The Life of Peter the Parrot (Blue Amazon)

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Neptual
Diet: Vegan

The Life of Peter the Parrot (Blue Amazon)

Post by Neptual »

A member of this community (brimstoneSalad) would like to hear the story of a parrot that I took care of for some time and then eventually released into it's natural habitat.

I remember the day that I first saw him. He flew up unto my perch and immediately started screaming, he looked aggregated, and scared. I was able to get him down and lure him inside my house (which wasn't easy by the way he was a fighter :P). I took a picture of him and posted flyers of a missing parrot around my area, about a month had passed by and no phone calls. I took him to a vet and he had a broken leg which I hadn't noticed until I realized why he wouldn't stand up properly. I followed the vet's instruction and nurtured and cared for him until his leg was healed. Between those periods of time Peter and I grew a very special bond, I often let him out of his cage to let him roam around the house and loved it. 2 months after his leg was healed I decided it's time for him to go home. Little did I know about his species I did extensive research about their habitats and where they lived. I had bought a plane ticket out to Brazil and found my way to a place that I thought was safe and suitable for a parrot while on a hike through the Amazon. I told him one last good bye and left him go.

EDIT I know my location says New York but this was when I spent 6 months in Louisiana
Last edited by Neptual on Fri May 30, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She's beautiful...
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: The Life of Peter the Parrot (Blue Amazon)

Post by brimstoneSalad »

You went all of the way to Brazil to take the parrot home?
Or were you closer to Brazil at the time?

What happened with customs? It's usually not possible to transport exotic animals. How did you manage it?

I'm sure you took a lot of pictures. Can you share some?

Weren't you concerned about him being able to fend for himself, since he might have been captive all of his life?
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

brimstoneSalad wrote:You went all of the way to Brazil to take the parrot home?
Or were you closer to Brazil at the time?

What happened with customs? It's usually not possible to transport exotic animals. How did you manage it?

I'm sure you took a lot of pictures. Can you share some?

Weren't you concerned about him being able to fend for himself, since he might have been captive all of his life?
At the time I was spending some time in Louisiana so I guess you could say I was "close". Going through customs wasn't a problem since as of June 2012 I only need a health certificate of him (source
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/v ... azil.shtml). When I'm able to find the pictures I'm sure I'll spend sometime in sharing them here but since it's finals that'll be hard to accomplish at this time.

My concern for having him be able to fend for himself wasn't really approaching itself as a problem to me. When I had him in captivity he seemed to be able to fight for himself plus I allowed him to fly around and he was able to come back in piece. Even though Louisiana isn't the Amazon forest there's still a lot of nasty stuff out there :/
She's beautiful...
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

Interesting story.
I had two parrots aswell, when I was a kid (Rama and Sita). I found the first in a funfair. We paid (me and my mother) to have him, I couldn't see him living in a cage.
After a while we found him a partner, but we soon felt guilty about keeping them in cages. Yes, they were bigger cages and they had a considerable space to move, but the fact that we were holding them against their will to fly away.. I felt I was doing something wrong.
So we finally decided to let them free.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

great story. Thanks for sharing
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics