What place would you like to live in?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
knot
Master in Training

Re: What place would you like to live in?

Post by knot »

Isaac wrote:Where would you live given the option?

I w ould probably say Germany, Norway, or Sweden. They sound like they have amazing politics and great quality of life which I'm all for! I would also like to be able to have more freedom of expression, which those societies offer!
Priceless :lol:

Personally I'd move to Japan if their immigration policy wasn't so extremely stringent.
Next priority would be Australia, but I'm not a big fan of all their deadly animals :D
eddapugal876

Post by eddapugal876 »

I would like to live in place like Korea.Because i have watches so many Korean drama's and got inspired with the place .
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Post by Jebus »

miniboes wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:37 am
brimstoneSalad wrote:Why do people want to live in the good, liberal countries?

I'd like to live in the middle-east, a second world Islamic country.

I have to ask, where would I be most likely to do the most good?
Of course, I would also be most likely to be executed there...
I know this is an old topic, but I don't think you're right on this one. Sure, you may be able to do more good through direct advocacy there, but in a rich country you can do much more by earning to give (paying dozens of people to do the direct aid that you would otherwise do) and advocating for important causes such as climate change and animal welfare (richer countries tend to emit more GHG and consume more animals).
I agree with Miniboes' conclusion but disagree with his premise as westerners often have excellent opportunities of making bank in the middle east. I have lived in the middle east and unless you are an imam no one will change his behaviors based on what you have to say.

As for the best place to live it has to be split into two parts:

1. Where is the best place for you to live while you work?

2. Where is the best place to retire?

Obviously both of the above depend on preferable weather, low crime, good Internet connection, good chance of sexual satisfaction etc. etc. However, number one depends highly on how much money (and how favorable the work conditions are) in your particular trade.

Number 2 depends highly on cost of living. I have no idea why so many elderly retire in countries like Norway, Great Britain, and Japan where their money isn't worth shit when they can live like royalty in places like Honduras, Thailand, and Namibia. Actually I do know why (family and habit) but I think these factors are way over rated.

I don't think opportunity to make a difference is a relevant factor in either case. One either has a big chance of making a small difference or a small chance of making a big difference (unless one is in the middle east and one as a zero chance of making any difference).

There are obviously places where one has a big chance of making a big difference but this is mainly economical so there is no advantage of actually living there.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

The White House.
Sure, the large house, paintings, staff, and all that stuff is good, but being able to make extremely difficult yet important desicions that could help or hurt almost everyone.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

Red wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 6:42 pm The White House.
Sure, the large house, paintings, staff, and all that stuff is good, but being able to make extremely difficult yet important desicions that could help or hurt almost everyone.
I love the White House. I visited Washington D.C. when Obama was still President. It was truly magical. It was around Christmas as well so the National Christmas Tree was nearby.

It makes me so angry that Orange Man gets to live there. Going to Washington D.C. was my second favourite holiday I have ever been on. I think if I went there now though it would be nowhere near as magical as it was when I went there due to the fact that a mentally-ill dotard is living it up there!

But come 2056 and that's all going to change, isn't it? We're going to go live in the White House, right? Right? I've contributed so I'll be Vice President, right? I'm so excited!

You said we'd live in the White House so we're going to do that, right? I literally cannot wait! You promised, Red, so it's going to happen, isn't it? Oh, if you broke that promise, I'd kill myself! But I'd have to kill you first! Oh, but I'd torture you first in ways that would make Mengele wince! But you don't have to worry about that, do you? You said that we're going to go live in the White House, so everything's fine!

NOTE: In case it isn't already obvious, I have no desire to kill myself or to kill or torture Red. I said those things as a joke.
calmcow

Post by calmcow »

I want to live in Zanzibar.
secretkeeper

Post by secretkeeper »

I think Australia is a great place to live in. I would prefer a city area.!!
cornivore

Post by cornivore »

knot wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:33 pm Personally I'd move to Japan if their immigration policy wasn't so extremely stringent.
I might try sneaking into their snow monkey sanctuary if I couldn't find a hot tub elsewhere. ;)