OS X Yosemite and iOS 8 what do you think about them?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Neptual
Diet: Vegan

OS X Yosemite and iOS 8 what do you think about them?

Post by Neptual »

Apple just unveiled iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite, to those of you have macs/iphones this is important news to you. I as a mac user am VERY excited for OS X Yosemite. I mean just look at how beautiful this looks

A new look for iOS 8 as well

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/

For the whole conference go to this link - http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2014/

For those of you who do not know this is what the old desktop looks like here it is
olddesktop.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
She's beautiful...
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Re: OS X Yosemite and iOS 8 what do you think about them?

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

i watched the presentation live online. I think there are some really awesome improvements. A few that stand out to me as being useful:

1) answering incoming phone calls from my mac, and being able to call out from my mac
2) staring an email or text on my iphone/mac and then finishing int on my mac/iphone
3) widgets on iPhone and osx
4) new spotlight
5) being able to send larger files via email
6) integrated apple dropbox feature

I also really like the look of safari and the overall UI of the new OS
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:i watched the presentation live online. I think there are some really awesome improvements. A few that stand out to me as being useful:

1) answering incoming phone calls from my mac, and being able to call out from my mac
2) staring an email or text on my iphone/mac and then finishing int on my mac/iphone
4) new spotlight

Yea actually just renewed my apple developers account today and installing iOS 8 on my iPod right now, can't wait to test out these new features. This may encourage me to get the new iPhone when it comes out :D
She's beautiful...
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

dan1073 wrote:
TheVeganAtheist wrote:i watched the presentation live online. I think there are some really awesome improvements. A few that stand out to me as being useful:

4) new spotlight

Yea actually just renewed my apple developers account today and installing iOS 8 on my iPod right now, can't wait to test out these new features. This may encourage me to get the new iPhone when it comes out :D
Dan, where did you get that image on your first post? Those icons look wrong. If you look at gizmodo or engadget, the icons look different then the ones on the image you provided.
dock.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

The screenshot in the first post is indeed an incorrect one.

I think it's great that OS X and iOS are finally integrated with each other. Not sure if I like everything on OS X (yet), because it sometimes looks to much like an iPad-app (like Safari for example). But it's an interesting direction they take, like to see where it goes.

Spotlight really looks like Alfred now, which is a good thing.

I'm really curious whether I'm going to like the new programming language Swift. I weirdly enough absolutely liked Objective-C, but Swift really looks modern. Seems like they looked at some great languages like Ruby (also dynamic typed) and Scala (which also lets you define fixed values vs. variables). I hope it will not take long before I master Swift like I do with Objective-C.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Volenta wrote:The screenshot in the first post is indeed an incorrect one.

I think it's great that OS X and iOS are finally integrated with each other. Not sure if I like everything on OS X (yet), because it sometimes looks to much like an iPad-app (like Safari for example). But it's an interesting direction they take, like to see where it goes.

Spotlight really looks like Alfred now, which is a good thing.

I'm really curious whether I'm going to like the new programming language Swift. I weirdly enough absolutely liked Objective-C, but Swift really looks modern. Seems like they looked at some great languages like Ruby (also dynamic typed) and Scala (which also lets you define fixed values vs. variables). I hope it will not take long before I master Swift like I do with Objective-C.
My bad I've changed it now, also I'm excited for the new language too. Since I have a developers account I'm going to be exploring it quite soon.
She's beautiful...
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

I just finished installing the OS X and I love it!
Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 6.51.02 PM.png
She's beautiful...
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

That's what I would call a small screen. What Mac do you have?

I'm going to wait with installing it, because of third party apps compatibility.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Volenta wrote:That's what I would call a small screen. What Mac do you have?

I'm going to wait with installing it, because of third party apps compatibility.
I'm using my Macbook 2010 edition. I usually am on my iMac but how could you tell the difference?
She's beautiful...
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

dan1073 wrote:
Volenta wrote:That's what I would call a small screen. What Mac do you have?

I'm using my Macbook 2010 edition. I usually am on my iMac but how could you tell the difference?
What do you mean? The screenshot is 1280x800, so it's quite obvious, right?

I myself also have an iMac, and a MacBook Pro retina.

So, how are you enjoying it so far? Or did you turn back to Mavericks?