Share Your Recent Video Game Experiences

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
StraightVege
Diet: Vegan

Re: Share Your Recent Video Game Experiences

Post by StraightVege »

I estimate that I've spent nearly 2000 hours with the series so far—a number which will increase when I finally get around to purchasing the DLC for Dark Souls 3. Demon's Souls was the first one I ever played, so it remains very special to me. Bloodborne, I'd probably rank second, just because the combat is so fast-paced and aggressive, and I enjoy Lovecraftian stuff.

At the point you've reached, something I personally liked doing was popping down to the Depths to grab the Large Ember, then speedrunning through New Londo Ruins to obtain the Very Large Ember. After that, I grind Titanite Chunks from the Darkwraiths at the bottom of New Londo (feeding some of them to Frampt for Large Shards), and then return to the Undead Asylum to acquire a Titanite Slab from the boss there. This allows you to upgrade a weapon all the way to +15 with Andre early, making you pretty overpowered for most of the game. Have to love how non-linear and interconnected the world of Dark Souls 1 is. It's unfortunate that the following games are more straightforward.

The circles you're referring to, I believe, are called "Resonance Rings." They appear where another player has recently used a miracle, and boost the power of your own miracles when you stand near them. As for that area in Darkroot, it's the home of the Forest Hunter covenant. Until you join the covenant yourself, you will be attacked by hostile NPCs (good source of souls). Also a very popular PVP spot; expect invasions. Unlocking the door is a faster route to the boss, so I usually go that way, and just sprint through.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

Regarding Mass Effect Andromeda:

Last night I finally reached first base with Vetra! 8-)

I'm hoping to hit a home run with her pretty soon. :D

Wish me luck! :lol:

For anyone else playing MEA, which Ryder* twin are you? Who is/are your love interest(s)?

*I'm playing as default Scott Ryder.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

I'm waiting for a good sale for andromeda. My hope is that there will be a big sale this summer when I don't have to study.

I just had a week off, and having a week off for me is too short for me to get my act together and do useful things; I tend to end up reconnecting with my old internet friends and playing a ton of games. The downside is that I spend more time gaming than I would like to, the upside is that I feel really energetic and kind of excited to get back to school after a week of non-productivity. I played a lot of Overwatch, which I think is pretty great. I also played some Hearthstone and Europa Universalis IV, which I think are some of the more 'healthy' games around since they a) train strategic thinking, which is a genuinely useful skill, b) provide natural breaks and pauses and c) don't require your full attention all the time, allowing you to combine them with stuff like cleaning and listening to educative content.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

StraightVege wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:25 am I estimate that I've spent nearly 2000 hours with the series so far—a number which will increase when I finally get around to purchasing the DLC for Dark Souls 3. Demon's Souls was the first one I ever played, so it remains very special to me. Bloodborne, I'd probably rank second, just because the combat is so fast-paced and aggressive, and I enjoy Lovecraftian stuff.

At the point you've reached, something I personally liked doing was popping down to the Depths to grab the Large Ember, then speedrunning through New Londo Ruins to obtain the Very Large Ember. After that, I grind Titanite Chunks from the Darkwraiths at the bottom of New Londo (feeding some of them to Frampt for Large Shards), and then return to the Undead Asylum to acquire a Titanite Slab from the boss there. This allows you to upgrade a weapon all the way to +15 with Andre early, making you pretty overpowered for most of the game. Have to love how non-linear and interconnected the world of Dark Souls 1 is. It's unfortunate that the following games are more straightforward.

The circles you're referring to, I believe, are called "Resonance Rings." They appear where another player has recently used a miracle, and boost the power of your own miracles when you stand near them. As for that area in Darkroot, it's the home of the Forest Hunter covenant. Until you join the covenant yourself, you will be attacked by hostile NPCs (good source of souls). Also a very popular PVP spot; expect invasions. Unlocking the door is a faster route to the boss, so I usually go that way, and just sprint through.
So, I beat the Capra Demon, but got cursed by one of those frog-like things in the depths. Is Andre the blacksmith in the undead parish? Because I've given him the two things I've found, one from DrGarden, and the ember from the depths. Also, what's the best way to remove my curse? I tried a while ago with going through The Londo Ruins, but kept getting killed by ghosts. I found a trader who sells transient curses, so that should make the ruins easier, at least.
StraightVege

Post by StraightVege »

Yes, that's Andre: sounds like you've given him the Large and Divine embers. He'll take most of the embers you find, but there are a few types that only the other three blacksmiths in the game can utilize.

The Curse status effect is actually quite useful in New Londo, since it allows you to damage the ghosts permanently, unlike the limited effect of Transient Curse. To cure it, you can either use a Purging Stone, or talk to the NPC Ingward, who just so happens to be in New Londo (smart design). Purging Stones are available for purchase from the Undead Female Merchant, in the Undead Burg shortcut tunnel—turn right when facing Capra's room, and it's across from the Depths entrance door—or from Oswald of Carim, at the base of the first bell tower, where you defeated the Gargoyles. You could also trade a Cracked Red Eye Orb with the crow's nest in Undead Asylum for two stones.
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

StraightVege wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:26 am Yes, that's Andre: sounds like you've given him the Large and Divine embers. He'll take most of the embers you find, but there are a few types that only the other three blacksmiths in the game can utilize.

The Curse status effect is actually quite useful in New Londo, since it allows you to damage the ghosts permanently, unlike the limited effect of Transient Curse. To cure it, you can either use a Purging Stone, or talk to the NPC Ingward, who just so happens to be in New Londo (smart design). Purging Stones are available for purchase from the Undead Female Merchant, in the Undead Burg shortcut tunnel—turn right when facing Capra's room, and it's across from the Depths entrance door—or from Oswald of Carim, at the base of the first bell tower, where you defeated the Gargoyles. You could also trade a Cracked Red Eye Orb with the crow's nest in Undead Asylum for two stones.
I haven't played much since getting cursed, but with this info I think I'll definitely get back into it soon. Thanks. By the way, I haven't been to the Undead Asylum yet, where is it in relation to the Burg/Parish?
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

I'm working an ungodly amount of hours but I have a 3ds and I'm getting back into turn based RPG's. I must say a major advantage of the 3DS is the ability to shut the handheld and return to exactly where you left off.

Grew up on the original Final Fantasy, before they started to get.....weird. Anyway, I tried out Bravely Default, and it was O.k. enough that I bought Bravely Second (but haven't played it yet). If you've played the first, it was cool, and I loved the ability to turn off random attacks if you just were exploring a dungeon you already cleared, but the story-line seemed secondary to the actual gaming, which turned repetitive toward the middle until the end. Unless you are one of those compulsive types that can't stand not beating every secondary boss and obtaining ALL the items, this would actually have been a quick, repetitive game. But since I am one of those compulsive types, it wasn't terrible. The secondary bosses added minor additions to the story line, and required a lot more strategy than the main bosses, which were simple and at most required a few levels of grinding to obliterate. I'm hoping the second one is better. Before this, I played the Dragon Quest VIII and I enjoyed it much more. (Also bought another of those I haven't played)

I like MMORPG's but don't have the time, plus I travel and wifi gaming sucks ass. Anybody know any good games for the 3DS? I've done all the Final Fantasy games, and most of the Zelda's, and I even like the Mario's (despite their being almost too easy and short).
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
StraightVege

Post by StraightVege »

Dream Sphere wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:02 pmThanks. By the way, I haven't been to the Undead Asylum yet, where is it in relation to the Burg/Parish?
No problem. Undead Asylum is the starting tutorial area, but you can revisit it, and it will be repopulated with new enemies, items, and a boss.

To return, ride the shortcut elevator from Firelink Shrine to Undead Parish, but jump off early to a broken rooftop. From there, go right, and do a somewhat tricky roll onto the beam that's sticking out of the tower in Firelink. Climb up to the huge crow's nest (this isn't the one you trade with), and you'll have the option to "curl up into a ball." Do so, and wait a bit. Before using the crow to travel back, though, be sure to grab the Undead Asylum F2 West Key from the rooftop above Petrus of Thorolund, which you can also access from here.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

Lightningman_42 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:29 pm Regarding Mass Effect Andromeda:

For anyone else playing MEA, which Ryder* twin are you? Who is/are your love interest(s)?

So this evening Vetra tried to make a nice dinner for my character (Scott Ryder). It wasn't prepared correctly (looked all burnt), and she started fussing over how she "ruined it." So of course I responded saying that this was perfect (not the food, but her). The lengths she'll go to for those she cares about, that's amazing, and so I (as Scott) replied that I love her too. :D

Such a lovely evening! Scott Ryder had a perfect evening with Vetra! :D

Anyone else have any video game romance stories they'd like to share?
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

Lightningman_42 wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 2:28 am
Lightningman_42 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:29 pm Regarding Mass Effect Andromeda:

So this evening Vetra tried to make a nice dinner for my character (Scott Ryder). It wasn't prepared correctly (looked all burnt), and she started fussing over how she "ruined it." So of course I responded saying that this was perfect (not the food, but her). The lengths she'll go to for those she cares about, that's amazing, and so I (as Scott) replied that I love her too. :D

Such a lovely evening! Scott Ryder had a perfect evening with Vetra! :D

Anyone else have any video game romance stories they'd like to share?
In the first Mass Effect I had a really good thing going with Liara T'Soni and I was really disappointed that she wasn't available as a squad member in ME2. ME2 was my favourite game in the series for having both good dialogue and story like the first one, and good combat like 3, the only thing really missing in it was her to be honest. I know that she was in the game, but she really didn't seem like herself then, and wasn't a squad member. And, I haven't played much of ME3, so I haven't really "rekindled" anything with the character, though I didn't cheat on her, so at least she wasn't upset like I had heard that some people had gotten her by ME3. I'm going to replay the trilogy + Andromeda once I have a good gaming PC come late this year or early next year. (I'm waiting for Intel's Coffee Lake processor series, and NVidia's Volta series respectively.)