French Presidential Election

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.

Who would you vote for President of France?

Benoit Hamon
33%
Marine Le Pen
No votes
Emmanuel Macron
33%
Jean-Luc Melenchon
No votes
Francois Fillon
No votes
Other (please state which)
33%

Total votes: 3

DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: French Presidential Election

Post by DarlBundren »

miniboes wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:08 am
brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:39 am
miniboes wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:28 am I'll add to NonZeroSum's description some key points of relevance to this forum; Macron sees sustainability as a great priority, wants to reform the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme (which in my view is not working very well at all) and he supports nuclear. Le Pen doesn't give a shit about sustainability and opposes nuclear.
I hope then, for all of our futures, he wins it.
Right. France is a beacon of hope for the environment; if they were to quit the EU and start closing nuclear plants we'd lose vital international cooperation and one of the best examples of decarbonization.
Carbonbrief wrote:Macron gives signs of supporting a gradual move away from nuclear. He says he will keep the Energy Transition Law target to reduce the share of nuclear energy to 50% by 2025, down from 75% today. Macron says he will take a strategic decisions on the extension of nuclear power beyond the next 40 years once the Nuclear Safety Authority (ASN) has delivered its conclusions, which is expected in 2018. He says he will confirm the closure of the controversial Fessenheim nuclear plant.
https://www.carbonbrief.org/french-election-2017-where-candidates-stand-energy-climate-change
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Post by miniboes »

DarlBundren wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:44 pm
Carbonbrief wrote:Macron gives signs of supporting a gradual move away from nuclear. He says he will keep the Energy Transition Law target to reduce the share of nuclear energy to 50% by 2025, down from 75% today. Macron says he will take a strategic decisions on the extension of nuclear power beyond the next 40 years once the Nuclear Safety Authority (ASN) has delivered its conclusions, which is expected in 2018. He says he will confirm the closure of the controversial Fessenheim nuclear plant.
https://www.carbonbrief.org/french-election-2017-where-candidates-stand-energy-climate-change
That's weird, I read otherwise elsewhere, although I don't remember where. If that's true, that's very worrying. It's not nearly as bad as Le Pen, though.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

miniboes wrote:That's weird, I read otherwise elsewhere, although I don't remember where. If that's true, that's very worrying. It's not nearly as bad as Le Pen, though.
I don't know. I was trying to gather some information myself and that's what I came across.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

DarlBundren wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:14 pm
miniboes wrote:That's weird, I read otherwise elsewhere, although I don't remember where. If that's true, that's very worrying. It's not nearly as bad as Le Pen, though.
I don't know. I was trying to gather some information myself and that's what I came across.
That's disappointing. Guess the results don't matter much.

At least if Le Pen gets it, like Trump, there may be a liberal reaction against her for the next term.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:40 pm
DarlBundren wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:14 pm
That's disappointing. Guess the results don't matter much.

At least if Le Pen gets it, like Trump, there may be a liberal reaction against her for the next term.

I don't agree with that. The EU, flawed as it is, is crucial for combating climate change. A Le Pen victory would likely mean that the EU crumbles further, even if France doesn't quit she'll make negotiations in the European Council very hard and veto lots of initiatives. Macron would attempt to strengthen and reform the EU, Le Pen would attempt to end it.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:50 am I don't agree with that. The EU, flawed as it is, is crucial for combating climate change. A Le Pen victory would likely mean that the EU crumbles further, even if France doesn't quit she'll make negotiations in the European Council very hard and veto lots of initiatives. Macron would attempt to strengthen and reform the EU, Le Pen would attempt to end it.
Good point.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

I couldn't find an English translation to this video but Macron is basically telling French animal rights activists that they are not the ones who should complain about animal suffering. The slaughter house people are the ones who should be given sympathy when an animal suffers and dies because they are with these animals every day and cry when they die. I don't even think Trump has ever said anything that stupid.

https://www.facebook.com/vegemag/videos/1820256951557377/
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.