Easy Twiz, I don't want to go to war!

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Twizelby
Diet: Vegan

Easy Twiz, I don't want to go to war!

Post by Twizelby »

Ok, pretty much all of the United States knows that our wars are BS and yet protest remains soooo underrepresented. I have been trying to figure out where the protest culture of the 60's went. I got it. I know now why normal Americans who would normally voice their protest stopped talking about war. It was the draft! The draft of the Vietnam war insured that everyone knew someone who was either in Vietnam or was at risk of being drafted. That means that people had skin in the game so to speak. As such, they had the right to descent because they had something to lose. Now, we have friends in the military but it is entirely voluntary. Without the draft any dissent is without any consequence to the protester and thus seen as invalid and downright un-american.
The Ludlow amendment is a failed 1930's motion to put all wars to a national vote. I really like the idea, but there are some people in the US that seem to be okay with sending the military anywhere that is supposedly threatening our "freedom". I really don't want them voting when they face no consequences because they took the bait from Fox "news".
combining these two ideas, I vote we give any military involvement to the national vote while instituting a mandatory draft with percentages based on population IN ALL TAX BRACKETS for any war waged.
Yea I know I sound insane. I get it. But in light of the US military involvement record (heres looking at you Korea, Cambodia, Laos, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iraq again, Philippines, covert operations throughout South America, Taiwan, Cuba, Russia and the 900 Military bases on sovereign nations ), and the fact that the poorest people in our nation are consistently the grunts in a rich mans war of ideology. Shouldn't the most fortunate among us have some kind of joint responsibility? Yea it will never happen. But It's fun to think about.

What do you think?
Neptual

Re: Easy Twiz, I don't want to go to war!

Post by Neptual »

Twizelby wrote:Ok, pretty much all of the United States knows that our wars are BS and yet protest remains soooo underrepresented. I have been trying to figure out where the protest culture of the 60's went. I got it. I know now why normal Americans who would normally voice their protest stopped talking about war. It was the draft! The draft of the Vietnam war insured that everyone knew someone who was either in Vietnam or was at risk of being drafted. That means that people had skin in the game so to speak. As such, they had the right to descent because they had something to lose. Now, we have friends in the military but it is entirely voluntary. Without the draft any dissent is without any consequence to the protester and thus seen as invalid and downright un-american.
The Ludlow amendment is a failed 1930's motion to put all wars to a national vote. I really like the idea, but there are some people in the US that seem to be okay with sending the military anywhere that is supposedly threatening our "freedom". I really don't want them voting when they face no consequences because they took the bait from Fox "news".
combining these two ideas, I vote we give any military involvement to the national vote while instituting a mandatory draft with percentages based on population IN ALL TAX BRACKETS for any war waged.
Yea I know I sound insane. I get it. But in light of the US military involvement record (heres looking at you Korea, Cambodia, Laos, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iraq again, Philippines, covert operations throughout South America, Taiwan, Cuba, Russia and the 900 Military bases on sovereign nations ), and the fact that the poorest people in our nation are consistently the grunts in a rich mans war of ideology. Shouldn't the most fortunate among us have some kind of joint responsibility? Yea it will never happen. But It's fun to think about.

What do you think?
I think that America should stop brain-washing todays youth with the whole "our soldiers are dying for your freedom", our soldiers are not dying for our freedom, what their dying for is the massive amount of oil that America desperately needs. Oil is a drug to the nation, first we had a small dose, then we wanted more and more until we'd do anything to get it. America needs to cut the crap and use the many alternatives that we have for cleaner, safer, and cheaper energy sources.
She's beautiful...
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

We are not the god damn world police telling countries how to govern their people. Its really none of our business and the US should leave well enough alone.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Isaac wrote:We are not the god damn world police telling countries how to govern their people. Its really none of our business and the US should leave well enough alone.
Even though we shouldn't be the world police, the US thinks that they are and that's the problem. Ever since the Soviet Union the US seems to have a niche to interfere with other countries government and "help" them by establishing democracy there which usually ends up failing 4-5 years later.
She's beautiful...
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

dan1073 wrote:
Isaac wrote:We are not the god damn world police telling countries how to govern their people. Its really none of our business and the US should leave well enough alone.
Even though we shouldn't be the world police, the US thinks that they are and that's the problem. Ever since the Soviet Union the US seems to have a niche to interfere with other countries government and "help" them by establishing democracy there which usually ends up failing 4-5 years later.
Not only that but we are now $17 trillion in debt. A good majority of that is war exhaustion. We were smart enough to pull out of Vietnam when we knew we were beat. Apparently we've gotten more stupid.

I saw a graph of the animals that kill more than any other and humans were second only to mosquitoes. Its really quite revolting. Like wtf has war ever EVER solved that can't be done through peaceful means?
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Isaac wrote:
dan1073 wrote:
Not only that but we are now $17 trillion in debt. A good majority of that is war exhaustion. We were smart enough to pull out of Vietnam when we knew we were beat. Apparently we've gotten more stupid.

I saw a graph of the animals that kill more than any other and humans were second only to mosquitoes. Its really quite revolting. Like wtf has war ever EVER solved that can't be done through peaceful means?
You can blame Bush for allowing us to go into Iraq to find nuclear weapons which were NEVER found. And then when a new president goes into office they blame it on him(Obama in this case, not like he's done anything good in the past several years anyways). I'm not a part of any political party by the way just going by what I've experienced through life.
She's beautiful...