those have large fanbases! Of course! I feel like a moron.

Seriously dude, you're like an angry toddler stomping their feet because you lost a debate to someone younger than you.
-Leonardo da Vinci