Trey Parker Should Lay Off The Fatty Foods (and non-sequiturs)

Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
User avatar
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2185
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 pm

Trey Parker Should Lay Off The Fatty Foods (and non-sequiturs)

Post by Red » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:28 pm

This is in regards to what South Park co-creator, Trey Parker, said a while back regarding his stance on religion and any possible Gods/deities.
Trey Parker said not wrote:Basically… out of all the ridiculous religion stories which are greatly, wonderfully ridiculous—the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah… there's this big giant universe and it's expanding, it's all gonna collapse on itself and we're all just here just 'cause… just 'cause'. That, to me, is the most ridiculous explanation ever.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trey_Parker#Personal_life
What I've gathered from this is that there must be a God, because the explanation of "It all just happened" sounds ridiculous, therefore existentialism etc etc. Now of course, he said this way back in 2006, so he may have changed his stances, but, like with the Dillahunty situation, I don't know, and this also can regard other people who follow this way of thinking. Plus, he also said that it would take a long time to hear his whole view on religion, so let's be charitable and assume that his opinion is a lot more in depth, or he just misspoke during a live interview. So keep in mind, everything here is based off of this one piece of interview.

Now I do believe Parker is an intelligent person, but I feel that this is the dumbest thing he's ever said (and I have come to disagree with some of the things he and Stone have posited regarding presidential politics, but that's a different matter).
The problems I have with this are in great abundance, so here's a quick summary of what I find wrong with this in bullet points:
  • It's a non-sequitur, since just because there is a God doesn't mean there is meaning in life, and just because there isn't a God doesn't mean there isn't meaning in life. I'm not sure if there is an objective meaning in life, but there are secular existential philosophies that can be advocated to satisfy this dilemma.
  • It seems to be under the impression that humans were somehow destined to exist, and we must have some objective role in the universe (I think that this is just Parker's brain trying to find an existential justification for the existence of humanity).
  • Parker isn't a scientist or philosopher, and he's just assuming it's ridiculous without any justification. Why do you believe it to be ridiculous? Be open to the possibility that it might not be ridiculous until you've read up on the literature (I mean, I haven't (yet), but I'm not going around and calling things ridiculous without any particular reason (sometimes)).
  • How is it a religion? I mean, you can argue that it's faith based, but the mainstream consensus seems like the best explanation from an objective point of view from what we currently know (and you acknowledge this).
  • The universe, animals, and humans all came here from (if I'm not mistaken) a process of seemingly random events and mutations, and humans just so happen to evolve to a state where they can create existential issues like these. Again, I refer to Parker's mind trying to find reason.
*I'm not saying humanity is a bad or worthless thing, I do believe that humanity it fascinating, in how it can create so much, learn so much, and postulate so much, yet destroy so much, distort so much, and mislead so much, and I have a love/hate relationship with it and it's something that is constantly improving.

So those are my issues, anyone agree/disagree? Anything to add/remove?

BTW the topic title is a reference to a South Park episode if anyone was wondering about it (plus Parker is getting kinda fat).
Looks like he's dead already.

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 7847
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Re: Trey Parker Should Lay Off The Fatty Foods (and non-sequiturs)

Post by brimstoneSalad » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Trey Parker is terrible; look at the moral of Southpark: caring about things is lame. Let's all make fun of people who try to make a difference.

I don't think he's saying God exists, rather as some kind of avowed apathetic nihilist he's shitting on belief in anything whatsoever. That's my interpretation, anyway.
Just because he's making fun of Atheism doesn't mean he has any beliefs. or if he does, he's a pretty big hypocrite for making a career out of mocking anybody who values doing anything good in the world (the way he mocks environmentalism). Or maybe he's a complete anti-science nut who doesn't believe in climate change. I don't know much of his views beyond limited exposure to Southpark.

User avatar
PsYcHo
Master in Training
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:24 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: Trey Parker Should Lay Off The Fatty Foods (and non-sequiturs)

Post by PsYcHo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:30 pm

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:14 pm
Trey Parker is terrible; look at the moral of Southpark: caring about things is lame. Let's all make fun of people who try to make a difference.
I like that aspect about him, but I likely interpret it differently than you.

South Park mocks everyone and everything, even themselves. (In the episodes about "Family Guy", a character mentions how he likes the "Family Guy" show because it doesn't get "all preachy and up its own ass with messages", a direct reference to the direction "South Park" was going at the time.)

Seems to me they're trying to suggest "don't take yourself too seriously".
Red wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:28 pm
This is in regards to what South Park co-creator, Trey Parker, said a while back regarding his stance on religion and any possible Gods/deities.
Trey Parker said not wrote:Basically… out of all the ridiculous religion stories which are greatly, wonderfully ridiculous—the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah… there's this big giant universe and it's expanding, it's all gonna collapse on itself and we're all just here just 'cause… just 'cause'. That, to me, is the most ridiculous explanation ever.
What I've gathered from this is that there must be a God, because the explanation of "It all just happened" sounds ridiculous, therefore existentialism etc etc.
I tend to agree with Trey on this point, but it doesn't mean that there must be a god, especially not as defined by current theist. (Doesn't matter which religion; pick one and I disagree with them.)

At a certain level, science behaves almost like magic. I can't speak for Trey, but for me it seems quite possible that there are forces we can't even comprehend influencing the current dimension we occupy. Not a deity, by any means. Compared to less intelligent creatures, we are gods.

Agnostics (atheist or otherwise) get flak from both sides, but we try to maintain an open mind.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.

User avatar
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2185
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 pm

Re: Trey Parker Should Lay Off The Fatty Foods (and non-sequiturs)

Post by Red » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:33 pm

finally i didnt think anyone would respond
brimstoneSalad wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:14 pm
Trey Parker is terrible; look at the moral of Southpark: caring about things is lame. Let's all make fun of people who try to make a difference.
Yeah that's like 99% true. I've been watching South Park for over 10 years now, and there have been plenty of things they have said that rubbed me the wrong way. Like they make fun of philanthropists and activists like Al Gore, Bono, Sally Struthers, and a few others. They have this view where anyone who is trying to help is like this pretentious asshole, or something along those lines.

What do you think on their stance on not voting? I've come to disagree with it.
brimstoneSalad wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:14 pm
I don't think he's saying God exists, rather as some kind of avowed apathetic nihilist he's shitting on belief in anything whatsoever. That's my interpretation, anyway.
His wiki article claims that he said he 'believes in a God,' so I based my post off of that.
And honestly, that's sounds like me about a year ago, so I guess you can equate him to an angsty teenager ;).
brimstoneSalad wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:14 pm
Just because he's making fun of Atheism doesn't mean he has any beliefs. or if he does, he's a pretty big hypocrite for making a career out of mocking anybody who values doing anything good in the world (the way he mocks environmentalism). Or maybe he's a complete anti-science nut who doesn't believe in climate change. I don't know much of his views beyond limited exposure to Southpark.
South Park made an episode over 15 years ago, and they portrayed people who believe in Climate Change as these guys who hyponotise you into believing in climate change. Their opinions may have changed, but they haven't said it publicly, probably to save some face.
Speaking of which, you might have noticed that neither Parker nor Stone ever take a hard stance on issues, obviously to shield themselves from all criticism, which is the cowards way out, judging by their occupations.

You can ask me what the creators believe on certain things if you want, I've watched plenty of South Park to know.
Looks like he's dead already.

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 7847
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Re: Trey Parker Should Lay Off The Fatty Foods (and non-sequiturs)

Post by brimstoneSalad » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:18 pm

Red wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:33 pm
What do you think on their stance on not voting? I've come to disagree with it.
It's probably safe to assume I disagree with it, although I don't know what it is. It's usually a good idea to vote.
Red wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:33 pm
His wiki article claims that he said he 'believes in a God,' so I based my post off of that.
That's probably true, then. In that case you may be right, it's just hard to imagine what purpose he thinks people have since he insults anybody who aspires to do anything good. Maybe he thinks we're all just here to pleasure ourselves then die. That our "purpose" is just to have fun.

User avatar
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:08 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Re: Trey Parker Should Lay Off The Fatty Foods (and non-sequiturs)

Post by Jebus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Red wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:33 pm
brimstoneSalad wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:14 pm
Trey Parker is terrible; look at the moral of Southpark: caring about things is lame. Let's all make fun of people who try to make a difference.
Yeah that's like 99% true. I've been watching South Park for over 10 years now, and there have been plenty of things they have said that rubbed me the wrong way. Like they make fun of philanthropists and activists like Al Gore, Bono, Sally Struthers, and a few others. They have this view where anyone who is trying to help is like this pretentious asshole, or something along those lines.
Come on now. Their sole motivation is to make people laugh. I personally don't think the show is funny but obviously what they do works. You can't fault them for that.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.

User avatar
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2185
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 pm

Re: Trey Parker Should Lay Off The Fatty Foods (and non-sequiturs)

Post by Red » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:43 pm

Jebus wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:32 pm
Come on now. Their sole motivation is to make people laugh. I personally don't think the show is funny but obviously what they do works. You can't fault them for that.
That's true, but they actually have influence with a show that popular, so they still can be held accountable for what happens as a result, regardless of their intentions. Some people will let Stone and Parker do their thinking for them, so they probably have had a part in the results of last few elections, creating false equivalencies between the 2 candidates.

Now I agree with them that anything can be funny, if you have as much influence and popularity as them, it's a good idea to be careful of what comes out of your mouth.
Looks like he's dead already.

User avatar
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:08 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Re: Trey Parker Should Lay Off The Fatty Foods (and non-sequiturs)

Post by Jebus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:55 pm

Red wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:43 pm
it's a good idea to be careful of what comes out of your mouth.
If I were a successful comedian, I would worry about losing my mojo if I were too careful. They have already been criticized by so many different groups. I find it shocking, albeit probably true, that comedians (and comedic writers) could have voter influence. However, this is probably not something they desired when they started out and one can't expect them to change their winning recipe now that they have achieved that level of influence.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.

User avatar
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2185
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 pm

Re: Trey Parker Should Lay Off The Fatty Foods (and non-sequiturs)

Post by Red » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:00 pm

Jebus wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:55 pm
Red wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:43 pm
it's a good idea to be careful of what comes out of your mouth.
If I were a successful comedian, I would worry about losing my mojo if I were too careful. They have already been criticized by so many different groups. I find it shocking, albeit probably true, that comedians (and comedic writers) could have voter influence. However, this is probably not something they desired when they started out and one can't expect them to change their winning recipe now that they have achieved that level of influence.
That's why comedians gotta keep of top of their shit.
They should be funny and edgy, but not have a negative influence. It is a very fine line. George Carlin is a good counterexample, as he had his share of misanthropic statements, said he doesn't want to he part of humanity, believes things are getting worse, etc.

What do you believe South Park's winning recipe is?
Looks like he's dead already.

User avatar
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:08 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Re: Trey Parker Should Lay Off The Fatty Foods (and non-sequiturs)

Post by Jebus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:05 am

Red wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:00 pm
They should be funny and edgy, but not have a negative influence. It is a very fine line.


Isn't that a bit like a republican telling Bill Maher that he should stop joking about Trump and other republican politicians. I don't think Parker and Stone have an agenda but even if they did I don't think this is anything we could criticize them for. The only "fine line" in my opinion is whether it is funny or not. Sam Kinison joked about the African famine while millions were dying. Normally I would think this topic was inappropriate but since the bit was hilarious I applauded him rather than criticized him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMyb0vPtaj0
Red wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:00 pm
What do you believe South Park's winning recipe is?
I think that is a question for someone who actually likes the show. Perhaps it has/had a shock factor that people appreciate in this age of political correctness. Hell if I know.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest